big homemade buttered pretzels

~ big homemade buttered pretzels ~

These are the best big, soft pretzels I’ve ever had. Gracie is on Spring break this week and we’ve been busy creating things in the kitchen. We made these yesterday, and decided to dress them up three different ways! YUM!

for the dough:

5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons sugar

4 and 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast (not fast acting)

2 scant cups warm water

Place all ingredients in Kitchen Aid mixer bowl. Beat until mixed well. The dough will be kind of hard to knead, add a tiny bit more water, if needed. Knead until soft and smooth, About 5 minutes.

Place dough in a buttered glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes. It should be noticeably puffed, but not necessarily doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Oil two large baking sheets. When the 30 minutes is up, transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces.

Allow the pieces to rest, uncovered, for 5 minutes. This will make the dough much easier to handle. Combine 1 cup warm water and 1/4 cup baking soda in a shallow bowl. Roll each of the 12 pieces into a 28 inch rope. Shape into a pretzel.

Dip each pretzel in the soda wash, and place 6 on each baking sheet.

Sprinkle each of the pretzels with coarse kosher salt. Allow them to rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 4 minutes. Rotate baking sheets. Bake an additional 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the pretzels from the oven and brush generously with melted butter.

We made 3 different flavors…

~ Plain ~

salted and buttered

dip – yellow mustard

~ Italian ~

salted, buttered, sprinkled with Italian seasoning, grated Parmesan cheese and garlic powder

dip – warm marinara sauce

~ Churro ~

salted, buttered, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar

dip – dark chocolate syrup

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

27 comments for “big homemade buttered pretzels

1. April 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Definitely going to make these soon! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

April 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm

enjoy, Carrie! 🙂

• Andrea-Ilona Weidemann
      January 24, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Wonderful,i`ll love this recipe!!
      I can not bake in my oven 🙁 But in future i`ll make this 🙂
      Lovely greetings from Andrea <3

January 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Sorry to hear your oven isn’t working, Andrea 🙁 We just had to replace ours not too long ago. What an expensive pain! So glad you like the recipe 🙂 xoxo

2. April 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm

These look so yummy! I have to make pretzels for First on the First, so I will have to keep your recipe in mind!

April 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm

enjoy Brianne!

3. Beverley
    April 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm

my boys will love these when they come home from University

thank you for the recipe and reminding me to make them again

xoxo

April 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’m so pleased you like the recipe Beverley! enjoy! 🙂

4. cathy smith
    April 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. I will post as soon as soon as I finish making them.
    Cathy

April 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm

my pleasure Cathy! xoxo…enjoy!

5. shivani
    August 17, 2012 at 2:56 am

tried them!! they were good..because u didnt mention i didn’t knead the dough much after rising..

August 17, 2012 at 8:00 am

I’m so glad you like them! thanks so much for stopping by! 🙂

6. Natasha
    October 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I was so intimidated to make pretzels but this recipe was so simple and worked perfectly. Thank you so much! I made them for a friends birthday as a gift:)

October 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

YAY! I’m so glad you like them! 🙂 enjoy, and thanks so much for visiting!

7. Janet
    January 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Omg they came out lovely. Left the plain ones in too long so slightly crispy but cinammon and cheese pretzels came out weeeellll xx

January 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

so glad you like them, Janet! thanks for visiting! 🙂

8. January 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Melissa,

made the Pretzel and awesome recipe….taste so good 😉

January 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Hi Izzy! SO happy you like the recipe! thanks for trying and for visiting 🙂

9. Deana
    September 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I am so glad I found your recipe. They are wonderful!!! I am always on the lookout for snacks that the girls can take to school, and by girls I mean my 2 college daughters. lol

September 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Hello, Deana! I’m so pleased you like the recipe. this is a fun one, and yummy too! Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by to leave a comment! Come back soon! XO ~Melissa

10. September 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hi Mel!! What a completely cool recipe! I’m thinking of making the cinnamon version. Just curious, for the soda wash, can I substitute baking soda with baking powder? How exactly does the soda wash affect the pretzel results? thanks my dear!!

xoxo,felicia

11. Sharon
    May 22, 2014 at 11:01 am

Just made these and they are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! I made six into cheese and garlic sprinkled on top and six with cinnamon and sugar on top and then I melted some white chocolate chips and drizzled over the top of that!!!! I made the dough in my bread maker and it worked great!!!

May 22, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Hi Sharon! Yay! I love hearing success stories 🙂 I’m so glad you like them. Enjoy and thanks so much for trying my recipe and for the awesome comment. XO ~M

12. Azniv
    January 10, 2015 at 9:20 am

Thank you dear Melissa for the recipes. They are very delicious.

13. Johanna
    January 10, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I’m German, living in the US, and I miss “Brezeln”. These come very close. Thank you!! I’ve made them twice now, and even the kids love them. They have the perfect crunch on the outside, while being soft and fluffy on the inside.
    I put a little bit of cold, unsalted butter on the salted pretzels, and I’m home.
    I have also made honey mustard dip with them, amazing. And lastly, I made a traditional German dip for soft pretzels, “Spundekaes”, and of course that was a hit too.

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe!