plum crostini

Loving this time of summer… it’s warm, but not too warm. The mornings are crisp and cool, beckoning autumn, and slowly making me interested in trading in the berries and fruits of summer for the russet, rustic fare of fall.

Plums. such a completely romantic fruit. Surprisingly, I haven’t featured them in many recipes. There are a couple on the blog though…spicy Thai Plum Wraps, berry trifle with Mirabelle cream…(Mirabelle is a Plum liqueur)… and Amelie Plum Cake (inspired by my all-time favorite movie, Amelie…) a beautiful, moist, rich plum cake that is lovely with a glass of wine or a cup of tea.

So, dear friends, here is another plum recipe I dreamed up. I’m hoping to make plum jam and a plum tart very soon too…I’ll keep you posted.

serves 3-6

6 thick slices rustic Italian bread, buttered and grilled in a skillet until golden

honey cheese spread (recipe below)

plum slices

1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar mixed with 3 Tablespoons honey

Toast the buttered slices of bread in a skillet until golden brown. Place them on a cutting board and allow them to cool a bit while you make the honey cheese spread…

honey cheese spread

4 oz. feta, chevre or cream cheese

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup honey

2 Tablespoons real mayonnaise

2 Tablespoons white wine

Place all in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth.  Spread liberally over the six toasted crostini slices. Top with slices of plum, drizzle with the honey-balsamic mixture, and sprinkle a little coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper over the top. Garnish with a sprinkling of the fresh tarragon. Enjoy with your favorite wine. Lovely as an appetizer or dessert.

What is your favorite plum recipe?

11 comments for “plum crostini

1. August 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hi Melissa! I’m sharing this on my Syrup and Biscuits FB page!

August 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm

thanks so much Jackie! enjoy 😉

2. Tanya
    August 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Lovely! I love this time of year and celebrate plums, too! I just tried a quick version of your recipe and it was splendid. Thank you!

August 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hi Tanya! I’m so pleased you like the recipe. xoxo and thanks for visiting!

3. August 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

I love the use of plums in this crostini – how creative and tasty! I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution as always). Thank you so much for keeping me inspired with such delicious creations…

August 31, 2012 at 11:54 am

Thank YOU so much for the awesome, encouraging compliments 🙂 You rock. I’ll go over and brag about you on my ChinDeep facebook page. Have a great weekend!

• August 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

It was my pleasure and thanks for the shout-out – I’m so glad you enjoyed!

August 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm

😉

4. July 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I absolutely loved this recipe. I am not one to write on blogs unless they are super good, and I must say this was just incredible. Thank You so much for sharing this recipe. I am actually going to make this again tomorrow because my kids went nuts over it! Great Job!
    *I already follow you on Facebook.

Julie

July 6, 2013 at 12:14 am

Hi there, Julie! So so pleased you like the recipe. Thank you for stopping by with a comment and feedback. It means a lot to me 🙂 xoxo ~M