I started posting a “word of the day” on the bistro board that hangs on our dining room wall…
My commitment for the “Day Zero” Project is to expand my vocabulary by 100 words in the next 1001 days, but I think I love this word a day thing too much to ever stop.
Here are the answers to the “50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind Survey.” Personally, this isn’t the most thought provoking questionnaire I’ve ever completed…and for some reason there are 51…
1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? 20
2. Which is worse, failing or never trying? never trying
3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do? fear
4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done? no
5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world? ignorance
6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich? art
7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing? doing what I believe in
8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently? I would do what I am doing now.
9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken? in lots of ways. I resolve to be creative every day.
10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? doing the right things
11. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do? I absolutely stick up for my friend. Loyalty is number one for me.
12. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be? try to have fun every day
13. Would you break the law to save a loved one? that depends. why do I have to save them from the law? what did they do?
14. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity? yes
15. What’s something you know you do differently than most people? I actually follow my heart and my instincts.
16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy? because most people aren’t happy when they see someone else who is genuinely happy and following their dreams.
17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? Travel to Europe.
18. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of? yes
19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why? Italy or Maui. Why? The beauty
20. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?no and no
21. Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?a worried genius
22. Why are you, you? who knows
23. Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend? I always try to be.
24. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you? losing touch
25. What are you most grateful for? my health, my husband and children
26. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones? lose old
27. Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first? yes
28. Has your greatest fear ever come true? actually, yes…one of them
29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now? it didn’t really matter even then
30. What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so special? going to Disney Land with my grandparents. The memory of pure joy is what makes it so special.
32. At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive? when I was writing my novel
33. If not now, then when? the only time is now. it’s the only thing that’s real.
34. If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose? nothing to lose and so much more to do. so much more to be.
35. Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever? yes
36. Why do religions that support love cause so many wars? because people are such passionate creatures. Especially when it comes to love.
37. Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil? I believe so.
38. If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job? no way.
39. Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?more work I enjoy.
40. Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?no
41. When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in? today
42. If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today? Jeff, Andie and Grace
43. Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?no
44. What is the difference between being alive and truly living? doing what you know you were put on this planet to do, not just existing.
45. When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right? right now
46. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake? I’m not afraid to make a mistake.
47. What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you? I’m not worried about people judging me.
48. When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing? today while walking
49. What do you love? Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love? my family. Yes, I tell them all every day. Several times a day.
50. In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday? What about the day before that? Or the day before that? I will remember working toward that one big goal. I will remember moments, but probably not entire days.
51. Decisions are being made right now. The question is: Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you? Making decisions for myself.
Have you started the “Day Zero Project”? What’s on your list?