oven roasted veggie rice

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

We just returned from a beautiful riverside picnic. Can’t wait to tell you more about that tomorrow for my six senses post.

Tonight is the blue moon, so we’ll be outside on the deck photographing…sipping blue moon wine, looking at the Sky Walk app for the iPad and gazing up at the sky.

I am just so happy to be feeling well again. I was ‘under the weather’ for about three weeks, and when you aren’t EVER sick, that is a looooong time. especially in the summer. yuck.

Anyhoo…here’s a quick, easy, recipe for a beautiful rice medley to serve with anything grilled… especially lovely with fresh grilled shellfish or scallops! So many veggies in this pretty little dish, you don’t really need a salad, but I always like to serve a crunchy, cold salad for contrast and texture…and, well, vitamins and fiber and all that ;)

3 cups hot, cooked rice (your favorite variety)

2 large carrots, shaved with a carrot peeler

2 cups chopped, sweet bell pepper in a variety of colors

2 cups fresh mushrooms

6 spring onions, coarse chopped

1 and 1/2 cups grape tomatoes

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

1 Tablespoon fennel seeds

1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

thyme for garnish

Cook or steam rice according to package directions. Cover and set aside to keep warm. Place all veggies in a large mixing bowl. Toss with salt, pepper, and oil. Spread out evenly on a large baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until slightly caramelized and fragrant.

When ready to serve, toss the rice with some butter or olive oil and the fennel, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and curry. Pour into a big, pretty serving bowl. Top with the oven roasted veggies, and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.

37 comments for “oven roasted veggie rice

1. Sarah
    September 27, 2012 at 9:20 am

This looks beautiful! I am making this tomorrow night – might add some chopped eggplant also, as it would go well with the peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms.

September 27, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thanks Sarah! love the eggplant idea :) enjoy.

2. Patricia Carr
    October 7, 2012 at 4:54 am

This was delicious!!! I only made 2 cups of rice to the prescribed amount of vegetables and it was a perfect balance. The addition of fennel seeds was so nice – I wonder if throwing a bulb of fresh fennel into the oven with the other veggies would be nice! Definitely making this one when I have a houseful of guests at our house for our daughters wedding. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!!

October 7, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hello Patricia! so pleased you enjoyed the recipe. Yes! oven roasted fennel would be beautiful in this. Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for visiting :)

3. October 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I love this! It is totally my kind of food :)

October 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Hi Julie! Enjoy ;) xo

4. katie
    January 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

this is so colorful and delicious looking that I could lick the screen. I wonder if cooking the veggies at 350 would really carmelize them or if the moisture from the veggies would cause them to just steam? I saw another recipe for carmelized veggies that said to bake at 450.

January 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hi Katie! You certainly can caramelize/roast the veggies at a higher temperature if you like… just reduce the cooking time a bit. :)

• michelle
      January 23, 2014 at 7:34 pm

oh Katie. . . let me tell you! oven at 350 does indeed carmelize the veggies. not steam like at all. i encourage you to try the recipe as is before you start changing it up because it is definitely perfect as is. i’ve made this dish several times and the first time i made it, my husband just about died when he had his first bite. said it was his new favorite dish and was so socked when i told him there was no meat or animal products in the dish. :-)
      happy cooking!

January 23, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thanks so much for the awesome review of the recipe, Michelle! XO ;)

• Michelle
          January 29, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Thank you so much for the awesome recipe Melissa! :-)

February 2, 2014 at 9:14 am

My pleasure, Michelle! :)

5. DG
    February 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I was wondering that, too, maybe roasting the veggies at a little bit higher temp. Anyone?

January 23, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Hello :) You can still oven roast veggies at 350, it just takes a bit longer. I did this because I had something else that needed to be cooked at 350, so I just put them both in the oven at the same time. You can oven roast the vegetables for this rice dish at a higher temp. if you like, just reduce cooking time.

6. lauren
    February 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I’m making this one day next week :) might add tofu though

February 2, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Hello Lauren! enjoy :)

7. Rachel
    February 7, 2013 at 6:54 am

Beautiful and simple to make! Great recipe! Few too many fennels seeds for my preference – will add a little less next I make this…thanks for sharing this!

February 7, 2013 at 9:32 am

Hi Rachel! so pleased you enjoyed it! yes, I like piles of fennel. hee hee. xo, thanks for visiting!

8. Michelle
    April 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Wow, wow, wow!!! Sooo good. This is now one of my favorite things to make! My husband loved it and I definitely earned browny points! :)
    Thanks for the share!!!

April 13, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Hi there Michelle! thanks for visiting! so happy you like the recipe :) XOXO

9. crufflergal
    May 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Hello, I made this dish this evening. It was a huge hit around the table. I am making it next time with some shrimp-keep the great recipes coming please:)

May 8, 2013 at 12:05 am

Hello there! thanks so much for stopping by to comment and to let me know the recipe was a success! :) xo ~M

10. Greg
    May 19, 2013 at 8:36 am

The picture is beautiful but as any internet cook knows its all about the reviews. Based on that I am so making this next week! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

May 19, 2013 at 10:47 am

Hi there Greg! Thanks for stopping by! enjoy the recipe ;)

11. Julie Berdan
    September 23, 2013 at 12:14 pm

This was awesome, I put fennel in to, everybody loved it! Thanx for a great receipe.

September 23, 2013 at 4:05 pm

My pleasure, Julie! I’m so glad everyone enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by :)

12. January 18, 2014 at 8:02 am

Made this last night and my boyfriend and I loved it! The only thing I did differently was substitute eggplant for the mushrooms. Next time I think I will leave out the fennel because we’re not huge fans. This recipe will definitely be coming back in our house and it was so easy!!

January 23, 2014 at 9:50 pm

So glad you tried it! love your renditions! thanks for commenting, Jenna :) xo

13. Cheryl
    April 17, 2014 at 9:00 am

I can’t wait to make this! Looks phenomenal, thank you!

April 17, 2014 at 2:18 pm

My pleasure, Cheryl! So glad you like the recipe! Thanks for stopping by and for commenting :)

14. June 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm

This recipe is SO good! I adapted it to be served with gluten-free meatballs because my husband isn’t much a fan of gluten-free pasta and it works perfectly for that! Thanks so much for sharing.

June 22, 2014 at 7:56 am

I Kiki! :)

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Love the idea of serving it with gf meatballs. I may have to give that a try. Thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving a comment. XO ~M

15. Penny
    November 24, 2014 at 10:22 am

Delicious! We make a lot of oven roasted veggies in this house, but adding the rice is a step up! So good!

November 24, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I’m so happy you like my recipe, Penny! Enjoy, and thanks for visiting! :)