fillet-o-fish sandwich

~ fillet-o-fish sandwich ~

This is an amazing fish sandwich. I started with THIS recipe and then did some serious tweaking. The original recipe is fantastic too, but I like cheese, onion and dill on my fish sandwiches. Try it both ways and see which one you like best…or, maybe you’ll do some tweaking of your own 😉

3 big pieces of whitefish (we used Swai)

light olive oil for oven- frying

for flour/egg mixture:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 egg

1 cup milk

for panko coating:

1 and 1/2 cups panko

salt and pepper

for the lemon mayonnaise sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

juice of one lemon

zest of 1/2 lemon

2 Tablespoons chopped, fresh dill

1/4 cup chopped, fresh basil

1/4 cup onion, chopped fine

for sandwiches:

sourdough baguette or ciabatta

1 cup spring greens or arugula

6 slices extra sharp Vermont white cheddar cheese (we use Cabot)

1 beefsteak tomato, sliced thin

Heat oven and large jellyroll pan at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Pat fish so it’s very dry. Dip each fillet in the flour/egg mixture. Then dip in panko to coat. Set fillets on a plate to rest for the 30 minutes that the oven and pan are heating.

Pull sheet from oven, and pour about 1/3 cup of olive oil on the tray. Carefully place the breaded fish on the tray and sprinkle with a little more oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until fish is completely cooked through, flaky and golden.

Combine the ingredients for the lemon-herb mayo. Season to taste. Toast split baguette or ciabiatta halves in warmed oven until heated and toasty. Smear each side with lemon-herb mayo, Stack up a piece of fish, cheese, arugula, tomato and more fish and cheese if you wish. Serve with more of the mayo and lemon wedges on the side.

17 comments for “fillet-o-fish sandwich

1. April 29, 2012 at 10:58 am

Holy cow, this looks amazing!! I’m with you on the cheese and dill!!

April 29, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hi Lisa! Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy the recipe 🙂 xoox

2. May 2, 2012 at 2:20 am

Hi Melissa, I love a nice fillet of fish in a sandwich – it’s one of those fillings people don’t think of much when making a sandwich tbh and it always goes so well! I think a bit of sambal oelek would work really well too for a bit kick!

May 2, 2012 at 5:02 am

Hi Charles, I have never had sambal oelek. What is it? 🙂

• May 2, 2012 at 6:30 am

It’s a chilli purée/paste type o’ thing. Really good – the one I buy isn’t too strong and is just enough to add a kind of salty, hot kick to all sorts of things! Would definitely recommend finding some!

May 2, 2012 at 6:36 am

I’ll look for it! My “go to” condiment for the red pepper kick is Sriracha 🙂 I wonder if they’re at all the same?

• May 2, 2012 at 6:40 am

Ah, no – nothing like sriracha. I’ve actually gone off sriracha recently… been eating way too much 😀 Sriracha is a different type of chilli, and it’s smooth like ketchup. Sambal oelek is coarse, with defineable pieces of chilli skin and seeds inside!

May 2, 2012 at 6:44 am

oh my! that sounds really good. I will look for it and try it. thanks so much for recommending 🙂 …I know what you mean about Sriracha…after awhile it seems like a good idea to put it on everything! hee hee

• May 2, 2012 at 6:53 am

Mayonnaise, sriracha and cucumber sandwiches……… 😀

May 2, 2012 at 6:58 am

OH. MY. YUM!

3. marsha coder
    July 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I think the sambal (thats what we call it in my house) is actually a regularly used condiment w/most Indian dishes. Try seasoning cubed up chicken breasts or pork loin w/soy sauce,cumin,cinnamon,cayenne pepper,ginger,tumeric & poultry seasoning stirred together & poured overthe meat once its been browned in a skillet.serve it over plain white or brown rice w/a couple of fried overeasy eggs on the side,with little tastes of the sambal sauce w/each bite! You can thank me later! We call it Nossie.

July 4, 2013 at 6:29 am

now I HAVE to try it! thanks so much, Marsha! 🙂

4. marsha coder
    July 3, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Sambal is actually a regularly used condiment w/most Indian dishes. Try seasoning cubed up chicken or pork w/soy sauce,cumin,cinnamon,cayenne pepper,ginger,tumeric & poultry seasoning stirred together & poured overthe meat once its been browned in a skillet.serve it over plain white or brown rice w/a couple of fried overeasy eggs on the side,with little tastes of the sambal sauce w/each bite!

5. Karen2check
    January 1, 2014 at 1:49 pm

YUMMERS! Now I’m craving this!

January 1, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Hi Karen! Thanks for visiting and commenting 🙂 enjoy!

6. marsha
    January 2, 2014 at 11:57 am

I think I know what I’m havin for din-din! : )

January 2, 2014 at 6:49 pm