Candied Broccoli Salad

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

candiedbroccolibluebowl-DSC_0049_2

photograph by Melissa Placzek

~Candied Broccoli Salad~

Fry 1 lb honey-maple bacon until crisp.

Blot with paper towels.

Chop up bacon and set aside.

In a big bowl, combine:

1 big bunch broccoli, chopped

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 heaping cup raisins

1/2 small onion, chopped fine

1 cup mayonnaise (lite, if you wish)

1/2 cup sugar or honey

1 Tablespoon white vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper

add the chopped bacon

Cover and chill until ready to serve.

26 comments for “Candied Broccoli Salad

1. February 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm

wow! sounds yummy but sweet. is it really sweet or just a bit? does the vinegar provide tang or more of a balance. thanks for a gerat idea on how to make broccoli! always looking for something new for the girls!

• cindy
      March 25, 2014 at 10:30 am

It’s no too sweet.You can always reduce the sweetener you use. Taste the dressing before you add to the salad.

• Pam
      March 17, 2015 at 9:13 am

I use red wine vinegar instead of white

2. admin
    February 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm

This is pretty darn sweet. I’ve actually made it with plain bacon and less sugar, (1/3 c or 1/4 c)…this will cut down on the sweetness. Also, adding a little extra vinegar will make a less-sweet version. Careful to only add a Tablespoon at a time as to not make it too tangy or “watery.” ๐Ÿ˜‰ You’re welcome! Enjoy!

3. Dana
    February 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Yum!

4. admin
    February 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm

You’ll like this one Dana. Sweet and salty ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Emily
    January 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Looks and sounds so good!

January 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm

thank you! and thanks for stopping by! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. lindsay
    September 7, 2013 at 9:58 am

I make a variation of this. I use cranberries instead of raisons, pumpkin seeds, and shredded cheese. The dressing is mayonnaise and red wine vinegar. I also sometimes skip the cheese and use poppy seed dressing.

September 7, 2013 at 9:31 pm

oohh! your version sounds wonderful, Lindsay! thanks for stopping by and for commenting! XO

7. Chanley
    September 12, 2013 at 9:27 am

How many does this serve?

September 12, 2013 at 11:39 am

Hi Chanley, this serves 8 to 12 depending on serving size… I like this as a side salad or a little appetizer salad served in teacups. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chanley
        October 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hi, appreciated your reply, so if I’m wanting 8-10 oz. of a serving what would you say this serves?

October 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Hi Chanley, I can’t say for sure as I have never really measured it out by the 8 oz. serving. I’d say you’d be safe saying 8 servings. Probably more.

8. Christine
    June 18, 2014 at 10:01 am

I make the same one, only difference is I use Apple Cider Vinegar, and to make it more of a meal type, I just add a few chunks of your my favorite Cheddar!

June 22, 2014 at 8:29 am

YUM! your version sounds amazing, Christine! ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for the ideas! XO ~M

9. Rudiann Brown
    August 5, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Just signed up! But I am definitely gonna try some of these great reciped! Always looking for something new to cook and they have alot of great things to try!! CAN’T WAIT!!!

September 6, 2014 at 10:02 am

Yay! thanks so much, Rudiann! ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy! XOXO

10. Nancy
    March 19, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I have made this for sometime and everyone just loves it! Only difference is I use Marzetti coleslaw dressing and it tastes just like you get from the deli for a lot less money. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

11. janet
    May 31, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I used dried cherries and red onions less sugar in the dressing. gonna try orange zest next time.

12. Amandah
    November 24, 2015 at 11:34 am

Can you make this the night before? I want to make it for a work potluck tomorrow at lunch time.

November 24, 2015 at 12:35 pm

You can make this the night before, but you’ll want to keep the sunflower seeds, bacon and raisins separate until you serve the salad or these ingredients will get soggy. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope that helps! ~M

13. Lorraine
    November 29, 2015 at 5:39 pm

There’s no instruction about the broccoli being cooked or blanched in any way. So, you just use a nice, fresh, bunch of raw broccoli? It sounds delish….just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I want to make this for a “Friendsmas.”
    Also, can the sunflower seeds be the roasted and salted variety or plain?

November 29, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Hi Lorraine! ๐Ÿ™‚
      Yes, you just use raw broccoli. Any type of sunflower seeds will do. I usually use plain, unsalted. Enjoy! ~M