crumpets

~crumpets~

The crumpet. Quintessentially English. Part English muffin, part pancake. The perfect accompaniment to tea and the perfect vehicle for butter and preserves.

Crumpets are usually baked in metal flan rings on a hot griddle. I personally think the rings are unnecessary, and like to free-form my crumpets. It may take a few batches to get the hang of making them, and they require the same proofing and raising times as most yeast breads, but I think they’re worth the hassle. I hope you agree!

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup boiling water

1 package active dry yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 and 3/4 cups sifted, all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 Tablespoon water

Combine milk and boiling water. Cool to lukewarm. Add yeast and sugar and allow to proof. Mix the salt and sifted flour together. Combine with yeast mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Let batter rise, uncovered, in a warm place until almost doubled in bulk and bubbly. Add the dissolved baking soda, and beat into the crumpet batter. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk again.

Spoon batter by Tablespoonfuls onto a moderately hot, lightly buttered griddle (or cast iron skillet.) Cook until dry and bubbly on top. Flip crumpets and brown lightly on the other side. Allow to cool. To serve, toast in a toaster. Butter generously and top with your favorite preserves, jam, honey, marmalade or fruit curd.

Happy Teatime Tuesday!

12 comments for “crumpets

1. May 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm

smuckers? i’d better get some jams out to you!!! 🙂

May 10, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I did that on purpose, LOL 😉

2. Melissa
    May 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm

The Smucker’s Cherry Preserves are pretty darn good for the price though. Whole cherries in there! Of course not as good as anything I’ve had that you’ve made. XO

3. May 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm

i want to make cherry jam this year – LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! good to know they have a good one until then 🙂

May 10, 2011 at 7:15 pm

It really is! Another good one…their pineapple apricot. I know, sacrilege. I have to learn how to can stuff! It’s on my ‘to-do’ list 😉

4. May 10, 2011 at 7:18 pm

that does sound good! is there one prominent flavor or are they balanced?

May 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

pretty balanced. I would say a tiny bit more apricot than pineapple. SO GOOD with brie and crackers and a glass of dry white wine.

5. Kimber Dunn
    May 12, 2011 at 11:35 am

Maria – do you make up your own jam recipes?? I’m looking to make more of these when I can, but I’m not good at experimenting – at least not on purpose & knowing what I’m doing. LOL I end up following online recipes, and screwing them up somehow and the experiment is how it turns out after that. 😉 Crumpets sound delicious btw. I really wish I had more time to spend in the kitchen, and wish I enjoyed it like you do. I prefer the eating. I need to start dating a chef or something. LOL

May 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Yes, crumpets are yummy, and perfect with tea. Oh, and if you haven’t tried Maria’s jam yet, you are in for a treat! 🙂

6. May 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Hi Kimber – I started out using the Ball Canning blue book of canning, and it works out perfect every time. I have since begun testing out some recipes on my own, starting with the measurements in that book. I made one small batch of maple cranberry jam and it was awesome! I made a cranberry apple rhubarb that was also yummy, best with cheese (esp brie) and crackers.

May 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

did someone say brie? uh oh. Now I want some 😉 Have you ever tried triple cream brie and lavender honey? oh. my. gosh. yummy!

7. Kimber Dunn
    May 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I haven’t yet. Was considering placing an order soon though!!