french press cozy

After going through my studio last week, and seeing exactly how ginormous the yarn stash has become, I decided it was time to start using up some of those skeins if I ever want to even think about entering a yarn store again.

I’ve always thought a cozy for a French press is a brilliant idea, but I’d never gotten around to making one. It was on my list of things to try, so I looked around online for an easy pattern. I thought, maybe if they crochet or knit up quickly enough, I would make them for the dozen or so friends I have that own either the model pictured above (glass with a plastic holder) or the Chambord model (glass with a stainless steel holder.)

I found a fantastic little pattern over at Crochet Every Day. It took me a couple hours to make this. Easy peasy! I didn’t believe that the number of stitches the pattern gave me would make a tall enough cozy (silly me) so I added a few stitches. You guessed it, the darn thing turned out too tall. Soooo…I decided to just go with it and do a slouch “cuff” on the top of the cozy. I personally think it improves the pattern, although the original is adorable. I like how the pattern designer changed yarn colors at the end…it really shows off the cute buttons. I’m going to try that next time. If you want to make one with a cuff at the top just increase the amount of stitches in the base chain by 4.

Are you working on a project or series of projects for holiday gifts? I’d love to hear about it!

XO,

14 comments for “french press cozy

1. December 5, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Adorable! I think this is genius as I never drink my coffee fast enough! I do have a few projects in the works, but nothing this clever. I am STILL working on a present I was sewing up for Amanda last year for Christmas! But I am sewing it by hand and it is very relaxing to me… I hope to have it done by this Christmas lol. 🙂
    XOXO

December 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I agree, a really good idea. 🙂 We only indulge in the fully loaded French press once a week…otherwise it’s decaf coffee or tea for us. We don’t gulp it down either, so this little cozy is perfect! Thanks for commenting, and have fun sewing! xoxoxo

2. December 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm

That’s such a cool cozy Melissa – did you consider selling them on Etsy? I’d totally buy one!

December 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I think…you should send me your address and I’ll send you one for your birthday! 🙂 Just tell me the height and circumference of your French press. I have yarn coming out of my ears, I’d be happy to make you one.

• December 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Oh, that’s so kind, thank you so much! My wife actually dropped, and smashed, my french press a couple of weeks ago and I still didn’t get around to replacing it – Filter coffee is good too, though I love the oily richness of french press sometimes – but as soon as I do, if you still have the yarn I’ll be in touch 😀 In exchange, perhaps there’s something I could send to you from France!

December 5, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Hee hee…it will be a LONG time before I run out of yarn, LOL. What color would you like? 😉

Ooh! Something from France…I have no idea what I’d ask for 🙂 Maybe surprise me.

• December 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Hehe, I’m sure I can think of something – as for colour… any really… maybe something sunny and bright to wake me up from my post-sleep daze in the morning 😀

By the way, since you liked Anna Ternheim I thought I’d link another artist I like… jazzy, bossa nova style – Swedish singer, sings in English:

Lisa Ekdahl – Don’t Stop

Lisa Ekdahl – Give Me That Slow Knowing Smile

Some people don’t like her voice – saying it’s a bit too husky and child-like but she can sing really well I think 🙂 Saw her in concert a few weeks back!

• December 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Oh, and this one, by Anna Ternheim, oh and while I’m at it, this one, by Elin Sigvardsson – the video’s a bit odd but I love the song!! Ok, I’ll leave you alone for now 😉

December 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I just went out to the kitchen to get dinner going and I came back to all this AWESOME music! Thanks 🙂

Lisa Ekdahl is one of my FAVORITES. Thanks for reminding me…I hadn’t listened to that playlist in about 6 months. Methinks we have the same taste in music, mister 🙂

Do you like Regina Spektor, Ingrid Michaelson and Joanna Newsom? If you haven’t heard them…go over to Youtube and look them up. SO awesome.

December 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Oh my! LOVE LOVE LOVE these! Especially the Elin Sigvardsson selection. Great dress 🙂

• December 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Oh I love Regina Spektor! Especially Samson and The Call. The others I haven’t heard before… I’ll look them up tomorrow at work to make my day a bit more pleasurable 😉 (plus it’s 1am here and I should really get to bed :p)

Lisa Ekdahl is curious because I don’t know if you ever heard of her Swedish songs… “Vem Vet” (Who knows) is probably the most famous one – as she’s progressed, got a bit older, and switched languages she’s developed a very husky voice which really isn’t present at all in her earlier work… I wonder whether it’s something she “puts on” to please the English speaking market?! It’s still a sultry, fantastic voice though!

Anyway… off to bed methinks! Nice speaking to you… g’night and enjoy the rest of your day 🙂

December 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Sweet dreams my friend 🙂

3. Andrea
    January 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I checked the link for the pattern, but it looks different than yours. Did you follow the same stitch or use another one? I like yours better!

January 21, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hi Andrea 🙂 It’s been awhile since I made this, but I believe I followed the instructions on the pattern for the grey cozy that she has pictured if you scroll down her page a bit. These go together fast! Have fun, and thanks for visiting!