Cooking Together~ Making Peanut Butter & Bacon Cookies with TJ

Today we had one of our best friends, TJ, down to our place. We watched Elf, and made up a couple batches of Peanut Butter & Bacon Cookies. We are all bacon enthusiasts and thought the idea of adding bacon to peanut butter cookies sounded interesting. Sooooo, I found a recipe online and we played with it to suit our tastes. So far this is what we’ve come up with. They’re pretty darn yummy. I may try making a maple glaze to drizzle over the tops of them next time we make them.

~Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies~

2 cups all-natural chunky or smooth peanut butter

3 Tablespoons bacon drippings

1 cup brown sugar, tightly packed

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 lb. bacon, cooked, cooled and diced

coarse sea salt or coarse kosher salt

In a skillet over medium high heat, fry up bacon until cooked through and let cool on paper towels until cool enough to dice. Β Dice up and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixer, or by hand, combine peanut butter, bacon drippings and sugars until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and baking soda and mix for another 2 minutes.

Set aside a little bacon for garnishing the tops of the cookies. Fold in the rest of the cooked bacon. Β  Roll into large walnut sized balls…

and create a cris-cross pattern with a fork…

add a little bacon garnish and coarse salt to each cookie…

Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a baking sheet for five minutes before serving. Will keep in an airtight container for 3 days. Freeze the rest.

10 comments for “Cooking Together~ Making Peanut Butter & Bacon Cookies with TJ

1. Margarita Goddess
    December 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm

LOVE your creativity….what a fun day! I love odd recipes…I may just have to try this one!!!

2. admin
    December 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Thanks Kris *ahem* I mean, Margarita Goddess! These are not your everyday peanut butter cookies, that’s for sure! They are unique, but not at all strange. I love the salty, smoky flavor the bacon lends to this recipe. Enjoy! XO

3. Kimber Dunn
    December 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

Interesting…. Not sure I’ll try this one LOL but you never know. I love seeing the pictures you took!!

4. admin
    December 20, 2010 at 11:38 am

It was such a fun day with TJ πŸ™‚

5. Chantelle
    December 21, 2010 at 8:36 pm

LOVE it! I love the pics – looks like it was great fun….I see T.J.! πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to try these out. I’m thinking that Santa would LOVE these on Christmas Eve.

6. admin
    December 21, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Perfect choice of cookie for Santa πŸ˜‰

7. Cami
    December 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I was skeptical about this recipe, but “don’t knock it till you try it” are words I like to live by…. especially when it comes to cookies! So, I made these at home this morning…. I halved the recipe though, just in case. I can’t put them down. Wow, what a wonderful combination of flavors!!! Definitely tops my list of yummy cookies to make again and again!! Thanks for sharing, Melissa!!!

8. admin
    December 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm

You’re welcome, Cami! I am so pleased that you like them. XO

9. December 23, 2010 at 9:35 am

That was a great day. The cookies are amazing. The only problem with them is that they’re too good… We need to make more. Now.

10. admin
    December 23, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hee hee…I’ll get you the ingredients and let you make some more Jeffie…

My ‘cookie maker’ is temporarily broken πŸ˜‰