grandma darling’s potato chip chicken

~Grandma Darling’s Potato Chip Chicken~

Here’s a recipe that takes me back to my childhood. My grandma makes this yummy, easy (actually pretty fattening) chicken. If you’re in the mood for a “retro” dinner, make this with mashed potatoes (mixed with cream cheese or sour cream and oven roasted garlic), gravy, and a little tossed salad. My grandma tops her crisp, iceberg lettuce salads with minced garlic cloves that have been steeping in extra virgin olive oil, Marie’s Thousand Island Dressing, tomato, cucumber, and Pepperidge Farm’s croutons. She takes a little oil out of the garlic jar and drizzles it on top of the salad for extra flavor and zing. After dinner she will serve something like tapioca pudding or strawberry shortcake for dessert.

for 4 big pieces of potato chip chicken:

~ preheat oven to 350 degrees F. ~

4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, patted dry

1 heaping cup Hellmann’s real mayonnaise (or your favorite)

9.5 oz plain potato chips, crushed

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Pat chicken pieces dry using paper towels.

Mix mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl.

Crush potato chips into a large mixing bowl.

Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, in the mayo mixture, coating evenly. Then dredge in the potato chips, pressing so chicken gets completely coated. Place coated pieces in a 9×13 baking dish.

Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or just until done and no longer pink inside.

10 comments for “grandma darling’s potato chip chicken

1. Sandy
    April 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm

OK now it looks like it’s time for me to do another article on just cookbooks….Those people like you who collect a few…I did meet some other ladies in your area that do the same…Great idea? Let me know we could add Grandma Darling’s cookbook.

2. Melissa
    April 14, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I have a bazillion cookbooks. I’ll ask Darling if she has any or if she’s passed them all to me. I know that doll eats out more than she cooks now…and why shouldn’t she? I think I’ll be doing the same when I’m 85 🙂

3. January 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Just tried this recipe last night and we loved it!! Thanks so much for posting!!

January 14, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’m so pleased you enjoyed it! xoxo and thanks for letting me know you tried it 😉

4. April 2, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh Melissa, you’ve brought back fond memories again! I had forgotten all about this recipe, but I recall vividly the first time my grandmother made and served this chicken… she was grinning from ear to ear! And no wonder 🙂 Thank you dear friend!

5. April 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

P.S. I think it’s entirely possible that my mother and your grandma were related! The salad sounds so very much like something she would have done, and she absolutely swore by Marie’s dressings (especially for cole slaw) and Pepperidge Farm Croutons! xoxo

April 2, 2012 at 11:18 am

A little bit of nostalgia for you my sweet! I love the delicious simplicity of these recipes. And the first bite is always like traveling back in time to my childhood 🙂 thanks for reminiscing with me! xo

6. August 9, 2012 at 6:03 am

Thanks for writing this very useful information you have provided for me cheers!
    retro darling

7. lynn wall
    April 10, 2014 at 8:32 am

made the potato chip chicken from retro recipe and used barbeque chips,fabulous.

April 12, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Hi Lynn! I’ve tried this with sour cream & onion chips but never BBQ! 🙂 thanks for an awesome idea!