the best garlic bread on the planet

~ garlic bread ~

Looking for the BEST garlic bread? This is ooey gooey, cheesy, garlicky, and delicious! The black olives are optional. Sometimes I add them, sometimes I don’t.

The first time I had this amazing garlic bread I was still living in my little apartment in White Bear Lake. My friend Amy and I would make weekly “craft” dates when we’d get together, create, and cook.

One of those days she came armed with the ingredients for this. It’s unlike any other garlic bread I’ve ever had. It’s creamy and garlicy and wonderful…and definitely not diet food. I once watched Jeff and his friend demolish an entire loaf in one sitting, but I don’t recommend it. One piece is usually my limit.

one long loaf of soft, French or Italian bread (not a skinny baguette)

1 heaping cup real mayonnaise

2 1nd 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated

1/2 heaping cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1/3 cup black olives, chopped fine (optional)

3 large garlic cloves, minced

2 Tablespoons onion, chopped fine or grated (optional)

freshly ground black pepper

Split loaf lengthwise. Place each half, crust side down, on a large, parchment-lined, baking sheet. Combine the other ingredients and spread the cheesy mayo mixture evenly over both halves of the bread. Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges and all of the topping is heated through and bubbly. Slice and serve immediately. We like ours dipped in zesty marinara sauce!

43 comments for “the best garlic bread on the planet

1. May 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Looks really delicious, Melissa! I believe you about the ‘best on the planet’ bit πŸ™‚ I have been away from blogging for a bit, and I am now catching up on what I’ve missed… I have missed a LOT of lovely posts from you and I am going to go do some serious reading now… πŸ™‚ Cheers!

May 16, 2012 at 9:33 pm

you’re going to love it πŸ™‚ thanks so much for visiting my little corner of the internet. xoxo

2. May 16, 2012 at 9:47 pm

thank you my dear friend for the notes at the top – i cannot stop at one when it comes to garlic bread, so i will not be making this unless company is coming! sounds awesome!

May 16, 2012 at 9:54 pm

enjoy my lovely! xoxo

3. Gigi
    May 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Looks delish. Will have to make this soon! <3

May 16, 2012 at 10:03 pm

enjoy Gigi! πŸ™‚

4. May 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

This really does look amazing… when I saw the picture I was really hoping the black bits were olives because I LOVE olives, never thought to put them on garlic bread!!

May 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

I bet you’ll love this! Thanks so much for commenting, Becca! πŸ™‚

• Lisa
      June 15, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Amazing recipe!

June 19, 2019 at 7:05 am

Thank you! πŸ™‚

5. May 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I make a very similar version and I agree it is the best!

May 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Hi Jenn! I make a similar bread to go with Indian dishes and my “Gypsy Stew.” I call it Gypsy bread…maybe you’ll like the new twist on this recipe…xo

Leisa’s Gypsy Bread

1 loaf good quality French bread

1 c. grated sharp Cheddar cheese

1/3 cup onion, chopped fine

2 large cloves garlic, minced

1 c. real mayonnaise

1/2 tsp. sweet curry powder (or more if you like…and I do) πŸ˜‰

1/2 c. chopped kalamata olives

1 cup mozarella cheese

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

2 Tablespoons dried parsley

Slice the loaf of bread lengthwise. Combine the rest of the ingredients until spreadable. Spread on the bread and broil at least 6 inches from the heating unit until cheese melts.

For Picnics: Prepare as directed but don’t broil. Wrap in foil, and pack in zip-locks. place in a cooler on ice. Grill or place foil pack on a campfire until heated through.

enjoy!
      ~M

6. Jan Laird
    March 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I have made this garlic bread a few weeks back. It looked so good that I couldn’t resist. I must say… IT IS DA BOMB !!!! Thank you so much for this recipe and all that you do !

March 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Hi Jan! So pleased you like it! the stuff is addictive πŸ˜‰ thanks so much for visiting me! xo

7. Michelle Shaffer
    August 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I recall a similar garlic bread my talented mother-in-law used to make. She would change the bread up depending on what we were having for dinner, by substituting the parm/mozzarella cheese with pepper jack, or cheddar or whatever kind of cheese rocks your world. Her recipe used scallions or chives, and always fresh parsley.

August 6, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hi Michelle! I love this recipe, and the idea of changing it up to fit the meal. Here’s another rendition for when you’re cooking Indian food or other spicy fare… Gypsy Bread! Just scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe… enjoy, and thanks for visiting! πŸ™‚ http://chindeep.com/2010/07/14/leisas-gypsy-stew/

8. Evelyn
    February 21, 2014 at 6:47 pm

This sounds yummy! Can’t wait to try this!

