dolly parton’s five layer dinner

5layerafter

5layerbefore

“I’m not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I’m not dumb… and I also know that I’m not blonde.” ~Dolly Parton

I’m just waiting for the Dolly Parton jokes to start rolling in πŸ˜‰ This is a celebrity recipe, which means Dolly herself may or may not have actually made this dish…At any rate, it is very good and easy to prepare. There’s a fair amount of vegetables in it and Gracie still loves it. Maybe your kiddos will too.

Servings: 8

3 large, unpeeled potatoes (any type) washed and sliced thin
1 lb. extra lean ground beef, browned and crumbled
2 large onions, sliced, rings separated
2 large sliced tomatoes, 3 or 4Β  sliced Romas OR 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 and 1/2 green bell peppers, cut into big chunks

salt and pepper to taste ~ I use Lawry’s Seasoning salt and fresh ground pepper in this recipe. I also added a little garlic powder and about 1/2 cup fresh herbs , chopped fine. (a combination of hot & spicy oregano, chives, basil and parsley.)

Lightly butter a 9×13 glass cake pan. Layer, (overlapping) potatoes and drizzle a Tablespoon or two of olive oil or melted butter. Add browned beef, separated onions, tomatoes and green peppers. Add seasonings and optional herbs. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees F.

Serve with a drizzle of ketchup if you like.

11 comments for “dolly parton’s five layer dinner

1. Sandy Erdman
    June 24, 2010 at 10:50 am

I don’t have any Dolly jokes, but this recipe looks quick and easy. I always have to put a little cheese over or a dab of sour cream on the side. No wonder the story of my life is, “I am always on a diet”. Hey, got to try and keep that girlish figure…Ha! Ha!

2. June 24, 2010 at 11:12 am

I started substituting whole milk plain yogurt for sour cream awhile ago, and I love it! Maybe try that πŸ˜‰

3. Kimber Dunn
    October 5, 2010 at 10:25 am

This sounds like a super easy recipe that anyone can add or subtract ingredients as they like. Going to have to try it sometime! I don’t cook from scratch much this sounds easy to throw together in a pinch! Thanks for sharing!

4. admin
    October 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

It is very easy, yummy, and a great way to get the kiddos to eat their veggies πŸ˜‰

5. Kristina Hunt
    September 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I somehow missed this recipe before, but it was a suggested post at the bottom of the one I was reading. I think I may try this tonight! It sounds yummy! πŸ™‚ As always thanks for the amazing inspiration darling!

September 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Hi Kristina! So happy you like the recipe! thanks for visiting and commenting πŸ™‚ enjoy, my lovely friend! xo

6. Kristina
    September 9, 2013 at 6:22 pm

It’s in the oven. I didn’t have hamburger so I used ground Turkey but I mixed in some chopped spinach to beef it up a bit. The house already smells amazing! It was great because I already had the ingredients and needed to use them up!

September 9, 2013 at 7:30 pm

yay! I’m so happy you like it! Don’t ya just love when you happen to have all the ingredients for a recipe? πŸ™‚ hee hee… XOXO

7. Janeen
    January 7, 2019 at 5:47 pm

Sounds kind of like a recipe my mother used to make. She called it Shepherd’s Pie, but like the recipes I see she never topped it with mashed spuds. She used hamberger carrots and spuds. It was great. I will try this with a variation. Thanks