chicken soup with rice

Today I made a pot of Chicken Soup with Rice.

This was Andie’s favorite soup and one of her favorite books when she was a munchkin.

I used THIS RECIPE from Gourmet Magazine.

photographs by Melissa Placzek

I added a few things, like whole, fresh sprigs of rosemary, a little fresh lemon thyme, mushrooms, and wild rice along with the white Jasmine rice.

I love how versatile chicken soup is, and how you can add what you have on hand.

Gracie is oohing and aahing over this soup too….hmmm…is loving this soup genetic? Or is it just that good?

17 comments for “chicken soup with rice

1. Dana
    February 27, 2011 at 9:29 am

This looks very similar to my favorite soup, which is cheesy chicken wild rice. It’s one my dad threw together on a whim one winter day and let simmer for a good 6 hours before my friends and I, home visiting from college for the weekend, sat down to what turned out to be the best soup EVER.

2. Melissa
    February 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

OOh…Dana, that sounds really good! Recipe please! 🙂

3. Sandy
    February 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hee! Hee! Glad you told what magazine you got this from….Looks very good on these cloudy winter days…The colors give a hint of spring…

4. Melissa
    February 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Thanks sweet lady! I love how you understand me. Can’t wait for our girls’ day out 😉

5. Dana
    February 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm

If I can get him to tell me, I’ll pass the recipe on, for sure. He hasn’t made it for a long time. Maybe I can inspire him to tell me and then I’LL make it. The recipe will be mine. Oh yes… it WILL be MINE.

6. Melissa
    February 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Yay! Thanks!

7. Sandy
    February 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Oh Dana don’t forget to put that the recipe was passed onto you from your dad…We sometimes have to watch for those recipe police on this blog…right Melissa..LOL.

8. Melissa
    February 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Very true! “We must give credit where credit is due!” LOL

9. Dana
    February 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Oh dear… yes, we wouldn’t want someone else to take credit for my dad’s yummy soup (or any other recipe that isn’t rightfully theirs). Good thing you’re copyrighted. Some people just don’t have enough creativity and/or brains to be original. 🙂

10. Melissa
    February 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Amen.

11. March 1, 2011 at 7:26 pm

i love soup like this! it looks so warming and cozy, with lots of veggies! and that book is adorable! Dana – i have one like that, cheeseburger soup. mmmmm

12. Melissa
    March 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

yup! yummy and healthy!…the book, a classic Maurice Sendak…other favorites by him, “In the Night Kitchen” and “Where the Wild Things Are.”

I’ve never had cheeseburger soup! Sounds interesting 🙂

13. March 1, 2011 at 8:17 pm

ahhhh that’s where i recognized the drawing from! didn’t know he did ‘kitchen’ work!

cheeseburger soup can be done in the crockpot too. velveeta, hamburger, rotel or chopped tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, beef broth, worchestershire, black pepper and i like kale in it to lighten the richness a little. it’s so flexible (like chix and rice soup), you can use whatever you want in it! i like carrots and celery, some may not like it with mushrooms. green or yellow onions, garlic or not. love this soup!

14. Melissa
    March 1, 2011 at 8:31 pm

That sounds good! Thanks for the recipe 🙂 It reminds me of my Stuffed Pepper soup. Want me to post the recipe?

15. March 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm

ooooh sure!

16. Melissa
    March 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

okay….wait for it…wait for it…

17. Melissa