basil pesto {summer on toast}

basilpestofinal

~ basil pesto ~

Feeling in a summery mood, I decided to make a batch of basil pesto for lunch. It’s so great with a fresh, ripe tomatoes, crusty baguette, and your favorite sharp cheese. I like a good Gruyere or Parmigiano Reggiano in this particular scenario.

2 cups fresh basil leaves

1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves

1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

1/4 cup pine nuts, pecans, or walnuts

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or more)

2-3 large cloves of garlic

Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse until evenly pureed. Start with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and gradually add more as needed to reach desired consistency.

~ summer on toast ~

Here’s what the cute hubby and I had for lunch. We call it Summer on Toast. Spread a generous amount of the basil pesto on a piece of well-toasted whole wheat bread. Next add some chunks of fresh Parmesan or Gruyere cheese. Top with slices of fresh Roma, or heirloom tomatoes, freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt.

SOOOOO yummy!

20 comments for “basil pesto {summer on toast}

1. March 8, 2012 at 3:34 am

Hi Melissa – impressive – when I have pesto it never lasts long enough to make it into jars, lol 😀

I never tried it with pecans before – will have to give that a shot sometime 🙂

March 8, 2012 at 9:00 am

Hi there 🙂 I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I was pouring it into the jars so I could take a pretty picture of it, LOL. The hubby and I ate a whole jar at lunch. I suspect the second jar will be gone by the end of today. Yeah, I used pecans in place of pine nuts once when I couldn’t find pine nuts and the pesto turned out just as good if not better 🙂 Have a great day my friend!

2. Jennifer | Mother Thyme
    March 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Your basil pesto looks AMAZING! Nothing beats the fresh taste of basil in pesto. I could eat it alone everyday. It is by far my favorite. I like how you incorporate a little parsley into it as well. I’ll have to try that next time. btw- love the cute little jar you have it in! Too cute! 🙂

March 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I love the stuff. My daughter came over and had a bunch today. It’s almost gone! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by. xo

3. Sandra Ruper
    January 21, 2013 at 11:50 am

Really enjoyed this pesto and the addition of the parsley added a nice fresh taste. I have used walnuts in place of pecans with great success.

January 21, 2013 at 11:52 am

Hi Sandra! so glad you like the recipe! thanks for visiting 🙂

4. Patricia
    July 28, 2013 at 5:17 am

Yum! Now I know what to do with all of my basil. Thanks for sharing!

5. Patricia
    July 30, 2013 at 6:47 am

My husband and I had this yesterday and it was delicious. The name is perfect…….summer toast.

July 30, 2013 at 10:35 am

Hi Patricia! YAY! glad you two enjoyed it! 🙂 xo

6. Ruth Cobb
    September 18, 2013 at 10:27 am

Will the pesto still be good without the pine nuts or pecans or walnuts? my sister doesn’t like nuts although she is not allergic

September 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hi Ruth 🙂 Yes, I’ve made pesto several times without nuts when I haven’t had any in the house. It’s still wonderful! XO

7. Bruce Alan Wilson
    April 30, 2014 at 8:59 am

I make it without parsley—all basil. Of course, I grow basil most years. Lots of basil.

May 5, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Hi Bruce! I grow basil every summer too 🙂 Such an awesome herb. I like the fresh flavor that parsley lends to pesto. Maybe give it a try some time. Thanks for visiting!

8. Bruce Alan Wilson
    April 30, 2014 at 9:01 am

Also, about 2/3 stick of butter.

If you are making it to freeze, leave out the butter and cheese. Add it when thawed.

Almonds are good instead of pine nuts or pecans. DON’T use walnuts! Too bitter.

May 5, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Hi Bruce 🙂 I agree, walnuts don’t work in pesto. I’ve never used butter in pesto, but I have made pesto butter for steaks. I can’t imagine I would enjoy anything more than unfiltered, Italian, extra virgin olive oil in my pesto. It’s so beautiful and fruity. Perfect with basil. Thanks for the idea though.

~M

9. Jan Terlikowski
    September 5, 2014 at 7:31 pm

How long will it last after you jar it? Should it be stored in the fridge?

10. Patricia
    July 18, 2016 at 8:00 am

This popped up in my memories today from when I shared it. Good timing as my basil looks perfect and I’m going glamping tomorrow. One day alone and then my sister joins me. I’ll make and bring this and leave a little behind for my husband to enjoy

July 18, 2016 at 10:45 am

How lovely, Patricia! 🙂 I’m so happy you like the recipe. Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy your glamping trip. How fun! XO ~M