buckingham palace shortbread with flower blossoms

~ buckingham palace shortbread  with flower blossoms ~

fit for a queen…

2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature

2/3 cup granulated sugar

4 cups pastry flour

1 and 1/3 cups cornstarch

edible flowers

egg whites

superfine sugar

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. In a medium bowl, stir the flour and cornstarch together. Gently stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until it forms a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Dust the dough lightly with flour. Roll out to a 3/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter. Transfer to a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and paint on a little eggwhite (using a small pastry brush.) Gently press a small, edible flower blossom into the center of each cookie. Paint a little more eggwhite over the blossoms to flatten and smooth them out. Sprinkle a little superfine sugar over the cookies and bake an additional 5 minutes (or until cookies are just slightly golden and firm.) Enjoy with your favorite English brew!

Makes 4 dozen cookies.

Happy TeaTime!

6 comments for “buckingham palace shortbread with flower blossoms

1. June 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Wow, these are stunning!

June 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

thanks so much Brianne! enjoy 🙂 xo

2. Karen Toocheck
    November 2, 2012 at 7:18 am

WOWZEE!!! Girlie…How do I miss this stuff? I just found this and posted last night. I wish you would tag me when you do flower recipes (please, please, please). From the date I can tell you posted when I’m crazy busy growing and have lost all my hair TWICE, by that time of the year! I can’t tell you how much I love this! Thank you!

November 2, 2012 at 10:37 am

Hello my sweetie pie Karen! I thought you had already seen this recipe. I sure will tag you whenever I do a flower recipe. no problem at all! thanks again for the BEAUTIFUL crystallized flowers! I have so many fun plans for them. XOXOXO 🙂

3. Anne P.
    December 17, 2016 at 10:59 am

The texture and taste of these are perfect! One correction though…I think you meant to say to roll them out to 1/4″ instead of 3/4″. That would be way too thick and you’d never get 4 dozen out of the recipe with that thickness.

December 18, 2016 at 9:52 am