proper cucumber sandwiches

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

cukesammyfreshbasil-DSC_0068

I invited my friend Nancy over for a relaxing lunch to celebrate her birthday. Before she arrived, I lit candles everywhere, started Nora Jones playing low over the iPod dock, put the tea kettle on the stove, and made a batch of proper cucumber sandwiches. I’ve made almost as many cucumber sandwiches as I have scones, and that’s A LOT. When I was working at Tale of Two Sisters we would make them with fresh basil in the warm months when the herb garden was providing a prolific harvest. In the autumn and winter months we made them with cream cheese and pesto. I’ve started making them a little different since I worked there. All three ways are fantastic. Here’s my cucumber sandwich riff.

for 6 pieces of bread:

In a food processor, combine 3 oz. cream cheese with 2 Tablespoons real mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon minced, fresh garlic and 2 teaspoons dry Italian seasoning. Mix until fully incorporated. Spread the mixture evenly among 6 slices of sandwich bread.

Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Top with thin slices of cucumber (peeled or unpeeled.)

Put the tops on the sandwiches. Using a sharp chef’s knife, remove the crusts.

Cut into fourths and voila…the quintessential, English cucumber sandwich.

(recipe variation ~ add fresh basil leaves! shown in photo at very top)

We enjoyed a lovely afternoon…

I served the lunch in my new favorite style…

teacup lunch!

Happy Teatime Tuesday!

xoxo,

18 comments for “proper cucumber sandwiches

1. Ann Carrico
    October 11, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love these!!

2. Melissa
    October 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

Me too! They’re so yummy. Thanks for commenting ;)

3. Kimber Dunn
    October 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

Yup – these looked sooooo yummy that I made them for lunch yesterday, and they were soooooo good that I made them again for my dinner!! ;0) Thanks!!

October 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

YAY! I’m so glad you like them. They’re one of my favorites too ;)

4. January 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm

What’s better than a proper cucumber sandwich? yum :)

January 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm

exactly! these are addictive little sammys. enjoy :)

5. RobinLynn
    October 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

Even High School students love these. They were the first thing to go at my daughters Graduation Party at our house. I couldn’t make them fast enough.

October 16, 2012 at 11:21 am

I know what you mean Robin! My friend Nancy and I joke about how cucumber sandwiches are worse than potato chips ;) It’s amazing how easily they go down. hee hee. xo

6. susan
    March 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

I would add fresh sliced onion, replace the italian seasoning with fresh dill, and replace the mayo with greek yogurt. Then it would be perfect for me!

September 19, 2013 at 4:07 pm

sounds like an awesome, healthier rendition, Susan! :)

7. Patricia
    September 20, 2013 at 4:20 am

I will be bookmarking and trying these real soon. I am curious about the tea cups that are stacked on top of each other…..

September 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Hi Particia! :) Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment! Enjoy the cucumber sammys, and… the stacked teacups are a fun way of serving lunch “teacup” style… just follow this link to read more. Happy Weekend!

8. Sally
    June 13, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I love cold cucumber sandwiches in the summer – also like them with thin slices of crisp red radishes for a different twist occasionally! Your pictures are making me VERY hungry for one right now!!

June 16, 2014 at 7:42 am

Hi Sally! :)

Ooh! yes! I love radishes too. I’ve never tried to add them to my cucumber sandwiches, but I do make a tea sandwich with them, if you’d like to try my version ;) Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! :) XO ~M

• Sally
        November 8, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Another sammie post for me to try – thank you for the link!!

9. Shene
    June 15, 2014 at 9:12 am

These are heavenly thank you for sharing!!! Even my 2.5yr old loved loved them

June 16, 2014 at 7:43 am

Hi Shene! :)

I’m s glad to hear these little sandwiches were a hit! :) Thanks for visiting ! XO ~M

10. Janei
    November 7, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Thanks for posting these delicious sandwiches. My middle school-er adores them and now makes these for her lunches!