carrot cheddar curry tea sandwiches

~ carrot cheddar curry tea sandwiches ~

Today I made some of our favorite tea sandwiches for teatime. Carrot cheddar curry. We made these little sammies at both of the tearooms where I was employed, and everyone loved them! The mincemeat is my addition, and I think it makes these sandwiches even more wonderful. If you don’t have mincemeat, leave it out…or substitute a little chopped green apple andΒ  some raisins or sultanas. These little treats are creamy-crunchy, sweet and tangy, with just a hint of curry. They are wonderful with any black tea, but particularly good with a cup of Darjeeling.

10-12 slices of white or wheat sandwich bread

2 large carrots, peeled and grated

1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 heaping Tablespoon mincemeat pie filling

2 heaping Tablespoons real mayonnaise

1 teaspoon sweet curry powder

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine all of the ingredients for the filling, and adjust seasonings if needed. Make sandwiches. Cut off the crusts and cut into finger sandwiches or triangles. Arrange on a pretty platter or tiered sandwich server with other teatime treats. Garnish with edible flowers or fresh herbs if you wish.

Happy TeaTime Tuesday!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

23 comments for “carrot cheddar curry tea sandwiches

1. Julia Bravo
    May 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

I love your recipes!!!

May 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

Aw! Thanks so much for stopping by to tell me that. You made my day. XO πŸ™‚

2. May 9, 2012 at 6:27 pm

ok vegan mayo for me (i actually prefer the taste) and i am ON THESE!!! Y U M!!!!!

May 9, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Hello there baby cakes! What do you substitute for the cheese? or are you doing dairy again? πŸ™‚ xo

• May 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm

well…. cheese is the ONE thing i have never really been able to give up. πŸ™‚ just can’t help it – it’s SOOOOOOOOOO good!!

May 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm

that TOTALLY makes sense! enjoy my sweetie πŸ™‚ xoxo btw…..I MISS YOU! can’t wait to see you again. Let me know when your train arrives πŸ˜‰

3. Lori
    August 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I do not like Curry. Is there something else I could sub for the sweet curry?

August 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Hi Lori. πŸ™‚ you could either leave it out, or maybe try a little nutmeg…maybe cumin?

August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

nope…I know what I’d do. Add a little ginger in place of the curry. It will go awesome with the carrots. xoxo

4. Alison Arsenault
    September 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Why or why have I never thought ti use this combination in a sandwich, love curry carrot soup so I know I will love these. I will have to have this tomorrow for my lunch. Thanks for sharing.

September 15, 2012 at 7:58 pm

my pleasure Lovely πŸ™‚ thanks for visiting! xo

5. December 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

These are amazing! What a clever add-on to use mincemeat. I did them for a party I catered last week.The only problem was doing them on white bread – the carrot bled through by the end of the evening. I’m doing them again tomorrow and using a dark wheat bread instead. Anyway – the guests just loved the flavor. For those not crazy about curry, the flavor is very mellow … def works all together!

December 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm

definitely a teatime favorite in our house too! xoxo, and thanks for stopping by Maria πŸ™‚

6. Kam
    March 27, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I can’t wait to try these, I think that in place of mincemeat I will use either pear chutney, candy roaster chutney ( made from North Georgia Candy Roaster squash ) or green tomato chutney …all made from items from my garden πŸ˜‰

7. Stasi
    March 24, 2017 at 5:09 am

Where I live we do not have a wide verity of stuff and I cant find sweet curry. I have not had much luck making my own curries before. Is there some spices I could add the the curry powder I do have to make it sweet curry powder?

March 25, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Can you find regular curry powder? Sometimes curry powder is referred to as “sweet” but it just means the stuff that’s not spicy. πŸ™‚ Hope that helps! ~M

8. Beth
    June 16, 2017 at 9:38 am

I am thinking these will be good on cinnamon raisin bread. Have you ever tried that? What doyou think?

June 16, 2017 at 11:37 am