Tequilaberry’s Salad

newtequilaberry

“It’s certain that fine women eat a crazy salad with their meat.” ~Yeats

My friend Sherida shared this recipe with me years ago when Tequilaberry’s was still open. It was a great restaurantย  located in Coon Rapid’s Minnesota. They were known for their prime rib and this spectacular salad. They have sadly closed their doors, but nobody that enjoyed this salad can seem to live without it for very long. I came across it when I was looking through my recipes a couple days ago…

and decided to make it and post a little how-to, just in case anyone out there is looking for this little gem. Enjoy!

Tequilaberry’s Salad

1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped into 1 inch pieces

1 head cauliflower, chopped

1 lb. bacon

1 cup real mayonnaise (no substitutes)

2 and 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

1 and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Combine chopped lettuce…

and chopped cauliflower… in a large mixing bowl.

Fry bacon until crispy, blot and chop into bite size pieces. Add bacon to the lettuce mixture. Discard bacon grease.

To make the dressing:

Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and parmesan cheese in a small mixing bowl. Add the dressing to the lettuce mixture until completely incorporated. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator. I like to grind a little fresh pepper over the top before serving.

61 comments for “Tequilaberry’s Salad

1. February 27, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Definitely a hit. Can’t get enough of it. As your recipe says- serve immediately- best when it’s super fresh. Great way to get the kids to eat cauliflower (with their bacon.) Bacon!

2. February 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

Hey there Hubby,
    Thanks for the comment ๐Ÿ™‚ I may have to challenge you to a duel for the last bit of salad in the fridge. Hee hee.

xoxo,
    Me

3. Sandy
    February 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Hey! Great way to get me to eat bacon and my veggies all in a salad. Like the dishes, too….Nice placemats as I got the same…Good Taste!

4. February 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Ooh, I have another bacon+veggies=bliss recipe that I’ll pass your way Sandy. It’s called “Candied Broccoli” ๐Ÿ™‚ Of course you noticed the dishes, vintage collector-woman! See…I told you…red and white… hee hee

• March 2, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Sandy, here’s the recipe… ๐Ÿ™‚
      Candied Broccoli-
      * 10 slices bacon
      * 1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
      * 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
      * 1/2 cup raisins
      * 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
      * 2 tablespoons white sugar
      * 1 cup mayonnaise
      * 1 cup sunflower seeds

Directions

1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
      2. In a medium bowl, combine the broccoli, onion and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
      3. Before serving, toss salad with crumbled bacon and sunflower seeds.

• Jaime Long
        January 18, 2014 at 9:31 am

I make a VERY similar recipe, but we call it Broccoli Salad, the only difference is add some raisins to it. Its a big hit we I come from. Also, I have see it with shredded cheddar cheese added.

January 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hi Jaime! Your salad sounds very similar to my candied broccoli salad ๐Ÿ™‚ yummy! thanks for visiting and commenting.

• Diane F
          November 20, 2014 at 3:23 pm

You can get very creative with the broccoli salad. I’ve also added cranberries and crushed pineapple, along with the shredded cheddar cheese.

• Nancy
          February 13, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Hi Jamie, I also make it that way with the Cheddar Cheese. My mother use to make it.

5. May 7, 2010 at 5:23 pm

A great and simple recipe. Perfect for any event….
    Great for Cinco De Mayo festivities, too!!

I think we’ll give it a try at our place.

6. May 7, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the comment Susan!

7. November 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Back in the day, I had many dinners in the “prime rib loft” at Tequilaberry’s! The salad was definitely always a highlight of the dinner!! The dressing was sooo good:)

November 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Hi Lisa!
      My friend Sherida use to frequent the restaurant and the owner gave her the recipe…and she gave it to me. This is the authentic recipe. It is absolutely one of our all time favorite salads ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy! xoxo

8. March 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm

This is a must try! How perfect for a dinner on a warm night!

March 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Hello Annabelle! So glad you like the recipe! enjoy…and beware, this stuff is addictive ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Emily
    December 21, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Sounds awesome! Wish I could pin this. I need to put it in my in-law visit folder!

