country apple brownies with cinnamon milk icing

applebrownies2-DSC_0016

I’m working on photos, recipes and illustrations in my studio today, and looking forward to getting a bunch of stuff done.  Before I do that, though, I just had to stop by and drop off this recipe for you. These turned out so wonderful, and I’m enjoying one with my morning cup of Assam as I write this. A fun twist on the classic, chocolate brownie….Country Apple Brownies! The Cinnamon Milk Icing on these takes them over the top. They’re chewy and perfect! Well, just try them and see….

for 8 apple brownies:

preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1 stick butter, melted and cooled

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup sugar

1 large egg

2 medium size sweet apples, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch cubes (plus 8 thin apple slices for decoration)

1 teaspoon pure almond extract

powdered sugar

Generously butter a 6 x 10 inch glass baking pan. In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt baking powder and soda.

In a separate bowl, using a wire whisk, mix the sugar, melted butter, egg and almond extract until pale. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until evenly combined. Add apple chunks and stir just to combine and evenly distribute.

Spread the brownie dough into the buttered baking dish. Place an apple slice on top of each brownie (there will be 8 once they’re cut.)

Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until golden and just set. Don’t over-bake. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes before cutting into 8 even bars. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar.  These will keep in an air-tight container for 5 days.

for the Cinnamon Milk Icing:

1/2 cup cream cheese frosting

2 to 3 Tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all until smooth. Drizzle over the apple brownies. Store the rest in the refrigerator.

22 comments for “country apple brownies with cinnamon milk icing

1. Beverley
    February 28, 2013 at 11:13 am

Stunning recipe and Stunning photo ….I have no more words! xoxo

February 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thank you! You are so sweet to me. I appreciate your comment. XO 🙂

2. February 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I am soooo in love with this idea , gonna try to switch the flour to GF and see if it works . Thank you bunches. Brilliant!

February 28, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Hello, Lynne! thank you for stopping by 🙂 I’m so pleased you like the recipe. I made a batch of these yesterday and can’t seem to keep my hands off of them…they keep calling my name! LOL…enjoy.

3. Debby
    February 28, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I have plans for these to be served at the next family outing on Easter Sunday. These sound great. And what an easy recipe to follow. I am quite used to following recipes that give most people the shivering fits. This one will be no problem at all.

February 28, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Hi Debby! yes, this is quite easy…with awesome results! enjoy! xoxoxo and thanks for visiting 😉

4. gertrudes sabile
    March 1, 2013 at 5:42 am

Can you give me the weight of a one stick butter, pls…and how can i prepare aa cream cheese frosting?sorry for asking coz here..ready made frostings are impossible to find. thank you.

March 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

that’s no problem at all 🙂 you will find a link to my homemade cream cheese frosting by clicking on the colored link that says “cream cheese frosting” right there in the icing recipe. I just posted this recipe about a week ago to go with a different cake 🙂

a stick of butter is 1/4 lb.

I hope that helps! Enjoy!

5. March 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Melissa…this is absolutely stunning…have bookmarked it…wish i could try this out right now !!!

March 7, 2013 at 9:20 pm

yay! so happy you like the recipe, Shema 🙂 enjoy!

6. Melanie
    March 19, 2013 at 10:11 am

Looks yummy! Would love to try it out but can you also provide UK measurements pls? Tried to convert 1 cup flour into grams however not sure if its accurate 🙁

March 19, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hello there, Melanie! 🙂 No worries…just look up “measurements converter” on google. There should be a bunch of them that will tell you what you need to know. Hope this helps! xoxo, enjoy!

7. Sue
    April 16, 2013 at 12:11 am

Hi Melissa,
    These look delicious. Thank you for an amine free, non chocolate dessert recipe
    Sue 🙂

April 16, 2013 at 12:38 am

so pleased you like the recipe, Sue! thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! enjoy 🙂

8. April 20, 2013 at 11:18 am

Melissa I am going to buy apples tomorrow especially to make these brownies! can’t wait to try them

June 26, 2013 at 12:55 am

Hi there, Sawsan! I am so happy you like the recipe! thanks for visiting. Enjoy! XOXO 🙂

9. May 24, 2013 at 4:32 pm

These look delicious and so different. Looks like Fall. Will have to try when apple season rolls around.

May 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hi Cheryl! thanks for visiting! 🙂 Enjoy the recipe.

10. Mike hall
    January 28, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Can use use a sugar substitute sugar instead of the regular sugar? Does splenda bake okay or should I bake with another kind? My husband is a diabetic, and am trying not to bake with real sugar. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you????????

11. Beth nelson?
    August 19, 2017 at 11:25 am

Having trouble finding 6×10 glass baking dish did you mean 16×10 ?

August 19, 2017 at 2:15 pm

No, the measurement for the pan I used is correct. If you don’t have that size (mine is a vintage baking dish), then you can use a 9×9 square pan.

• Beth nelson?