layered taco salad {in a cake pan}

layeredtacosalad

layeredtaco2

I decided to create another layered cake pan salad! Since my other layered salad in a cake pan has been shared and pinned thousands of times, it was time to share something similar, yet new. How about a layered taco salad in a cake pan? Everyone loves taco salad!

The idea behind this salad shares the same basic concept as my classic layered salad, but this time I added a Mexican twist. I developed a thick, ranch sour cream mayonnaise so it would hold up the same way as other layered salads, and not get soggy. Make sure you drain the beans, corn, and olives very well so they don’t add unwanted moisture to your salad.

Serving a layered salad in a cake pan, as opposed to a trifle pan, makes it portable, easy to serve, and unique. Everyone will want a copy of this recipe, so be prepared to share it!

Just layer, chill, and cut into cake-like pieces! Voila!

Note: I always use the lowest sodium products I can find when I’m creating a recipe. This way I can add salt to taste just before serving. This goes for the ranch mayonnaise dressing recipe at the end of this post. If you used low sodium ingredients throughout the rest of the recipe, the ranch mayo should be fine. If you’re concerned about salt content, make the homemade version of the powdered ranch mix. It’s much lower in salt than Hidden Valley.

serves 8 to 12

1 lb. extra lean ground beef

1 small can green chilies, undrained

1 head iceberg lettuce, outer leaves removed (all other lettuces will wilt)

1 packet taco seasoning mix (or a mixture of cumin, chili powder and garlic powder)

1 cup ranch sour cream mayonnaise, divided (recipe below)

1 (15 oz.) can of your favorite beans, rinsed and drained very well

1/2 can (about 7 oz.) sweet corn, drained very well

1/2 cup chopped purple or green onion + more for top

8 oz. of your favorite tomato salsa

8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 (3.8 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained very well

1/2 lb. bacon, fried until crispy, cooled completely, and crumbled

2 jalapeno peppers, sliced

1 Roma tomato, seeds removed, chopped

ripe avocado chunks, (optional)

tortilla chips for topping

Cook the ground beef, canned chilies and taco seasoning in a skillet until beef is brown all the way through and the liquid from the chilies has evaporated. Place in refrigerator and allow to chill until completely cold. Then, place in an even layer on the bottom of a 9×13 glass cake pan. Top with a double layer of crisp, iceberg lettuce leaves (half the head), 1/2 cup of the ranch sour cream mayonnaise smoothed into an even layer, beans, corn, onion, another double layer of lettuce (press down gently after placing the lettuce,) the other 1/2 cup of ranch sour cream mayo, salsa, cheese, olives, bacon, jalapenos, tomato and a little more purple onion. Place cover or foil on cake pan and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before slicing into pieces, crunching tortilla chips over the top, and serving. Feel free to top this with avocado chunks, extra tomato chunks, and your favorite hot sauce too!

for the ranch sour cream mayonnaise:

3/4Β  cup real mayonnaise

1/4 cup full fat sour cream

3 to 6 Tablespoons dry buttermilk ranch dressing mix (homemade or Hidden Valley) add gradually, according to individual taste

Mix well. Chill until ready to use.

146 comments for “layered taco salad {in a cake pan}

1. Timini
    March 3, 2016 at 10:10 am

Looks delicious! Do you cut the lettuce in slices? Or peel the leaves and lay them down?

March 3, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Hello there πŸ™‚
      I just tore the luttuce leaves and laid them flat. Hope that helps! ~M

• Angela brooks
        February 3, 2017 at 1:35 am

Well im makeing this layer taco sald for a couple of my girl friends its my first time i hope it come out rite..

• Cheryl
      March 22, 2017 at 5:31 pm

I haven’t even made this yet, though it sounds awesome….I think I will create the entire recipe exactly as intended except just before serving place the lettuce pieces on the plate first and top with the rest of the lettuce pieces, just so they don’t wilt. What do you think?

March 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm

That should work, although I’ve never really had a big problem with this salad wilting. πŸ™‚

• Leslie
          July 24, 2017 at 2:16 pm

How is t say 2-3 days later? This would be good to make for lunches for few days.

July 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm

It’s never lasted 2 or 3 days in my house, Leslie πŸ™‚ It almost always gets eaten the same day.

