Buttermints Baby Blanket

butterbabyblanket-e

“Heirloom” is knitting code for “This pattern is so difficult that you would consider death a relief.  ~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, At Knit’s End:  Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

I promised I’d start sharing my knitting and crocheting projects with you and I’m starting with a baby blanket I crocheted for my grandbaby Madeline May. The blanket was crocheted with a F/5-3.75 Boye crochet hook using Bernat Softee Baby Yarn in ‘Rose,’ ‘Baby Green,’ ‘Baby Yellow,’ and ‘Pure White.’   I originally started using a more expensive merino yarn that was soft, but surprisingly not as soft as the acrylic baby yarn that I could purchase for about $4 a skein, compared to the more ‘organic’ yarn at $12 a skein. I’ve discovered that I enjoy using either a very smooth yarn like the Softee, or even “Simply Soft” when I’m crocheting. I like more textured yarns for knitting (unless the project is very detailed and the fine intricacies become lost when using a ‘nubby’ yarn.)

The stitch I chose is commonly called “fan” or “seashell.” This has become one of my all time favorite stitches and I’m thinking about making a blanket for Jeff and I in beachy colors in this same pattern to use as a summer throw.

I’m learning all sorts of new techniques in knitting and crocheting and have just figured out a pattern for a beanie hat. I will post more pictures as I finish projects. Enjoy!

Love,

Melissa

23 comments for “Buttermints Baby Blanket

1. Carolina Perez
    March 16, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Hi!
    It is a darling blanket! Would you kindly share where can I find the pattern, with the stitch called “fan” Or “seashell”
    Thanks in advance!
    Carolina

2. March 17, 2010 at 8:08 am

Hi Carolina,
    I sort of made the pattern for the blanket up…but the fan stitch can be found in my favorite crocheting book, “The Happy Hooker” by Debbie Stoller. It’s a great book, and the author is very good at explaining things.

3. Sylvia
    March 17, 2010 at 11:10 am

What a lovely baby blanket. the colours are gorgeous

4. March 17, 2010 at 11:33 am

thanks so much Sylvia!

5. MaryKay Gilbert
    March 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I made a similar baby afghan before my first son was born almost 25 yrs ago, but never used it as it was so pretty and I only had boys! Hope I can find it before having grandbabies! Mine was even more complicated…the alternating colored shell rows overlapped white rows in between.

6. March 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm

sounds lovely Mary Kay…what colors did you use?

7. Carolina
    March 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Thank you soo much Melissa! I have the book! How exciting! Heading upstairs to find it, right this minute.

How many skeins of Bernat Softee did you used? And what the dimensions of this cutie, Jummy, Gorgeous, lovely blanket are? Did you calculated a formula, i.e multiple of something + someting?

My dear friend is having a baby girl in a couple of months, and I would love to make one just like it for her! I Love your blog! I bookmarked as one of my favorites. I can’t wait to see the other blanket you’re planning with the same pattern. You’re a very talented crocheter!
    Thanks again,
    Carolina.

8. March 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I know I bought 2 of each of the colors, but didn’t use all of the yarn. I ended up making a little cardigan sweater using the rest of the pink…I’ll post pictures sometime soon. 🙂 I wish I had the blanket here so I could measure it…if I had to guess, I’d say it’s about 3 and a half feet square.

Thanks so much for the compliments…that’s very sweet of you

Happy crocheting,
    Melissa

9. Carolina
    March 18, 2010 at 12:55 am

Thank you soo much for sharing the info with me! I’ll buy two of each color too. I’ts better to have some left than run short. I love Debbie Stoller books too! Now she has a line of yarn, they are very pretty colors.
    You’re welcome, you are a crochet artist! Please keep posting as you finish your projects, you’re a great inspiration for other crocheters and knitters! I bet the little cardigan is soo pretty too!
    Happy crocheting to you too Melissa, and thank you so much again!
    Carolina

10. Carolina
    March 18, 2010 at 1:38 am

Hi again Melissa, I found it on page 57 of the “Happy Hooker” the picture shows three or 4 different colors. She explains that it is beautiful even in just one color, but I’m hooked on yours, and I would like to ask you, did you changed color every row. I mean, let’s say if you finished with one row of yellow and the following color was white did you cut the yarn at the end of the yellow row, then attached the white yarn, and at what point, to start the ch3 of the new row? What can of yarn joining method did you use a square slip knot, or something else?
    Thanks again! Sorry for so many questions, I’m heading to buy the yarn tomorrow, and starting the afghan right away!
    I had this book and never look closely how pretty this fan stitch is.
    Thank you so very much!
    Carolina

11. March 18, 2010 at 7:58 am

Well good morning Carolina,
    I changed the color for every row by cutting the yarn, making a regular knot, and leaving a tail that could be woven in later…so to answer your question, if I finished with one row of yellow, and the following color was white, I cut the yarn at the end of the yellow row, tied the white yarn on and chained three with the white.