February 22, 2014 at 6:54 am

So glad you like the recipe! thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚ enjoy, Evelyn!

9. Julie
    February 23, 2014 at 9:01 pm

This was the most amazing garlic bread I have ever eaten! It was simply outstanding. My family not only loved it, they devoured it! πŸ™‚

Thank you for another great recipe Melissa!

February 25, 2014 at 12:11 am

My pleasure, Julie! So glad you all like it πŸ™‚ Enjoy the recipe! XO

10. Angie Vee
    July 15, 2014 at 8:58 am

Would butter work on place of mayo? I just can’t stand mayo. πŸ™‚

July 26, 2014 at 10:43 am

Hi Angie…

You don’t really taste “mayo” when you eat this. It’s just creamy and wonderful. If you use butter it’s a totally different recipe πŸ™‚ I would say if you’re going to sub butter for the mayo to not use nearly as much.

Hope that helps!

~M

11. Donna Bennett
    November 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Can’t wait to make this, looks amazing. Thank you for sharing:)

12. erlinda
    December 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm

love all ur dishes n i will be hooked on this garlic bread oxoxo

13. Wendy Couillard
    January 3, 2015 at 3:41 pm

im making French bread today and can’t wait to try this with my chilli con carnie tonight. It looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe

November 6, 2015 at 1:58 pm

thanks for including my recipe, sweet Nettie! πŸ™‚

14. Debbie
    August 18, 2017 at 8:46 am

looks delicious, noticed however 2 different temps video says 450 degree oven and recipe states 400 for the same amount of time (15 mins) should i split the difference say 425 degree oven πŸ™‚ ?

August 18, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Hi Debbie! Thanks for pointing that out πŸ™‚ I just went in and fixed the typo on the blog post… the correct temp. is 450 degrees F. πŸ˜‰

15. Arvy G
    September 22, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Firstly, a great thank!!!
    Really enjoy this recipe…

September 25, 2017 at 11:28 am

Hi Arvy! πŸ™‚ Thank YOU for trying my recipe. I’m so happy you like it. ~M

16. Chris Weaver
    November 29, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Was going to make this but unsure how much mozzarella cheese to use?

November 29, 2017 at 12:35 pm

The recipe says 2 to 2 and 1/2 cups.

17. Jeff
    February 17, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Tried this recipe a few months ago as compliment to some ribs I smoked. Turns out the ribs were the compliment to this amazing garlic bread! I have made it several times since and have received numerous compliments every time. Thank you for sharing!!

February 18, 2018 at 10:50 am

Hi Jeff! πŸ™‚
      I’m so happy to hear you like the garlic bread! It’s our favorite. Sometimes we make a big batch of it for parties and just serve it with marinara sauce for dipping. No real need for pasta, this stuff is heavy duty πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by. ~M

18. Heather
    May 10, 2018 at 7:51 am

I make this all the time and it’s a hit every time! I add a little crumbled cooked bacon also! Yum!

May 13, 2018 at 11:16 am

Genius move! πŸ™‚ Bacon is pretty darn good on everything. xoxo

19. Charlotte
    June 14, 2018 at 2:11 pm

REALLY cannot stand anything with mayo in it. Bad experience with it. Could Sour cream be substituted for mayo?

June 15, 2018 at 3:59 pm

I’ve never tried substituting. I would think sour cream would not work… It would get watery.

20. Beverly V. Broin
    March 7, 2019 at 4:25 pm

I was hoping to be able to ‘Print’ the recipe, as I don’t keep computer in my kitchen!

21. Gina
    July 8, 2019 at 7:08 pm

So when I first came across this recipe I was thrown for a minute with the mayo. But I decided “why not, let’s give it a try.” Oh! My! Goodness! I am so glad I did! This bread is awesome! You cant even taste the mayo at all. Just creamy, cheesy, garlicky goodness! I have made it quite a few times (making it again tonight). I usually halve everything because a whole loaf of bread is too much for my little family. Thank you so much for this delicious recipe!

July 9, 2019 at 8:36 am

Yay! I know, right? It’s so good, and super addictive. There are nights when this bread is all I want for dinner… dipped in copious amounts of marniara and paired with a good glass of wine. πŸ™‚ So happy you love it as much as I do! Thanks for stopping by. XO ~M