• Stacy
      April 18, 2017 at 1:34 pm

be careful if you hand chop lettuce. Use a lettuce knife or it will brown. I personally thought to get a bag or two of shredded lettuce for this recipe.

• karen
        May 22, 2017 at 2:59 pm

If you use a plastic knife the lettuce will not turn brown!

May 22, 2017 at 3:21 pm

great tip! πŸ™‚

• Pamela Lloyd
      June 28, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I have found chopped works great. I use romaine rough chopped. Never bring any home!

• Steven
      July 25, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Let’s be honest. This recipe had me say Taco all the rest kids just going to make it better.

2. Julie
    March 4, 2016 at 7:40 am

What type of beans do You use?

March 4, 2016 at 7:59 am

Hi Julie,
      I’ve used all sorts of different kinds in this salad. Red, black, kidney… they all taste good. Just make sure you rinse and drain them very well before adding them to the salad. Enjoy! πŸ™‚

• Margaret
        March 7, 2017 at 2:10 am

You could use refried beans in this too… just ad a little water to them so they spread nicely

• Beverly Hardin
        June 7, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Ranch style beans

• Shirley Miller
        August 1, 2017 at 10:08 am

CHILI BEANS are best in this salad!

August 1, 2017 at 11:34 am

yum! πŸ™‚

• Rhonda
      October 30, 2016 at 6:16 am

I’m thinking a can of mild chili beans would be amazing too.

• Pam Pfenninger
        June 4, 2017 at 1:49 pm

I just made this recipe with mild chili beans and it turned out great!

June 5, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Yay!!! Thanks for sharing, Pam! πŸ™‚

3. 3LittleBirds
    March 9, 2016 at 11:30 am

Do you think this would be Ok to make right before serving so that the meat could be warm? It looks amazing!!

March 9, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Hello there πŸ™‚
      I think adding warm meat would make the lettuce wilt and get watery… If you made the entire salad without the meat (in advance) and then made up the meat right before serving, you could use the warm taco meat as a topping. Hope that helps! XO ~M

• March 11, 2016 at 7:18 am

I made this last night as a hot dish but I added the lettuce on top! Delicious! Thank you for this recipe. My children loved it

March 11, 2016 at 4:36 pm

You are so very welcome, Kristin! Thank YOU for the sweet comment! xo ~M

• Cass
        May 12, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Use spinish it makes it better with Doritos! And instead of ranch jalapeno each taste amzing. Good luck so gr8

4. March 9, 2016 at 2:11 pm

This looks very tempting!!

March 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Enjoy! πŸ™‚

5. Deanna
    March 10, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Making this tonight for dinner tomorrow!

March 10, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Yay! Enjoy, Deanna! πŸ™‚

6. Shelby
    March 10, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Does it have to chill an entire 12 hours? Or would I be safe to chill it for an hour as long as the meat was cool when I layered it?

March 10, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Hi Shelby πŸ™‚
      You don’t have to chill it the entire 12 hours… that’s just a “make ahead” suggestion. One hour should be fine. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by. Great question πŸ™‚ ~M

• Sara
        July 27, 2017 at 9:38 am

So glad you asked about the 12 hour part since I was too tired last night to make it and was worried about making it this morning and not having it turn out right!

7. Ann W. Hedgepeth
    March 10, 2016 at 10:28 pm

I’m going to make this for book club on Tuesday night but
    I’m going to leave off the hot peppers. Looking forward to serving this for my part of refreshments.

March 11, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Enjoy, Ann! πŸ™‚

8. Laura
    March 11, 2016 at 9:45 am

I think making this and using Frito Scoops to eat it with would be delicious too!!!!

March 11, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Awesome idea, Laura! πŸ™‚

9. Donna. Whelchel
    March 12, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Looks really good. I Love Taco SALAD one of my favorite.

March 12, 2016 at 5:11 pm

thanks! πŸ™‚

10. Lorie
    March 12, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I don’t like sour cream at all. Do you think it would taste ok with plain Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream?

March 12, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I don’t think the greek yogurt will hold up like sour cream does… I’m afraid it will make your salad mushy. :/ Sorry.

• Lorie
        March 14, 2016 at 12:46 am

Ok. Thanks

• Sburns
          May 11, 2016 at 1:21 pm

You probably will not even taste the sour cream, with the mayo and ranch added.

