turkey strawberry panini with basil & brie

~ strawberry turkey panini with basil & brie ~

I’ve been on a bit of a strawberry kick lately. LOVE these sweet little berries! It’s always fun to try new, interesting recipes using them. Funny story…A few weeks ago I made Parmesan basil stuffed chicken breasts smothered with a melted strawberry/white balsamic compote…and took some photos…and without really thinking about it, ate the plate of food I had just photographed. (The last bit of this particular dish.) The next day I was all excited about posting the photo and the recipe…

Well, here. Just take a look for yourself.

Uh. yeah. What’s missing from this photo? Uh huh. The chicken. Nowhere to be found under that massive heap of berries. So the lesson here is this : Don’t eat the last bit of food that you want to blog about until you make sure you got a good photo of it first. I don’t care how hungry you are. Hee hee πŸ™‚ Dang.

Anyhoo….instead of remaking the stuffed chicken smothered with the melted strawberries AGAIN, I decided to make a panini with similar ingredients to share with you.

To be honest, the chicken really was good, but these little sammys are PHENOMENAL. To make them you’ll need:

Thinly sliced country style bread

brie

thinly sliced deli turkey

fresh basil

strawberries

raspberry jam

fresh jalapeno

butter

Place thin slices of country bread on a work surface. Place thinly sliced brie on the pieces of bread that will be the “bottom” of the sandwich. Put a few slices of turkey on top of the brie, then basil, then strawberries. Combine some raspberry jam with a little finely chopped jalapeno. (Those little peppers are HOT when they’re fresh, so use plastic gloves when handling, and add a little at a time until it tastes good to you.) Spread the jalapeno infused jam on the “top” slices of bread, and place on top of the strawberry layer of the sandwich. Butter the sandwich as you would to make grilled cheese.

Grill on a panini grill or, on a George Foreman grill (which won’t give you quite the same look as a panini grill, but it’s what I use.) Grill until warm and melty.

17 comments for “turkey strawberry panini with basil & brie

1. March 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I have totally had days like that! Things I wanted to blog about but I was so hungry I gobbled them down right after taking the pictures and then I looked at the pics and they just weren’t right. I shouldn’t wait till I’m STARVING to make food, but I do that all the time.

Your sandwich is amazingly beautiful. And it sounds SO delicious!

March 28, 2012 at 5:00 pm

You are a kindred spirit. I knew you’d get it πŸ™‚

xoxo,
      ~M

2. March 28, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Been there, done that. Oh, how many dishes have been devoured before a single picture was taken! The sandwich looks incredible and I love that there are strawberries in there! Lovely post!

March 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm

thanks Marsha! πŸ™‚

3. March 29, 2012 at 4:03 am

Love the use of strawberry – I bet it must give a delicious sweetness… I’ve never tried strawberry in a sandwich before. Actually, that’s not true – I’ve had a strawberry and cream sandwich in Japan, but this is the first “proper” sandwich I’ve seen with strawberries!

March 29, 2012 at 6:26 am

Hi Charles πŸ™‚ Yes, the sweetness of the strawberries, the creamy brie, the spicy jam,and the fresh basil all go perfectly together. It’s such a happy, colorful, summery sandwich. Funny you should bring up strawberries and Japan. Talking about this on my post today πŸ™‚ What was that sandwich like?

• March 29, 2012 at 7:27 am

It was a bit weird – I enjoyed the “potato salad and sweetcorn” sandwich more to be honest πŸ˜€

March 29, 2012 at 7:29 am

funny! that sounds like something you’d get here in the midwest πŸ™‚ was there macaroni in it? LOL

• March 29, 2012 at 7:30 am

Haha, thankfully just the bread, ‘tater salad and corn πŸ˜€

March 29, 2012 at 7:32 am

hee hee…did you get a “bento” meal over there?

• March 29, 2012 at 7:34 am

Nope – lots of ramen though from Yokohama’s ramen museum! πŸ˜€

March 29, 2012 at 7:38 am

LOVE ramen. That sounds so funny, I know. My daughter and I use to stock up at a nearby Korean market when we lived closer to the Twin Cities. There was one type in particular that’s ridiculously spicy that is our favorite. A little olive oil and lemon squeezed over. mmmmm πŸ™‚

4. March 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm

This looks wonderful! I’ve never tried anything like it before. Great photo too!

March 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Thanks Mary πŸ™‚ It’s a yummy, easy little recipe. enjoy. xo