blackberry syrup

~ blackberry syrup ~

The blackberry branches in our back yard are heavy with this dark wine-colored fruit. The perfect berries for scones, pancakes, buttermilk cake, and this beautiful syrup. Use it on ice cream sundaes, waffles, yogurt parfaits, or spoon some into a glass before pouring in freshly brewed iced tea. Add some to your smoothies, milkshakes and Italian sodas!

1/4 cup sugar

juice of one large lemon

1/2 cup water

2 cups fresh blackberries, carefully washed

Place sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Place washed blackberries in the bowl of your food processor. Pour the hot syrup over the top. Puree until smooth. Strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve if you don’t like the seeds.

15 comments for “blackberry syrup

1. KC Quaretti
    July 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm

OMG Melissa, this is spectacular. I’ve been doing almost the same for years with strawberries. Hugs!, KC

July 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi Kc! 🙂 such a great way to use up an abundance of berries. we can’t seem to eat them fast enough! xoxo

2. July 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Yowee, this looks AMAZING! Thanks so much for sharing!

Jessie

July 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thanks Jessie! enjoy! 🙂

3. July 13, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I made some last week and used it this morning to feed my two year old twin grandchildren who spent the night. They loved Nana’s blackberry syrup and their buttermilk pancakes this morning!

July 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

one of my favorite ways to eat this too, Jackie! mmmmmm….buttermilk pancakes. you’re making me hungry! 🙂

4. July 15, 2012 at 10:36 am

Melissa! Just freakin’ awesome…and so simple…luv luv…the picture is gorgeous!! xo Ally

July 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm

XOXOXO Ally! thanks so much!

July 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thanks so much Ally! xoxoxo 🙂

5. August 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I have an abundance of blackberries that my husband is more than willing to pick for me. Delicious but you can only use so many at once. I am looking for a recipe for blackberry syrup that I could process and have for winter months over pancakes etc. I have already made jam and jelly.

August 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I’m pretty sure you could can this. I don’t do any home canning, so I wouldn’t know 🙂 have fun with those blackberries!

6. May 5, 2013 at 11:24 am

Just made it this morning! This was SOOO GOOD, my 3yr old was licking the bowl! You’ll definitely want to strain the seeds, there’s more than you think! And I will be canning this in the summer! This would be so good as a salad dressing, with chocolate, blackberry shortcakes…pancakes! So many possibilities, and so easy to make!

May 5, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hello, Lovely! thanks so much for visiting! I am so pleased that you enjoyed the recipe 🙂 XO

7. April 24, 2015 at 8:06 am

Is it possible to make jam or preserves from canned fruit? I have some Oregon brand cans of boysenberrys and my husband is craving some jam. We buy the fruit at Amazon and I make him pies with it. The cans are mostly juice and pretty mushy berries so it takes a lot of cans to get a pie.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

8. Patsy Smith
    August 20, 2017 at 10:43 am

This looks great! I love blackberry preserves. This is a great happy for Christmas gifts!!