• Anne Crawford
        May 18, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I think if you use a good quality Greek yogurt like Fage and drain it well. it should work.

• Klab
        May 17, 2017 at 9:00 pm

I use plain Greek-style yogurt instead of sour cream all the time. It holds up well and doesn’t make things soggy because it’s very thick compared to regular yogurt. Hope this tip helps!

• sally
      June 28, 2016 at 10:06 pm

i use softened cream cheese /sour cream mixture but you could use just the softened cream cheese by itself

11. Tara
    March 13, 2016 at 1:43 am

Hi,
    This sounds amazing! I too think I’ll try it warm and cold (wait for summer for the cold, yum yum).
    But wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. When you say purple onion, do you mean a red onion? Want to make sure this wasn’t something I’ve not yet discovered.
    Thank you! Can’t wait to try it!

March 13, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Yay! Enjoy, Tara πŸ™‚

12. Adele Aiken
    March 13, 2016 at 10:30 am

Does the cold meat have a greasy taste or feel?

March 13, 2016 at 9:00 pm

not if you’re using lean meat (as the recipe recommends.)

13. Lindy
    March 14, 2016 at 7:37 pm

If you don’t like mayonnaise what can you substitute with?

March 15, 2016 at 9:36 am

I’ve never made it with anything else, Linday, so I really couldn’t say. Sorry about that.

• Sara
      July 27, 2017 at 9:42 am

Use Miracle Whip. I hate mayonnaise (due to eating it while pregnant and got sick) and so now I use miracle whip in exchange. Hope that helps!

July 27, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Thanks for the tip! πŸ™‚

14. Julie
    March 17, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Hi Melissa are the green chilies a must?

March 18, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Hi Julie πŸ™‚
      No, you can leave them out if you like… or substitute a little fresh, chopped jalapeno if you like. Best, ~M

• julie
        March 19, 2016 at 8:59 am

I got a question is the meat hot or spicy if the chilies are added and do I need to slice them or add them whole?

March 19, 2016 at 9:46 am

the chilies don’t really add spice, just extra flavor (sort of like green peppers)… and I buy mine already chopped up. πŸ˜‰ Hope that helps! ~M

• julie
            March 19, 2016 at 10:05 am

It does help thank you! I’m making the dish for 100 people I’m anxious to try it out it looks delicious:)

15. March 18, 2016 at 7:24 am

Holy Cow!!! 6 Tablespoons of Hidden Valley ranch mix is WAY, WAY, WAY too much!!! I had to dump all the mixture. It was crazy salty~ I’d say maybe 1 tablespoon or 1 1/2 is plenty. I just mixed until it tasted right so I don’t have the exact measurements and I think I had to use a whole lot more sour cream to tame it down! My suggestion is to taste as you mix!!!

March 18, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Hi Laurie,
      I always use the lowest sodium ingredients throughout this salad recipe, that includes making my own powdered ranch dressing mix instead of using Hidden Valley. I stated this at the beginning of the recipe…
      If you’re using little to no sodium ingredients, even using the amount of Hidden Valley mix suggested will be fine. However, if the salad has already been loaded with salt, it could be overpowering. Hope that helps! ~M

16. March 19, 2016 at 11:46 am

I’m sorry Melissa~ I didn’t read that part of the recipe. Either way, I am eating the leftovers from my party last night as I speak and it is DELICIOUS!!!! I omitted the bacon and jalapeΓ±o peppers because some of my guests didn’t like those ingredients and it is perfect. I love the addition of the corn, most taco salads don’t have corn and it is a wonderful touch! I will continue to use just a little bit of the Hidden Valley mix as I did because to me, it couldn’t have been any better! Thank you so much for this recipe, I will make it over and over again!! P.S. I used black beans in mine~ delish!

