cottage kitchen ~ overnight crockpot oatmeal

overnightoats-DSC_0008

I love waking up in the morning to the wonderful scent of something amazing cooking in the kitchen. Sometimes on the weekends Jeff will make pancakes, bacon and French press coffee. There’s something so cozy about being greeted with these smells as soon as you awake. We’ve always said that our house reminds us of the B&B weekends we’ve enjoyed over the years, and the whole yummy breakfast thing just adds to those memories. For the first four nights of our honeymoon we stayed in the oldest hotel in Minnesota, The Anderson house. It was actually more like a big B&B. Every morning we could smell cinnamon rolls baking, bacon frying and coffee brewing before we even left our room. Ahhhh, memories…. πŸ™‚

Here’s a lovely recipe that you can whip up before you go to bed, and when you get up the first thing you’ll smell is cinnamon and apples. Seriously! I woke up today and thought someone had baked a pie…and then I remembered the oatmeal….

This turned out so good. I made a bunch because I like baking “Leftover Oatmeal Muffins” with the extra. I’ll include that recipe below so you can give it a whirl if you like.

~ Cottage Kitchen ~ Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal ~

2 cups steel cut oats (no substitutes)

1 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)

1 cup unpeeled, chopped apple

1/2 cup flaked coconut (optional)

8 cups water

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of cloves

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine all in a large crock pot. Stir to combine. Cover and set on LOW. Allow to cook forΒ  7 to 8 hours. When you wake up in the morning, stir in 2/3 cup sugar, brown sugar or honey (don’t add the sweetener the night before or it will cause your oatmeal to burn.)

Scoop oatemal into bowls. Top with milk or cream and additional fresh or dried fruit if you like.

~ Leftover Oatmeal Muffins ~

(Adaapted from Soule Mama)

2 cups cooked oatmeal

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 Tablespoons melted butter

1 cup milk

1/2 cup maple syrup

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 Tablespoons baking powder

3 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup chocolate chips (or berries, or dried fruit…)

Combine all until just moistened. Fill buttered muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

11 comments for “cottage kitchen ~ overnight crockpot oatmeal

1. Carolyn
    March 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

Melissa: Both recipes sound yummy. Thanks.

March 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

YAY! enjoy, Carolyn πŸ™‚

2. Joy
    March 8, 2013 at 10:31 am

Cooking steel cut oats in a crockpot – Great idea!! A question: I notice you haven’t added any liquid? Doesn’t it need some to cook – assuming the steel cut oats are uncooked?

March 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

Hi Joy! thanks for letting me know. I did go back in and fix the recipe….that’s what I get for trying to do three things at once. LOL…have a lovely day! XO πŸ™‚

• Joy
        March 8, 2013 at 11:16 am

Can’t wait to try it! Thank you!

March 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm

My pleasure, Joy! thank you for visiting! enjoy!

3. March 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I so can’t wait to try this! I am moving next week and as soon as I unpack the crock pot I’ll be whipping it up! Thanks for the always inspiring recipes!
    Love you my dear!

March 8, 2013 at 10:37 pm

love you too, Sexy pants πŸ™‚ enjoy! smooch!

4. Virginia Santoro
    August 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Melissa, this is the very best crockpot oatmeal recipe I’ve made yet. Phenomenol!!! And I just made the muffins with the leftover, and they, too, are scrumptious! Thank you. I love your Facebook page, and tell everyone to follow you. Be blessed!

October 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Thank you so much for your sweet, sweet message and compliments, Virginia! πŸ™‚ You made my day! I’m so glad you like my FB page and blog. Thanks for spreading the word! XOXO ~M

5. October 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Melissa, I was inspired to try this overnight oatmeal recipe and put it all in the crockpot last night. The kitchen smelled so good this morning! The dried fruit I choose was dates. The oatmeal was tasty. This recipe is a keeper. After I ate this satisfying breakfast I couldn’t help but make the muffins to. They have a good flavor and nice hearty texture. I added fresh raspberries to them. I still have enough oatmeal leftover to serve breakfast for 3 tomorrow morning and make another batch of muffins. Thanks for sharing!