buttermilk pie

~ buttermilk pie ~

This is considered an old Southern “hard times” pie. It’s made with simple ingredients and it’s pure heaven. Jeff and Gracie just love it, and it’s fantastic served at room temperature or chilled.

1 prebaked 9-inch pie shell

2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 and 1/4 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 stick (1/4 pound) unsalted butter

3 large eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Bake pie crust at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a baking sheet to cool a bit while you mix up the other ingredients. Keep the oven on.

Blend flour with sugar and salt, whisk in the melted butter (that is liquified but not sizzling. If it’s really hot, let it cool a bit before whisking in.) Beat the eggs and whisk them in. Add the buttermilk, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour into the baked pie shell. Slide the pie, still on the baking sheet, into the oven on a rack that has been placed in the lower third of the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350, or until a knife inserted in the pie comes clean. The center of the pie will still be a bit jiggly but will set up when cool. Cool on a wire rack.

23 comments for “buttermilk pie

1. April 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm

it sure looks delicious, smooth and perfect

April 9, 2012 at 12:05 am

Thanks Beti! 🙂

2. April 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm

We just love Buttermilk and this is a great recipe, it looks delicious! Hope you have a wonderful week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

April 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hi Miz Helen! So pleased you like the recipe! Thanks for hosting “Full Plate Thursday,” and thanks for stopping by!

3. GuinR
    September 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Must make this first chance i get.

September 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

YAY! 🙂 enjoy, and thanks for visiting! xo

4. Beth
    January 28, 2014 at 5:44 am

I have all the ingredients and my mouth is ready for this southern classic. I love Buttermilk pie! Thanks!

January 28, 2014 at 7:02 pm

yay! enjoy 😉

5. Beth
    January 28, 2014 at 5:46 am

ps I love, Love, LOVE the tablecloth in the photo; takes me back to my childhood (for a moment).

January 28, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Thanks so much, Beth! 🙂

6. beth
    February 21, 2014 at 11:05 am

I made your buttermilk pie a few weeks ago (I made it with coconut) and it was wonderful and simple. There was no need to go buy any out of the ordinary ingredients, matter of fact, I had everything on hand. Scrumptious!

February 22, 2014 at 6:55 am

I bet the coconut was amazing! thanks for sharing your renditions. It’s always nice to have a few substitutions, that are tried and true, in my back pocket so I don’t have to run to the store 🙂 So pleased you enjoyed my recipe! XO ~M

May 22, 2014 at 8:09 am

I’m so glad you like the recipe! 🙂 Thanks for letting me know!

7. Pingback: Life of Pies…
  8. aiden
    May 14, 2014 at 7:46 am

I love buttermilk pie but I can only find it once a year in a pie shop here in Seoul. Thank you for the easy recipe! I can’t wait to make it soon!

May 15, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Hi Aiden! I’m so glad you discovered my recipe. I hope you love this pie as much as I do. Simple and delicious! 🙂 Thanks for commenting!

• aiden
        May 17, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I made it last night finally and it was wonderful! thank you again for the recipe! i really enjoy your blog and following you on facebook. Everything looks so good and the recipes I have tried, have been awesome.

May 22, 2014 at 8:11 am

Hi Aiden! I’m so pleased that you tried and enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for the awesome compliment. You made my day 🙂 ~M

9. Caitlyn
    December 30, 2015 at 10:10 am

Your pie looks wonderful! I just made this following your recipe and I have two questions.

Is it typical for the butter to seep through, bubble, and pool?

And…

When your recipe says until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, does that mean including no oil from the melted butter? The custard looks like it set (it’s still cooling) but no matter how many times I inserted the knife, it had a film from the butter.

Thanks so much!

January 1, 2016 at 2:16 pm

A little butter pooling is normal, as is a thin film of butter when you insert the knife. You know it’s done when no actual custard remains on the knife 🙂 Great questions! Thanks for stopping by and for trying my recipe. This is a favorite dessert in our house. Enjoy! ~M

10. Vicky
    May 19, 2016 at 7:18 am

I make another buttermilk pie recipe from my Indiana Historical Cookbook. I add a squeeze of lemon to the filling. Deelish. Thanks for sharing this one.

Vicky

May 20, 2016 at 11:59 am

Sounds lovely, Vicky! 🙂 We love lemon too. Thanks for the tip.