17. Jennifer
    April 9, 2016 at 8:49 am

I made this last night and tasted a bit before I put it up to chill and it was amazing! Thank you so much! I used a pack of Hidden Valley ranch dip mix instead of the actual ranch and used mayo and low fat sour cream and mixed it together with some chipotle seasoning to make my own chipoltle ranch. I brought already shredded lettuce since I find that easier to work with but since the lettuce wouldn’t hold steady when you smoothed out the dip. So to remedy this I put the ranch mix in a zip lock bag, snipped a hole at the end and used it like a cake icing bag. I did use the extra lean ground beef and it is the absolute best to use because you really have no fat residue, in addition to the beef I used shredded chicken and did half beef and half chicken just in case the people at my even want an option. I’m not sure how to upload pics on here but you can see the results on my snapchat: jenmc33

18. sarah
    April 9, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I made this a few nights ago as a “test run” for a birthday party. It looked delicious but I don’t like making brand new things for parties, just in case they aren’t as delicious as they look πŸ™‚

Luckily, we really enjoyed this! It’s a fun spin on a taco salad and will be a perfect salad dish for our upcoming party.

I did think the 6 T of ranch seasoning was too over powering for our tastes & the next time I make this I will cut that amount in half. Either way though we loved it and I’m planning on making your other cake pan salad today. Thanks so much for sharing!

April 9, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Hi Sarah! πŸ™‚

So happy you liked the recipe. As I said in my instructions, Hidden Valley Ranch Brand + the sodium content in all of the other ingredients (if not using low/no sodium products) can be a bit overwhelming. To remedy this, I use all low sodium ingredients and I make my own (much lower sodium, and much healthier) ranch dressing mix. I appreciate the comments and I think I’ll go in to the recipe and try to make this more clear in my instructions. Again, thanks for the positive, constructive feedback. It really helps! XO ~M

• Linda
        May 9, 2016 at 4:10 am

How can I get a copy of your ranch dressing mix? I want to make this for my grand daughter’s graduation next month.

19. Susan
    April 11, 2016 at 8:21 am

This looks really good. Do you think it would hold up with reduced fat mayo and sour cream? I rarely have the full fat versions on hand.

April 11, 2016 at 2:23 pm

I’ve never tried it with the lower fat versions of mayo or sour cream, so I couldn’t say for sure. My guess would be, no, because of the higher water content in low fat products. Please let me know if it works for you, and thanks so much for stopping by Susan! πŸ™‚ ~M

• Aaron's Meme
      April 20, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Sounds delish, can’t wait to try. Thank you !

20. OldTownie
    April 13, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I’d like to serve this for a luncheon with 8 men and women. What would you recommend serving with the salad? Thanks! I do enjoy your recipes and am grateful for your blog.

21. Judy Montgomery
    May 1, 2016 at 11:41 pm

I love Taco Salad. Thanks for posting yours, that gave me variety.

May 2, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Hi Judy! I’m so happy you like the recipe. Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy πŸ™‚

22. Renee
    May 2, 2016 at 10:29 pm

I don’t like mayo or sour cream, what can I use in its place.

May 3, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Ranch dressing? πŸ™‚

23. Renee
    May 2, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Please add me to your mailing list

24. MaryAnn
    May 5, 2016 at 8:49 am

Love the idea of a layered taco salad!! Is the salsa a layer or dabbed on?

25. May 7, 2016 at 2:02 am

I’m dieying to try it out,I love nachos I know I’ll love this too.

26. May 12, 2016 at 4:57 am

This is my old time favorite dip, it is so delicious

27. Michele Lepore
    May 12, 2016 at 5:34 am

looks delicious!

28. Charlene
    May 12, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Do you think it would work with chicken instead of beef?

May 13, 2016 at 12:32 pm

sure! πŸ™‚

29. May
    May 15, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Hey I just made something similar to this dish I call it taco pie, so I would make the meat first , I’ll put onions, bell peppers (yellow,red,green) diced them add it in with ground beef , season it with garlic powder ,black pepper, season salt after the meat is cooked I’ll drain it and add “lawry’s” taco seasoning ” and water let it simmer on low , now I would take a pan you would use for lasagna,
    1. Corn tortillas ,fill the bottom with two layers
    2.red enchilada sauce ,put it over the tortillas and make sure it’s covering every tortilla
    3.refried beans , just layer it on top
    4.taco meat, put an evenly amount
    5.cheese, any kind you prefer , I use shredded Cheddar and mozzarella
    6. Veggies , what ever you prefer
    7. Start it over but this time only use one layer of tortillas
    8. To top it off add tortillas ,enchalda sauce ,and cheese
    9. Cover and bake for 45 mins at 350
    10. When its cooled off add diced tomato’s ,lettuce , and sour cream 😎

May 16, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Sounds SO good! Thanks, May! πŸ™‚

30. Valerie Lynch
    May 16, 2016 at 4:28 pm

This sounds delicious. Taco anything is one of my favourites. I am definitely going to make this for a Pot Luck I’m going to in a couple of weeks. Thanks muchly.

