Cooking Together ~ Cottage Cheese Dill Bread

dillbreadNEW-DSC_0036

dillbreadNEW2-DSC_0043

“Here is a collection of recipes for soups, breads, sauces, dips, spreads, entrees, and desserts influenced by many different ethnic cooking styles. The recipes are all vegetarian, utilizing a large variety of vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, grains, herbs, and spices. This cuisine is about celebrating the bounty of nature in general, and a garden-and orchard-based way of eating in particular.” ~Mollie Katzen, Enchanted Broccoli Forest

On Easter Sunday, after making the trek to Stillwater to visit with my father in law, we decided to go home and do some cooking. Andie helped me make a loaf of cottage cheese dill bread using a recipe from Mollie Katzen’s Enchanted Broccoli Forest Cookbook. It’s one of my favorite cookbooks, full of yummy, healthy recipes. Jeff and Gracie went to work making his crawfish bisque. He’s still perfecting the recipe so I won’t be posting it today πŸ™‚

broccoliforest

The cottage cheese dill bread is a batter bread, not a yeast bread, so it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and about 50 minutes to bake.

Cottage Cheese ~Dill Bread

2 cups unbleached, white flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup cottage cheese

2 eggs

6 Tablespoons milk

1/4 cup honey or sugar

4 Tablespoons melted butter

3 Tablespoons minced fresh dill (I used 3 Tablespoons dry and it turned out wonderful)

I also added 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder which is not part of the original recipe, but I think it makes this already great recipe slightly better.)

1) Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter a medium sized loaf pan.

2) Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-large bowl.

3) In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, milk, sweetening, and melted butter. Beat well. Add to the dry ingredients along with the dill, and mix just enough to thoroughly blend. The batter will be a little stiff.

4) Spread the batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Let it bake for 50 minutes, or until a butter knife inserted all the way into the center comes out clean. After removing bread from oven, let stand 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan. Cool on rack an additional 30 minutes before slicing.

Doesn’t it look good? It was perfect with soup!

Happy cooking,

24 comments for “Cooking Together ~ Cottage Cheese Dill Bread

1. Sandy
    April 6, 2010 at 10:19 am

Melissa,
    I think I would like to live next door to your house. Gosh I would be over for the soup, bread, steaks, etc. Oh, I would contribute the salad…. Even a mouse in the house could have a deli delight…Gracie is lucky to have such fine cooks in the house! I feel like bread and soup today with the rain…Thanks for the idea….
    Friend….Sandy

2. April 6, 2010 at 10:26 am

I think I’d love having you for my neighbor! We could cook and go thrifting, and dream up new subjects for newspaper articles… πŸ™‚ The house across the street is for sale…hee hee

Thanks again for your kind words,
    XO

3. April 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Definite thumbs up on the cottage cheese dill bread. Funny… I know for a fact that I’ve never typed that sentence before.

4. April 6, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Well thank you kind sir πŸ™‚

5. Chantelle
    April 9, 2010 at 10:40 am

Melissa – the bread looks and sounds wonderful – thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on Jeff’s bisque! πŸ˜‰

6. April 9, 2010 at 11:34 am

The recipe for the bread is easy, hope you try it…the bisque is a work in progress…I’ll keep you posted πŸ˜‰

7. Melissa
    April 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

FYI…it’s a year later and the boy is STILL perfecting the bisque! (See the date night post for this week, LOL) Come ON Jeff! πŸ™‚

8. July 24, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Putting this on my list too πŸ™‚ This sounds awfully delicious Melissa.

July 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm

yummy and easy to make with children πŸ™‚ xoxo Misbah!

9. Sheryl
    April 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I’m making this today along with pomanmeals bean, kale and sausage soup. Is it dinner time yet?!! lol. I can’t wait.

April 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Hi Sheryl! thanks so much for commenting! your dinner sounds awesome! enjoy πŸ˜‰ xo

10. Melinda
    January 21, 2014 at 7:49 pm

This is in the oven and my house smells amazing!I can not wait to take a bite. Thank you for the yummy recipe.

January 22, 2014 at 1:18 am

Hi Melinda! So glad you like the recipe! this bread is awesome toasted with your brekky eggs… and one of my favorite breads with soup! Enjoy, and thanks for visiting πŸ™‚ XO ~M

11. Rhonda
    March 9, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I made this today. Actually I made it the instant I finished reading the recipe. It is so good. I had an idea. I made 2 loaves. One for eating right away and one for making bread crumbs and croutons. The bread crumbs I used for making my Crab Cakes and the croutons for my Seafood Chowder. This is my new side for any seafood I make.

March 15, 2014 at 7:52 am

Love this idea! thanks so much for stopping by to comment, Rhonda πŸ™‚ Enjoy!

12. Jackie
    March 9, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Hi Melissa,

Does it matter what fat content the cottage cheese is? I usually buy the 2%.

Thanks, jackie

March 9, 2014 at 11:27 pm

that will work perfectly, Jackie! πŸ™‚ enjoy

13. Christy
    June 7, 2014 at 8:46 am

My mom used to make this bread all the time. I was just thinking about it the other day, it is a wonderful addition to soup especially on a cold day. Thank you for posting.

June 10, 2014 at 12:26 pm

My pleasure, Christy! enjoy πŸ™‚ thanks for visiting.

14. laurie
    March 25, 2017 at 9:10 am

I just tried this this morning. Super good. I’m not sure why but it had to bake for 1 1/2 hours. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Laurie from Florida

March 25, 2017 at 9:08 pm

That is strange… I’m not sure why it took that long to bake either. Possibly your oven temperature is off? I’m glad you like the recipe though! πŸ™‚