Originally published in my second book, “Welcome Home,” this is the way to transform your home into a girlfriend’s spa getaway for the weekend. Treat your friends and yourself to these luxurious indulgences.
- Purchase spa products by Crabtree and Evelyn, Caswell Massey, Philosophy, Origins OR make your own.
- Clear out your living room or family room, rent or purchase yoga DVDs, and take a fitness”class.”
- Create spa gift baskets for your guests. Include: mesh sponges, pumice stones, fun nail polishes, lipsticks, magazines, and bottles of Perrier or Evian.
- Light naturally scented candles everywhere (Aveda makes some that are scented with all natural ingredients and essential oils.)
- Give each other pedicures, manicures, facials, and massages, or hire a professional massage therapist who will make home visits.
- Watch “chick flicks” such as Because I Said So, Marie Antoinette, or The Holiday, and eat popcorn sprinkled with a little parmesan cheese.
- Set up your CD player and play relaxing spa music. I like anything by Enya, Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, and “White Stones” by Secret Garden.
- Make sure everyone brings comfy jammies, slippers and robes.
- Serve Grand Wailea cucumber spa water, flavorful salads, whole grain crackers, hummus or any of your favorite, nutritious dishes.
~ Grand Wailea Cucumber Spa Water ~
1/2 gallon purified or still spring water
3 or 4 thin slices cucumber (unpeeled)
2 thin slices lemon (optional)
Place everything in a glass container with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate for 12 hours. Serve.
“Most of us dream of being the perfect hostess. this means being well organized far enough ahead of time to allow for a hot bath, a short rest, and time to put on a pretty frock and spray yourself with White Lilac. This never, never happens to me.” 🙂
-Gladys Taber “Stillmeadow Cookbook” 1947