crockpot apple butter

It’s simply gorgeous outside today! Just took a little stroll downtown to pick up a few fresh ingredients for our dinner…stopped in at the farmer’s market for a huge Hubbard squash on the way home…and decided to do a little antiquing at the antique mall that is only a block away from my house. Of course I found a bunch of great stuff and I almost had to balance the squash on my head to get it home. I felt like Elaine in that episode of Seinfeld when Jerry gives her the weirdly awkward box to carry across town to her apartment. Luckily I returned homeΒ  mostly sane and without breaking anything on the sidewalk.

I made a ginormous batch of homemade apple butter yesterday and finally used up all of the apples that we purchased at the orchard and the ones I got from my friend Nancy. I ended up freezing little jars full of the fruit butter so I could add them to Christmas gift baskets this year. This is the very best apple butter I’ve ever had, and I’m not just sayin’ that ‘cuz I made it. I’m telling you the truth here. This stuff is gonna knock your socks right off.

approximately 6 and 1/2 lb apples peeled, cored and sliced

2 cups sugar mixed with 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses

1 Tablespoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Place apple slices in large crockpot. Combine all other ingredients and mix with the apples in the crock. Cover and cook on the crockpot’s “low” setting for 8 hours or until fragrant and all of the apples are soft. (All of the apple pieces wont get mushy, you’ll end up with some big chunks in there. Don’t worry about it.) Uncover and cool. Once cool, chill completely (overnight is good.) When completely cool, process in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth. Transfer to canning jars. Cover and store in fridge if you plan on using the apple butter within two weeks, or freeze.

Wonderful on toast, scones, bagels with cream cheese, pancakes, muffins, waffles, and pork dishes!

18 comments for “crockpot apple butter

1. October 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Melissa, how perfectly lovely. I knew it would be. How much does this recipe yield? I’ve never frozen anything in jars. Do you do that often? Has one ever cracked?

Thanks, Melissa!

October 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Hi Jackie! Um… it yields about a big crockpot full of apple butter πŸ™‚ hee hee… I do freeze it in jars, but only after the apple butter has been chilled in the fridge overnight. If I had to guess, I’d say it makes about 5 pints..maybe more. xoxo

• Lorraine
        September 12, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Can you process in Canners?

September 12, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Hi there Lorraine!

You sure can. Just process as you would applesauce or jam πŸ™‚

2. Barb Peters
    October 30, 2012 at 3:17 pm

When my kids we small I used to mix 3/4 C Apple butter w 1 1/2 TB of yellow mustard for a Honey Mustard dip for their chicken nuggets, and even now they love it as adults.

October 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm

OOh! what a great idea Barb! Thanks for sharing!

3. October 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for this! I inherited my Grandma’s recipe for apple butter, but it’s pretty much an all day, stand in front of the stove event. (Which I don’t mind, but some weeks are busy!) To achieve the same “tended to” taste in a crock pot is wonderful!

October 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Hi Kimby! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as your grandma’s πŸ™‚ those recipes that are handed down are powerful connections to the women in our lives though! xoxo

4. Georgiana Montefour
    August 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Can’t wait to try the apple butter, thanks for sharing!!! Oh and thanks for sharing the apple butter with yellow mustard , Barb Peters…

August 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Hi Georgiana! Thanks for stopping by! enjoy the recipe πŸ™‚ xo

5. September 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I may have to try this. I don’t eat it but my hubby and son would love it. What kind of apples do you recommend? Do you weigh them after peeling, coring and slicing or is it 6.5 prior to preparing? Someone had a good idea about mixing with mustard for dipping. I think that would be good to glaze a ham!!

September 22, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I use all different kinds of apples, a combination of sweet and tangy are good…love the idea with the mustard. let me know how it turns out. Thanks for visiting!

6. Dale
    October 11, 2013 at 5:13 am

Hello,

I don’t like many food blogs, but I do enjoy 2 of them. I really like yours and “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. Between the two of you, I get so many ideas.
    Keep those recipes coming.

Dale

October 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Hi Dale πŸ™‚ Wow! What an amazing compliment. I will be sure to keep sharing my best stuff if you promise to keep visiting. You made my day! Thank you!

7. Susan
    September 24, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hi Melissa,

I saw this recipe on Facebook and I am going to try to make it. My husband loves apple butter. Thanks for the recipe. I only have one question. What kind of apples did you use?

8. Fran
    December 10, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Made this recipe last night and it turned out fabulously!!! I used half Macintosh and half gala apples. I will be making another batch and this will be great Christmas gifts. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.