cheddar bread

This is a beautifully moist, cheesy bread that is wonderful right out of the oven or toasted. Either way it’s one of my favorite accompaniments to a big bowl of soup! It’s so easy to prepare and will fill your house with the cozy scent of fresh-baked bread. Aromatherapy at it’s very best.

2 and 1/2 cups bread flour

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 package active dry yeast

1 and 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I like extra sharp!)

3/4 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup butter

3 large eggs, beaten

In the bowl of your Kitchen Aid, combine 1 and 1/2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Stir in cheese with a wooden spoon. In a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk and butter until warm (120 to 130 degrees F.) Add the milk mixture to the eggs, mix until just combined, and then add the wet mixture to the dry mixture in the Kitchen Aid bowl. Using the paddle attachment, blend on low speed just until moistened. Turn the mixer up to medium and beat for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining cup of flour by hand. Cover loosely with a piece of buttered plastic wrap, set in a warm place and allow to rise for an hour, or until doubled in size.

Generously butter a 2 quart casserole pan. Gently stir down the dough with a wooden spoon to remove all the bubbles. Turn into the buttered casserole pan. Cover with the buttered plastic wrap again, set in in a warm place and allow to rise an additional 40 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover dough. Bake for 45 minutes or until deep golden brown. Immediately remove the bread from the casserole pan and allow it to cool on a wire rack.

18 comments for “cheddar bread

1. Ruth Cobb
    September 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm

The picture looks it was baked in a muffin pan. What is the yield?
    We are thinking about having a soup dinner for a club my husband and I attend, and some fresh bread would go wonderfully with soup.

September 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hi Ruth! It was baked in a 2 quart casserole, as the recipe indicates 🙂 the yield is one large loaf. enjoy!

2. Donia
    September 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Made this tonight with a chicken butternut squash stew…yummy! Thanks for sharing.

September 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm

so pleased you enjoyed it! thanks for letting me know 😉

3. Linda Williams
    January 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Oh my goodness, so yummy! I’m baking a second loaf right now bc we devoured the first one w dinner

January 16, 2013 at 12:52 am

yay! so glad you like the bread, Linda! it’s one of our favorites too! xoxo 🙂

4. Charmaine
    April 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I tried this recipe and I must have done something wrong, it didn’t rise well. It turned out very dense, not like what I expected. Tastes great but no lift to it.

April 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Hi Charmaine…Sorry to hear that :/ This is one of the lightest, fluffiest breads in my repertoire. I can’t imagine what went wrong. Thanks for visiting! 🙂

5. Sarilyn
    December 15, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I’ve never commented, but I thought it was time as I’ve made this bread probably a dozen times. It is my go to, favorite, bring to every event, family get together item. Everyone loves it. Cheesy, light, fluffy deliciousness. Yum! Thanks for the great recipe! 🙂

December 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Hello there lovely Sarilyn 🙂 I am so happy you decided to drop me a line! Oh my gosh…isn’t this bread awesome? totally addictive. Thanks for being an ambassador of this little cheesy recipe. Hee hee. XO ~M

6. Dora
    September 24, 2014 at 10:19 am

Would it be possible to bake this in a bundt pan? If so, at what temperature and for how long? Thanks. This sounds delicious.

7. Micaela
    April 22, 2016 at 11:49 am

Hi! I’m from Argentina and it’s really difficult to get buttermilk here. I can do it by adding vinegar or lemon, but it’s not the same… it doesn’t taste good. What else can I use instead of buttermilk? Thank you so much!

April 22, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Hi Micaela 🙂
      Sure, you can substitute regualr (whole or 2%) milk mixed with lemon or vinegar for the buttermilk. Great question! Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the bread!

• Micaela
        April 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Thank you, Melissa! The thing is I don’t want to mix it with lemon or vinegar because it doesn’t taste well. What else could I use instead of buttermilk? Thanks again!

April 22, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Oh dear, sorry! I misread your last comment. I would try plain yogurt watered down with a little whole milk. 🙂

• Micaela