radish sandwiches

german-snack-DSC_0389_2

photograph by Melissa Placzek

~German Radish Sammy~

Childhood memory:

When I was in second and third grade I took private, after-school lessons to learn the German language. My teacher, Zantha, would always start our sessions with this after-school snack and a big mug of tea. This is still one of my favorite sandwiches! She would top crusty white bread or pumpernickel rye with a healthy layer of cream cheese, thick-sliced radishes, coarse salt and fresh-ground pepper. So simple and perfect. A yummy, healthy treat to enjoy for lunch or as a part of your afternoon tea ritual.

9 comments for “radish sandwiches

1. Kimber Dunn
    January 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I never knew these were German, but I’ve loved these sandwiches from a kid too!! My dad always made them for me and they were a favorite snack of mine too!! I love buying radishes at the farmers market for these great summer sandwiches!

2. admin
    January 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm

They really are a little bit of summer in the fridge…even in the middle of winter! 🙂

3. Sandy
    January 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm

A radish I will eat every now and then, but in a sandwich I will have to think again…

4. admin
    January 9, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Well, Sandy as you have told me before…you can’t please everyone all the time 😉

5. Heidi
    May 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I have been looking for a way to enjoy radishes…I have them in my fridge and I don’t know what to do with them– this sounds great! 🙂

May 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I think you’ll like this little sammy 🙂

6. Sally McGraw
    June 16, 2014 at 7:59 pm

YES! These are slightly different than the one I make using the Ranch dressing dip spread, but they sound just as wonderful. Love these little sandwiches on hot summer days – bet they’d be good with chive cream cheese, too!! Thank you for sharing your link to these!

June 18, 2014 at 7:05 am

Hi Sally! I like the idea of using ranch dip on radish sandwiches! Maybe I’ll give that a try next time 🙂 Thanks for visiting! XO ~M

• April 11, 2016 at 8:25 am

Sounds so yummy. I am going to try these. Sounds refreshing.