dilly egg salad tea sandwiches

~ dilly egg salad tea sandwiches ~

Pretty tea sandwiches, arranged just so on a tiered server or a pretty antique platter, are one of my favorite parts of a leisurely teatime. I just love all of the  textures, ingredients, breads and flavor combinations. Some of my favorites: Proper cucumber, carrot cheddar curry, flower radish with wasabi lemon mayonnaise, Paris garden, chicken salad on sweet quick bread, turkey with strawberries basil & brie, and this yummy recipe for the perfect egg salad. These little sammys are sweet and creamy with a little crunch from the pickle, and the fresh taste of dill and chives in every bite….

7 hard boiled eggs, chilled

1/4 cup real mayonnaise

2 teaspoons yellow mustard

1/4 cup fresh dill and chives, chopped fine

10 sweet pickle chips, chopped

1 Tablespoon sweet pickle juice

1 Tablespoon sugar

salt and pepper to taste

Happy TeaTime Tuesday! I’ll be back every Tuesday with more tea treats for you.

What is your favorite kind of tea sandwich?

21 comments for “dilly egg salad tea sandwiches

1. June 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Sometimes, especially at wedding or baby showers, it is so neat to see the tasty little finger foods like this all arranged so pretty!

And then when they taste as good as they look? Makes them even better!

June 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Hi Carrie 🙂 I agree…and I like all of the sandwiches to have a distinctly different flavor. makes them so much more interesting and fun to eat! xo

2. Joi
    August 7, 2012 at 8:47 am

I love dill on deviled eggs – I can’t believe I’ve never thought to put it in egg salad sandwiches. Great idea – and beautiful too!

August 7, 2012 at 9:11 am

Hi Joi! thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy this classic combination 🙂 xo

3. September 7, 2012 at 6:47 am

Just tried this and its delicious! Well I changed a couple things, I didn’t have any sweet pickles, so I just used 1 dill pickle, and I didn’t have any chives so I used green onion. I never thought of adding dill or pickles before! Thanks for sharing, lunch will be great today! ~Donika <3

September 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Hi Donika! so happy you like it! xoxoxo

• Sue
      November 1, 2013 at 6:28 am

I use dill pickles, too… Wonderful recipe and so quick and easy but yummy!

November 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I’m so happy you like these, Sue! Thanks for stopping by. XO 🙂

4. Pardeep
    October 9, 2012 at 1:43 am

What kind of bread do you recommend?

October 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

white pullman loaf, crusts removed…or dill pullman if you can find it 🙂 I special order it from a little bakery downtown. xo

5. Shirley Vacon
    November 17, 2012 at 5:17 am

Egg for sure. Always loved egg sandwiches; especially made with mayo, chopped green onions or shallots and black pepper. Like crust left on except if it is a tea party. Then will cut them off neatly.

November 17, 2012 at 8:47 am

thanks for visiting and commenting Shirley 🙂 eggsalad…soooo good! such a classic!

6. Chloe
    March 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Melissa how many sandwiches does on recipie make? I’m doing these for my friends bridal shower. They look delicious!

March 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm

oh dear…I’m not quite sure, Chloe It sort of depends on how much egg salad you like on your sandwiches…I would guess at least 8 sandwiches… (and then you cut the whole sandwiches into quarters…so 32 small triangle sandwiches.) I hope that helps.

7. ashley
    November 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm

HI! This looks yummy! I plan to make for a shower. Any reason I could not make the egg salad the night before and assemble in the morning?