lemon hummus

~ lemon hummus ~

serves 8 to 10

prep time- 5 to 10 minutes

cook time- 0 minutes (no cooking necessary)

Do you buy your hummus premade? We use to until I discovered how easy it is to make at home. It tastes so much better and fresher, and I love how versatile of an appetizer it is. I posted my recipe for toasted sesame hummus awhile back, and I keep forgetting to take a photograph of it.

Here’s my new recipe. I was inspired to make up a batch after my friend Ann over at Sumptuous Spoonfuls featured our lovely Mia’s recipe on her blog. (Whichย  looks marvelous by the way, and I can’t wait to try it. go on over and take a gander.)

2 cans drained chickpeas

juice of one large lemon

2 teaspoons lemon zest

1/3 cup plain greek yogurt

1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

salt, pepper and fresh thyme (to taste)

garnishes: smoked paprika, fresh Parmesan cheese, capers, Sriracha

Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, lemon zest, yogurt and oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, adjusting the olive oil content as needed. Salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle a little more oil over the top and serve with any or all of the suggested garnishes, fresh thyme and fresh toasted pita! also wonderful on wrap sandwiches!

8 comments for “lemon hummus

1. June 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I love making my own hummus! for less fatty but still creamy, i substitute in some of the liquid from the canned chickpeas for the oil. i always add smoked paprika and start out with garlic. Never tried lemon tho! great idea!

June 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Maria-I LOVE garlic too, and always add it…but I thought I’d make a batch for those who don’t want it (Jeff) this time. He likes it but doesn’t want to offend people he works with. LOL! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Esther Toups
    June 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Thank you so much. I make it at home often and I have even cooked the beans myself trying to recreate the creamy texture of the hummus that is served in Greek restaurants. However, I have never used Greek yogurt, which must be the secret. I’ll try your version!

June 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

enjoy Esther! thanks for stopping by! xo

3. Emily
    February 18, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Got a 1/2 a lemon and a can of chickpeas just waiting to be used… Sounds yummy. If you want a real treat you should check out http://www.yasmeenbakery.com/. Best pita bread possibly on the planet. The best I’ve ever had, I have tried and I can not duplicate it. It’ll cost more to ship then the bread itself but totally worth it. Freezes and thaws perfectly too.

February 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Oh wow! I’ll have to try that bread, Emily! sounds fabby! thanks for visiting, enjoy the recipe ๐Ÿ™‚ xo

4. Joyce Raines
    April 27, 2014 at 10:49 am

Recently learned I like hummus am delighted to find a recipe I know I will love!

May 3, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hi Joyce! Yes, hummus is so delicious and healthy. One of my favorite snacks. Another favorite recipe (if you like Thai peanut sauce) is this unique recipe I came up with. I brought it to a cocktail party and it was devoured in 10 minutes ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy and thanks so much for commenting!
      ~M