In My Kitchen~Potato Latkes

One of our favorite autumn treats. Last night while the mister was grilling fresh salmon, I was making up a batch of latkes… Potatoes are the epitome of comfort food, don’t you think?

The recipe I use is from Nancy Willard’sĀ  book, Cracked Corn & Snow Ice Cream. It’s simple and perfect. Try it and see for yourself. The only specification I would make for this recipe would be to use really good olive oil for frying the latkes. In my opinion,Ā  good quality olive oil makes a wonderful recipe even better. I have added a little garlic powder to these before,Ā  which is also yummy, but not necessary.

What’s cooking in your kitchen?

6 comments for “In My Kitchen~Potato Latkes

1. your Momma-in-law
    October 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm

We LOVE potato pancakes…….here is a short cut I figured out when I was dying for some of these little gems and did not have a lot of time. I used frozen hash brown potatoes! Just warm them in the microwave to thaw them, then squeeze them in paper towels, and go on with your recipe!
    Delicious with bacon or sausage for breakfast, with a “side” of warm apple sauce or syrup…….

2. admin
    October 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for the shortcut recipe Mama Sue! I will probably be trying this at some point šŸ˜‰

XO,
    M

3. Sandy
    October 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Now Momma-in-law is my kind of gal….Looking for and doing those short cuts…They tell me that comes with age and a few kids later…

4. admin
    October 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

this does sound like a nice short cut. However, once in awhile I find it very rewarding and satisfying to shred things. When this happens I just take out a pile of potatoes and take out my aggressions on them. šŸ˜‰

5. November 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

These look so good, Melissa!! They would be excellent for breakfast or brunch:)

November 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

They are very yummy! I like to make them instead of the traditional hashbrowns šŸ™‚ enjoy! xo