May 16, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Thanks, Valerie! πŸ™‚ Enjoy!

31. Patsy Scott
    May 19, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I Love all of your recipes!!!! My Niece puts them on FB. So i save them them throught her. But would be nice if i could receive them. Have left my EMail address below. Plan to make Taco Salad, looks Delicious !!!!!!

May 20, 2016 at 11:58 am

So happy you’re enjoying my recipes! I’ll add you to my mailing list. My first newsletter will be coming out soon and that way you can get even more recipes! Thanks, Patsy! πŸ™‚

• Vickie
        August 11, 2017 at 11:18 am

Can you add me to your mailing list please?? My e-mail is vickieswright@gmail.com & Thank you, you have some awesome recipes. Love them ❀

32. Lynn
    May 19, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Will it work using a non glass pan?

May 20, 2016 at 11:56 am

I like using glass pans because they have a non-reactive surface that won’t react to food the way some metals (such as aluminum and copper) will. When you use a reactive pan your food can pick up a funny, meatllic flavor and sometimes it will even turn your food green. If your pan is stainless steel or glass, it will have zero reaction to food. Hope this answer helps! πŸ™‚ ~M

• V. Medlock
        July 21, 2017 at 10:33 am

Hi, Melissa. My question is the same as Lynn’s from 05/19/16. If you advise against aluminum pans, is there any kind of disposable pan that comes to mind that can be used? I really don’t like the hassle of trying to retrieve my dishes after I’ve used them to cook for other people. So, something disposable would be great. Thanks!!!

July 23, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I guess if you need to use a disposable pan aluminum is the only way to go… Or, you could prepare your salad in a disposable 9×13 Gladware. Hope that helps!

33. Mike Webber
    May 20, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Will make this, sounds so good. But I like the idea of the taco meat warm if I am serving this for home. Would put the lettuce shreded on just before serving.

May 20, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Great idea, Mike! Yes, just keep your lettuce and taco meat separate until ready to serve πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by to comment.

34. Anne
    May 21, 2016 at 12:09 am

I made for my girls game night last night, it was fabulous, thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

May 21, 2016 at 9:52 am

Hi Anne! I’m so happy you like the salad πŸ™‚ It’s definitely one of our favorites too. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment. XO ~M

35. Bonnie R.
    May 22, 2016 at 7:29 am

I am going to make this sounds really tasty, thank you so much for the recipe!

May 23, 2016 at 2:29 pm

My pleasure! Enjoy πŸ™‚

• November 11, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Love every thing you put on face book.great for church dinners.

November 11, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Hi there, Lovely! Thanks for the sweet compliment! Glad you like the recipes! XO ~M

36. Chey
    June 10, 2016 at 6:36 am

I’m looking for something portable to take to potluck. This could be it! Sounds delicious. I have a question: Does it taste off or a little weird with the ground beef served chilled?

June 10, 2016 at 7:37 am

Hi Chey,
      I’ve made this several times for potlucks and picnics and everyone loves it. The ground beef tastes great, but if you’re concerned you could always substitute cold, cooked, cubed chicken for the beef.

Hope that helps! Enjoy!
      ~M

• Chey
        June 10, 2016 at 11:44 am

Thank you so much for the reply. I do believe this will be my potluck dish needed for Monday. : )

June 10, 2016 at 12:02 pm

My pleasure, Chey πŸ™‚ Enjoy! That salad is one of our favorites!

37. wendy
    July 8, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I substituted the meat for lentils and made a low-fat vegetarian version, it tasted so good

July 9, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Hi Wendy! I’m so happy you enjoyed the salad! Love your vegetarian rendition! Fabulous! πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for trying my recipe and for stopping by. XO ~M

38. Sue
    July 12, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Please send me your newsletter. Thank you.

39. Virginia see
    August 13, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Love your recipes. Make and sub for low carb.. Easy and delicious.