Something else that might help…when I decided the blanket was done, I made sure to finish with a row of white which created a scallop on that end…after I wove in all the ends (there were a bunch) I finished off the blanket by making a white fan stitch border all the way around. It really made the blanket look nice.

You are most welcome! I’m flattered that you like the blanket so much. Please let me know how yours turns out, and if you have any more questions along the way, don’t hesitate to ask.

🙂

12. Carolina
    March 18, 2010 at 8:49 am

Good moning Melissa!
    Thank you for answering my many questions. You’re so sweet.
    I love this blanket so much, to me is really an heirloom that it will grow with the baby, and she will keep it later on with many beautiful memories.

Let’s see if I understand correctly…when you made sure your blanket was done, you finished the last row in white…which created like you said a scallop on that end. (then you took care of all the tails by weaving them)

Now, we have a white row at the end (last row)… Does this last row counts as one side ( of the finished white fan stitch border) of the 4 sides of the blankie? Or besides this last row of white, you went around 4 times?

The white fan stitch border, is it the same pattern you used to build the blanket?

Thanks soo much in advance Melissa!!

P.S.
    Something special about this blanket: I love this blanket also, because my only child now he’s 13, his great grandma which passed away 7 yrs ago (years ago made many similar ones, I think 12, knowing that her grandchildren one day will have babies, and by that time her vision wasn’t going to help her crochet) Well, my baby was her first great grand child, and to this day he has the blanket which as a toddler he named Barrus. I asked him why he still keeps the blanket close to him, he tells me it makes him feel close to his nanaGreat!

Your beautiful blanket it is the closest pattern that I have found to Barrus. Besides, it is extremely pretty! Nanagreat didn’t have a pattern, she had it in her head my husband tells me.
    She was the sweetest Greatgrandma and I do too miss her alot as well.

I will have my husband take pics of Barrus, (I’m not very good at digital photography and uploading them in my computer) so you can see how much they look alike. My boy had his (Barrus) in a varigated baby blue and white.

When I was pregnant, Nanagreat opened a cedar chest, and let my husband and I choose the one that later was going to be named “Barrus.” Then the first Grandbaby girl was born about 2 yrs later and she had the one with the alternating colors like yours (which I loved soo much, but I didn’t have a baby girl)
    Please feel free to email anytime mycarolina@rcn.com I truly appreciate all your help and your answers to my questions.

Take care,
    carolina

13. March 18, 2010 at 9:01 am

The last row counts as one side, and you use the same stitch you used to build the blanket.

I love the story about Barrus. So, so sweet!

XO

14. Carolina Perez
    March 18, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Great! So after my last row of white, I just have 3 more white rows to go, so it’s all around the 4 sides of the blanket.

Thanks so much Melissa! You’re a sweetheart!
    It really means alot to me all your help!

Hugs,
    Carolina

15. March 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm

you got it!

have a beautiful weekend girlfriend 🙂

xo

16. Carolina Perez
    March 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm

You too Melissa !:)
    I’m going to buy the yarn in about an hour, then I will start crocheting this cutie pie blankie! I’m soo excited!

Hugs

17. Carolina Perez
    March 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Melissa,
    I just discovered your two books. Going to Amazon to buy them. I have to have them! I love books, have lots and lots, at the point that DH sometimes says he’ll move out so I can have more space for more books! LOL! (he’s kidding) I also live in a truly victorian house, 120 yrs old with a lot of charm, and also challenges…lol!

Love
    Carolina

18. March 18, 2010 at 4:09 pm

LOL…books are so addictive. I have waaaaayyyy too many! I just went through a bunch and decided that I really don’t need decorating books for “country” style anymore…since um, 1987 or so hee hee…so I’m lugging them up to my friend’s used book store where she lets me trade (quite the arrangement!) My husband teases me about magazines. I think he’s right. If I accumulate any more the house may start sinking 🙂

I’ve been on the computer writing all day and I’m starting to see double.

I’m so pleased that you ordered my two books! If they aren’t signed I’d be happy to sign them if ya want to send them to me. I’ll take care of the return postage.

I’m seriously leaving the study now. For real. LOL

xo

19. Carolina
    March 19, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Have a wonderful weekend Melissa! And thank you for the offer of signing my books, I’ll keep it in mind, if they aren’t signed when I recieve them.
    Happy crocheting!
    Carolina

20. chantelle
    May 2, 2011 at 7:49 am

I LOVE this blanket! Soooooo pretty! I can’t wait until I can find the time to actually sit down and knit! Every time I try, the kiddos need something. LOL – Patience. I must have patience. Once I have time, I will have to have to teach me to crochet! 🙂

May 2, 2011 at 9:06 am