lavender sugar

lavsugar1

I love meeting new facebook friends! I met a lovely lady named Jean this week and I adore her blog. It’s called “For Dragonflies and Me,” and it’s filled with all sorts of yummy recipes and beautiful gardening tips that make my heart sing.

I was browsing her posts today and came across one all about lavender. I have a bunch of lavender growing in my garden, and some hanging from a little drying rack in my kitchen. I have some set aside for a cake and cookies, some more set aside for dryer sachets, and Jeff has been talking about making soap…. but, I’ve been wondering what to do with the rest of it. When I saw this simple idea for lavender sugar, I knew I had a winner. This would be a wonderful addition to our Christmas gift baskets this year.

Soooo….I made up a batch this morning. Isn’t it pretty? Thanks, Jean!

I hope you all have a great weekend!

~ lavender sugar ~

1 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons dried lavender blossoms

Remove lavender from stems. Discard stems. Place sugar and lavender in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until the lavender is broken up a bit. Transfer to a canning jar with a tight fitting lid. Allow to sit for a month so the flavor of the lavender can “marry” with the sugar. Wonderful baked into cakes and cookies, sprinkled on yogurt or ice cream, or stirred into tea!

Love,

12 comments for “lavender sugar

1. August 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Looks so beautiful Melissa! Thanks for sharing… So looking forward to many more sharing opportunities!
    Best,
    Jean

August 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Thank you so much, Jean! I’m looking forward to that too! I appreciate the kind comment 🙂 XOXO ~M

2. August 3, 2013 at 6:13 am

I love lavender sugar – especially on top of scones!

August 3, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Good call, Rachael 🙂 YUMMMM! with a little devon cream? mmmmm hmmmm! thanks for commenting. xo

3. Vanessa Schroeder
    August 6, 2013 at 11:38 am

Any idea on how long this will keep? The recipe says to wait a month, so if I make it now, will it be OK for Christmas?

August 6, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Hi Vanessa! this will keep for quite awhile. (for sure until Christmas) Just make sure your lavender is completely dry when adding it to the sugar. 🙂 enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

4. Nadia
    April 24, 2014 at 5:21 am

Just make sure to use the Lavandula Angustifolia variety – aka English Lavender – that’s the ONE type used in cooking. 🙂

April 24, 2014 at 7:51 am

Hi Nadia,

All lavender is edible, but you’re right, English Lavender is the type most commonly used in cooking because of it’s light, sweet fragrance and flavor. 🙂

Best,
      Melissa

5. August 13, 2015 at 12:24 pm

I was given some as a gift and I have a couple of questions: 1) What’s the best way to store it? 2) When I use it in my green tea, I end up with chunks in it. I’m assuming they are the dried lavender. Is there a way to avoid this? Can I swallow them?

August 13, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Hi Monica,
      I would sift the lavender chunks out of your lavender sugar. Lavender is edible, but I can’t imagine chunks in your tea would be very appetizing 😉 Your sugar will still have a lavender flavor without the blossoms, which is what you’re going for. The longer you leave the blossoms in the sugar, the more potent the lavender flavor will become. Hope this helps! ~M

• August 13, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Okay! Thank you very much!