August 13, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Glad to hear it, Virginia! πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by! xo ~M

40. Lea
    August 29, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Wonderful .. My lettuce got a bit soggy in 12 hours… I drained everything very well… I think I will make and serve .. I’m going to try chicken next time too.. My husband wrapped his in a tortilla and said better than chipotle .

August 30, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Hi Lea! I’m so pleased you like the recipe! Thanks so much for stopping by. XO ~M πŸ™‚

41. Mary Robinson
    August 30, 2016 at 6:20 am

Just discovered your site and love your recipes. Please add me to your mailing list so I can continue to enjoy your recipes.

August 30, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Hi Mary! Thanks so much for the sweet compliment. I’m so happy you like my blog and recipes. I will add you to the mailing list. XO ~M

42. S jones
    November 1, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Thought it was very good. Used lean ground pork which tends to be more flavorful than beef. Added cilantro. Suggest a simplified concise format for better printing. Very pretty salad.

November 1, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Glad you like the salad! Thanks for stopping by to comment πŸ™‚

43. Cheryl Sullivan
    November 7, 2016 at 12:03 am

My mom makes a taco salad similar to this and mixes it together and pours western dressing mixed with taco sauce over everything! It gets watery. I might have to try this and serve it warm like the Dorito Casserole I make. I like the Ranch in this! I can’t wait to try it! May have to add some homemade Spanish (red rice) rice as a layer too!

November 7, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Hi Cheryl! So happy you like the recipe πŸ™‚ Love your renditions. Thanks for visiting, and for commenting. ~M

44. Traci
    November 12, 2016 at 6:49 am

It says 1 cup ranch sour cream mayonnaise as an ingredient it’s that 1 cup of each?

November 12, 2016 at 9:21 am

Hi Traci! πŸ™‚
      No, see at the bottom of the recipe? There’s another recipe for the ranch sour cream mayonnaise. That’s what you use for this recipe.
      Hope that helps! ~M

45. Jacqui
    January 29, 2017 at 6:04 pm

This was soooo good! I would definitely make it again!

January 30, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Yay! Thanks for letting me know, Jacqui! πŸ™‚

46. Leona
    March 4, 2017 at 10:55 am

Added chorizo instead of bacon and cilantro. Yummm

March 6, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Whoa! Good call πŸ™‚ Enjoy, and thanks so much for stopping by, Lovely. XO ~M

47. Heather
    May 3, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Suggestions if I want to make this a warm dish?

May 7, 2017 at 9:51 pm

I’ve never made this warm.

48. Elizabeth
    June 11, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Can this be made the night before ?

June 12, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Yes πŸ™‚

49. July 5, 2017 at 2:01 pm

I made this for July 4th and it was a hit! I added green peppers rather than the added heat of jalapeΓ±os. I also mixed tomatillo salsa verde in while cooking my beef. And instead of layering the lettuce (I chose the shredded iceberg kind), we kept that separate to use as desired with leftovers. I added a layer of crushed tortilla chips. To give us the giggles, I created a mini “me” by adding a dollop of sour cream and guacamole along with some shredded lettuce, cheese and tiny cherry tomatoes. Very yummy & cute! I posted a photo of it on my Instagram, if anyone is interested. https://www.instagram.com/sparklebymonica/

Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe!! We’re going to eat the yummy leftovers tonight.

July 6, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Yay!!! Thanks so much for commenting, Monica! And thanks for the shout out on Instagram. Great photos, BTW!!! XOXO ~M

50. C
    July 13, 2017 at 7:14 pm

I’d like to make this using shredded chicken or more veggies instead of ground beef. What do you think?

July 17, 2017 at 9:33 am

Great idea! πŸ™‚

51. Kris
    July 17, 2017 at 5:15 am

I made this for work. Used mild chili beans homemade ranch mix and since most of the ladies can’t tolerate spicy I just put the jalapenos on the side. Thought I’d be bringing home leftovers for the next day dinner but no such luck. They ate every bite of it….there’s only six of us!!! Thanks so much for a great recipe.

July 17, 2017 at 9:32 am

Yay!!! So happy everyone enjoyed the salad! Thanks for letting me know, Kris! XO ~M

52. Mary
    July 20, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Made it for a family get together last week, used romaine lettuce and chopped it. Actually made it lower fat with lite mayo and sour cream, everyone raved about it. Making it for another gathering this weeken.

July 23, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the salad, Mary! πŸ™‚