December 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hello Emily! I’m on Pinterest….just go to the link and look at the “best food bloggers” board. I’ll post the recipe there for you to pin. XO

• Emily
        December 22, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thanks I will!

10. March 7, 2013 at 7:54 am

Oh yum, thanks for bringing this to the party!!

March 7, 2013 at 9:40 am

Hi Tara! My pleasure! enjoy, and thanks for visiting ๐Ÿ™‚

11. tc37
    April 17, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I referenced your site on my blog with your Tequilaberry salad dressing. I love it! I did live in Coon Rapids and used to love to go there! At that time I couldn’t get the recipe for their dressing. I am glad they finally gave it out. You have a nice site and great recipes. Thank you for posting! allkindsofthingsblog.wordpress.com

April 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm

thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment, and for the blog reference! Enjoy, this is definitely one of our favorites! ๐Ÿ™‚

12. July 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I have been wanting to make this for a while now and today was the day. Yum! And I think I will be eating it all by myself. My husband doesn’t seem interested. His loss! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

July 13, 2013 at 12:05 am

Hi there Elaine! I’m so pleased that you tried the recipe and that you like it! Definitely a favorite in our house too ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I hope you’ll visit again soon! XO ~Melissa

13. Sandra
    August 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for sharing this delicious salad. My family loved it! I also added a little fresh kale chopped like the iceburg and some halved cherry tomatoes from our overflowing backyard garden. Did you use fresh grated parmesan in your dressing?

August 5, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Hi Sandra! I love your additions to this recipe! yummy and healthy ๐Ÿ™‚ I actually have used fresh grated parm, and the powdered parm on different occasions. I usually like fresh parm in my recipes, but I found that the powdered stuff really does work better for this. It mixes in better. of course, it’s all a matter of personal taste ๐Ÿ˜‰ enjoy! XO ~M

14. Michele
    October 9, 2013 at 8:48 am

This is an old favorite, indeed. I used to go to Tequilaberrys with a friend of mine… We’d nibble on the prime rib, but the salad was always our priority. She came up with her own version of the recipe, but I’m dying to try yours. Love it! Thanks so much for bringing this recipe back! Cheers!

December 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Hi Michele! thanks so much for stopping by and for commenting! enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚

15. sally
    December 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Dressing does need 1 tablespoon, if not more, of onion powder mixed with the mayo. And Hellman’s does make it better. Love it. We have it every Christmas. We were definitely sorry when the restaurant in Coon Rapids closed down. We went there quite often.

December 22, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Hi Sally, This is the actual, original recipe for Tequilaberry’s salad which never included onion powder. It was given to a friend of mine directly from the owner. There are a lot of knock-offs of this recipe where people have added their own additions. I think it’s cool when people tweak recipes to suit their own tastes and make them their own. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m always adding garlic and onion to my stuff too. hee hee…

We miss the restaurant too! Sad to see a great place like that close it’s doors.

16. Sue Meismer-Peterson
    February 6, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Just curious .. This looks AND sounds amazing! But, how many calories is in this beauty?
    Cuz I could eat the whole thing in one sitting!

February 6, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Hi Sue! Honestly, I have no idea, but I can tell you it’s a bunch ๐Ÿ™‚ I only make this naughty recipe a few times a year as a side dish. hee hee… enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!

17. Ted
    February 8, 2014 at 2:56 am

Why real mayonnise? Can’t do cool whip or a non fat mayonnise?

February 8, 2014 at 7:18 am

Hi Ted,
      This salad is all about flavor.Did you mean Miracle Whip? (Cool Whip would definitely not work in this salad ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Miracle Whip tastes completely different than mayonnaise, and because of the ingredients, it’s already too sweet to be a base for the dressing that calls for more sugar. Miracle Whip and non fat mayonnaise would both cause your salad to become watery, due to the lower fat content. Trust me, you use a cup of real, all-fat mayonnaise in this or it will taste weird. I know people who have tried it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope that helps, and answers you question. Best, ~Melissa

18. Sally McGraw
    June 19, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Tequilaberry Salad is one of my favorite summer salads – so good served ice cold on a hot day. It’s hearty , though obviously a bit on the fatty side, but we have to splurge once in awhile! Thank you for reminding me of this delicious salad – now I have to go find a reason to make some!

