meyer lemon vanilla jam

lemonjam2-DSC_0032

I’m in a springtime kind of mood…even though it’s freezing outside and there’s STILL tons of snow on the ground. Tomorrow is the official first day of Spring, so I wanted to celebrate by cooking up something bright and refreshing for teatime.

Meyer lemons are a sweet, delicate lemon that have the flavor of lemons and oranges combined. If you decide to use a different kind of lemon, just make sure you choose a good quality, thin skinned variety.

6 Meyer lemons

6 cups sugar

2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract

Using a very sharp knife, cut ends off lemons and slice them very thin. Remove all of the seeds, and cut each of the slices into 4 pieces. Put them in a large, heavy-bottomed pot, or Dutch oven. Add 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then decrease heat to a simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Stir often. Add sugar and vanilla, and simmer uncovered for an additional 45 minutes to an hour. Stir often so the jam doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Cook until it thickens and turns a light amber color. Test for doneness by taking a little out of the pan and putting it on a plate. Tilt the plate. It should slide down with some resistance. If it just runs down the plate, cook a bit longer.

Pour warm jam into steralized jars. Close the lids and turn the jars upside down on the counter. Cover with a dish towel. Allow to cool completely before turning them upright. A vacuum should have formed on the lid. Store in a cool, dry place and refrigerate once you open.

This jam makes a wonderful scone or toast topping and a delicious filling for Victoria Sponge Cake with Mascarpone cheese or sweet pastry tarts!

10 comments for “meyer lemon vanilla jam

1. Jackie Mohring
    March 24, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Hi Melissa! Love your recipes and photography. A friend and I want to make this lemon vanilla jam, but have a couple of questions. I live in Saint Paul and Susan lives in Minneapolis and wonder where you find the Meyer lemons? What particular store and are they only available certain times of the year? Also, approx. how much liquid is contained in the 6 lemons? Thanks for your help, can’t wait to try the recipe. jackie

March 24, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Hi there Jackie! I got mine at the Wedge Co-op. They always seem to have them. Other places I’ve seen them…Lunds, Byerly’s, Trader Joes, and the Linden Hills Co-op…to name a few. Um…not exactly sure how much liquid is contained in 6 lemons, but if you go with a medium size lemon, you should be fine…the measurement of the juice doesn’t have to be exact. If the lemons seem smallish, use 8 instead of 6. Thanks for visiting! Enjoy 🙂

• Jackie Mohring
        March 25, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Thanks so much Melissa for the quick response. Will check out the Wedge and let you know how the jam turns out. Jackie

March 26, 2013 at 1:11 am

my pleasure, Jackie! enjoy 🙂

2. Donna
    May 20, 2013 at 3:08 am

I absolutely love your site. I also love Meyer lemons.

I am just getting into canning and have read, and read, and read until I’m thoroughly confused. I do not have to ‘water bath’ this jam???? Just put in hot sterlized jars???

Thank you in advance for you patience.

May 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hello, Donna! Thanks for visiting 🙂 This type of jam/marmalade doesn’t need a water bath…just make sure you’re pouring the jam into hot sterilized jars. Enjoy!

3. Susan
    March 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Hi Melissa, love your site! I’ll be making this jam. Do you have the directions for the crocheted jar topper? Would appreciate it if you could post it when you get a chance. Thank You!!

March 7, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Hi Susan! Sorry, I don’t have crocheting instructions for the jar toppers… I just picked up some lace doilies at antique shops and JoAnn Etc. 🙂 Enjoy the jam! xo

4. christine
    March 26, 2014 at 3:21 am

do you peel the lemons before slicing and cooking ?

March 26, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Hi Christine,
      Nope, just cut the ends off of the lemons and slice. Meyer lemons don’t need to be peeled. Thanks so much for stopping by! Great question 🙂

XO,