papa’s picnic potato salad

~ papa’s picnic potato salad ~

Wow! Yesterday I asked my readers on facebook if they like their potato salad with or without mustard, and the responses started pouring in! I knew people were passionate about this, but I had no idea they cared that much.

I promised to post my favorite recipe for potato salad today, and to reveal whether or not I include the yellow stuff in mine.

No. I do not. I think mustard is for hot dogs, not potato salad. hee hee. ๐Ÿ˜‰ same goes for relish. A few of my facebook peeps like chopped up pickles in theirs. Hmmmmm….

I think it all has to do with what we got use to as kids. My Papa, in my opinion, makes the best potato salad in the universe. It’s simple and fantastic. Hope you give it a try and see for yourself, even if you’re a mustard fan.

8 large russet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled

8-10 hard boiled eggs, chilled

2 cups real mayonnaise (or a little more, if needed) we use Hellmann’s

1 bunch green onions, chopped (including the tops)

1 large bunch (about 8-10) red radishes, sliced

paprika

salt

freshly ground black pepper

Wash and peel potatoes (or leave them unpeeled if you like the skins.) Cut into big, uniform chunks and place in a large pot of boiling water. Boil until fork tender…don’t let them go until they’re mushy. Peel the eggs and chop them up (or just slice them if you like bigger pieces.) Place them along with the green onion, and the radishes, in a big mixing bowl.

Once the potatoes are done, drain them well and allow them to cool. (I remove them to seperate bowls so they cool faster.) Once cool, cut into uniform, bite size pieces and put them in the bowl with the eggs and veggies. Carefully and gently stir in the mayonnaise. Season with paprika, salt and pepper to taste. We like a lot of paprika, but it’s totally a matter of preference.

Transfer the potato salad to a bowl with a lid and chill completely before serving.

Hope you love this as much as we do!

XO,

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

23 comments for “papa’s picnic potato salad

1. Rebecca Walker
    June 3, 2012 at 10:04 am

Sounds like a winner!

June 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thanks Rebecca! enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚ xo

2. misbah
    June 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Looks very delicious Melissa. I make many kind of potato salads, all without mustard. Thankyou for shareing your papaยดs recipe with us. xoxo Misbah

June 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Hi Misbah! thanks so much! this recipe is a keeper ๐Ÿ˜‰ xoxo

3. June 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’ll try this on Hubs and see if he likes it without mustard โ™ฅ

June 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Hi Susan! Hope the hubs enjoys it! ๐Ÿ™‚ xo and thanks for stopping by!

4. June 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

This is, by far, the best potato salad I have ever had. It has that certain something that makes it nearly impossible to stop eating. I’ve hurt myself over-indulging on this stuff.

June 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hee hee! that’s why we make such a big batch, hubs ๐Ÿ˜‰ xoxo

5. June 4, 2012 at 7:30 am

This sounds so much like our “family” potato salad. Aaaaaand now I want some…

June 4, 2012 at 8:13 am

Hi Movita! What is it about this potato salad that makes it so darn good? So few ingredients, and yet, when you put them all together…magic! ๐Ÿ™‚ We make a huge batch and then pretty much eat it for every meal until it’s gone. LOL!

xoxo

6. June 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

This does sound like a good recipe, Melissa. I agree, this is one of those recipes that people probably prefer what they had growing up.

I’ve never made potato salad…that’s a dish I generally left for others to make. However, my mother (of course!) made a great one. The one thing I learned from her was to season your potatoes while they’re hot(after they’re drained), so the seasoning will absorb better…I do this with my mashed potatoes, and it works great!

You’ve inspired me to try my hand at making potato salad, now. Thanks for sharing your papa’s recipe…first time I’ve seen radishes used in a potato salad!

June 13, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Hello there Bonnie! I’m so happy this recipe inspired you! I love your idea for seasoning the potatoes. What a great tip ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks so much for visiting my little corner of the internet, and for commenting! Enjoy. XOXO

• June 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thank you Melissa! Time constraints keep me from posting comments as often as I’d like. Just got back from my son’s amazing wedding, too!

June 13, 2013 at 11:32 pm

oooohhhh! how exciting! congratulations to you and the new couple! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. June 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Hey there, sweet Melissa! Just want to let you know that several years ago in Florida I was raving about a friend’s potato salad… she didn’t have a recipe, she said, but always just made it, had been making it for years. However, the secret, she said, is to use as many eggs as potatoes and really good mayo! I’ve always known how brilliant YOU are, and now I know that my friend in Florida really knows her way around the kitchen! ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxoxo

June 13, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Hee hee ๐Ÿ™‚ this is definitely a keeper, Michele! ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks so much for stopping by and commenting my sweet friend! xoxoxo

8. June 13, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I do not like mustard in my potato salad and my husband does like mustard in his. When I make it, I make it more like your recipe, the way my mother always made it. When he buys at the deli, he always gets the mustardy kind. Sometimes I wonder how we have made it almost 40 years together…

June 13, 2013 at 11:34 pm

LOL! yes, the potato salad could be a deal breaker ๐Ÿ˜‰ thanks so much for stopping by, Elaine! Enjoy the recipe!

9. Beverley
    June 14, 2013 at 2:30 am

Sounds like my kind of potato salad, the English don’t make theirs as good as the Americans do. Love that it lasts for a few meals and more xoxo

June 14, 2013 at 6:28 am

Hi there, Beverley! thanks for visiting ๐Ÿ™‚ I think the trick is to just keep the recipe really simple. There are so many people that add mustard and pickles and all sorts of other things…I like mine uncomplicated. hee hee…XOXO! Have a fantastic weekend!

10. mary l
    September 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm

You’re right, it’s all about what you grew up with. We would never think of putting eggs in our potato salad, that’s a totally different thing… potato and egg salad..:-). And it has to be hellmans mayo, but my mother sometimes put in pickle relish ,sometimes not, it all depended on her mood !

September 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm

mmmmm! I like a little relish in mine sometimes too, Mary ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love all sorts of potato salads…Amish, German, baby red with asparagus and grainy mustard dressing, and even the healthier stuff tossed with greek yogurt in place of some of the mayo with a little chopped mint! But, nothing beats my Papa’s potato salad. hee hee… XO and thanks for stopping by to leave a comment.

11. August 30, 2014 at 9:43 am

i make my potato salad simple potato,celery, onion, and hard boiled eggs and mayonaise never mustard or pickles if i made it any other way my family would shoot me now i do like lots of different things in macaroni salad