June 22, 2014 at 8:36 am

Hi Sally! ๐Ÿ™‚

I completely agree… This is one you don’t want to make TOO too often, but it’s fun for a splurge. We love it for summer gatherings and picnics… That way I don’t have a whole vat of it in the fridge calling my name ๐Ÿ˜‰ hee hee… win, win. XOXO ~M

• Sally McGraw
        June 22, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Isn’t that the truth? I usually try to make those really decadent, high-fat, or high-sugar recipes when there are LOTS of people around to eat the majority of it!! But i will admit that sometimes I stash some of it to the back of the refrigerator just for me!!

19. Marcy
    August 31, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked in my phone for weeks…..I finally made it today and it’s awesome! Thanks!

September 6, 2014 at 9:52 am

My pleasure, Marcy! I’m so happy you like it! Thanks for visiting and for trying my recipe! XOXO ~M

20. Bob W.
    September 13, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Is the Parmesan cheese grated or the powdered kind ? Can’t wait to make this. Thanks.

• Kat T
      January 3, 2018 at 12:20 pm

would like to know the answer to this too

January 3, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Powdered ๐Ÿ™‚

January 3, 2018 at 1:40 pm

powdered ๐Ÿ™‚

• Carol Billman
        April 25, 2019 at 7:00 am

ewwwwwwwww stinky feet smelly cheese. Can one use fresh grated?

April 26, 2019 at 7:41 am

LOL… Well, you can, but it’s not as good. This is one of those recipes where the powdered stuff is actually better.

21. Wanda Hall
    November 17, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Is there another option than adding sugar? I’m diabetic ;( Looks very good though!

22. tracy
    November 19, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Is the cauliflower raw or cooked???

23. Michele
    December 30, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Oh my goodness… Every time this recipe comes up on your site, it makes me catch my breath. I used to go to Tequilaberry’s with a girlfriend that, sadly, is no longer with us. We used to go there and fill up on the salad) the restaurant’s specialty – prime rib – was inconsequential)… Calories don’t count with this recipe, but I’m telling you, each one is so worth it. Thank you for sharing, Melissa!

24. Patti Halliday-Glubke
    February 6, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I have to make this for 40 people and can’t figure out people to quantities, can you help?

25. Barbara Powers
    February 7, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I found that if you run the bacon under cold water, don’t blot it, just shake off the excess water, and place it immediately in the heated frying pan, there is hardly any bacon grease to discard, and you get really crispy bacon. To this recipe, I think I would enjoy halved grape tomatoes. It does sound really great!

26. Betty
    February 6, 2016 at 7:30 am

Where is the recipe for the salad dressing?

• Betty
      February 6, 2016 at 7:33 am

If I had looked a little further I would have seen it thanks

27. Barbara marona
    June 16, 2016 at 4:45 pm

I can’t wait to try this salad. Have been seeing it jump out to me several times. This restaurant sounds like I would really love it. We had one here in Huntsville, Al for years. It was called Mr Steak and everything they had was awesome. Too bad it closed several years ago and I am still trying to copy some of their recipes.

June 16, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Hi Barbara! ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy.

28. Esther
    November 12, 2017 at 5:10 pm

So glad I came across this recipe! Our family was just talking about it. I’ll have to make it soon! Thank you!

November 20, 2017 at 2:23 pm

It’s so good! Enjoy! ๐Ÿ™‚

29. Lewis Demitroff
    December 21, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Thanks, When they served there Prime rib they had a Neapolitan, light fluffy, I think it had marshmallows, and the bread that they brought out was great, do you have the recipes.

December 22, 2017 at 4:27 pm