A few of you have written, asking me about my book collection. I really appreciate the interest. Thanks!
First, you should know I have a ton of antique and vintage books. I collect the classics, children’s books and cookbooks (in general) and the following authors’ works (in particular.) My hope is that the list will inspire you to start your own collection, or expand an already existing one. I have gotten so much inspiration from the following authors. (Note- the authors with an asterisk (*) after their name are currently still writing, and have books in print.
1) Peg Bracken– author of “The I Hate to Cook Book,” “The Appendix to the I Hate to Cook Book,” “I Hate to Housekeep Book,” and “I Try to Behave Myself.”
2) Gladys Taber– author of many books, but my favorites are the Stillmeadow titles, the cookbooks and the decorating books.
3) Helen Hoover– author of “The Gift of the Deer,” “A Place in the Woods,” “The Years of the Forest,” and “The Long Shadowed Forest”
4) Florence Page Jacques– author of “Canoe Country,” “The Geese Fly High,” “Canadian Spring,” and “As Far as the Yukon”
5) Helen and Scott Nearing– authors of “Living the Good Life,” “The Maple Sugar Book,” “Continuing the Good Life,” “Simple Food for the Good Life,” and many others. I like the homesteading ones, not the ones on socialism. Just sayin’ 🙂
6) Kate Greenaway– anything including her illustrations…but my favorites “The Language of Flowers,” and her first book “Under the Window.”
7) Beatrix Potter– absolutely everything she had ever done.
8 Alexandra Stoddard *-all works
9) Sara Midda* (my biggest inspiration and friend…Hi Sara!) absolutely everything she has ever written or painted
10)Diane Ackerman* – all works