coddled eggs

~ coddled eggs ~

Confession…I first wanted to try this style of egg based solely on the name. What sounds cuter than a coddled egg? But then I tried one and fell in love. They’re delicate, and an especially elegant way to serve eggs for a brunch or a breakfast tea. Don’t be tempted to overcook them. They’re done even when they don’t look done. If you cook them for 6 minutes they’ll be very soft…cook 7 to 8 minutes for a firmer egg. It may take a couple tries…but take my word for it, 10 minutes is too long.

To make coddled eggs, you’ll need:

egg coddlers…

Start a small saucepan of water boiling, and butter the insides of the cups…

gently crack a large egg into each, taking special care to not break the yolk…

sprinkle salt and pepper on top…

gently twist covers onto coddlers, being careful not to twist them on too tight…never twist the covers by the rings.

Place them in the boiling water. The water should come half way up the sides.

Boil for 6-8 minutes. Gently lift out of the water using the ring, and using a towel to protect your hands, gently twist the cover off.

Serve with your favorite breakfast treats!

14 comments for “coddled eggs

1. April 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Sounds delightful! I’ve always wondered what coddled eggs were.

April 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi Allison! Have fun with this recipe! xo

2. Lynne
    April 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm

My daughter made them for her siblings when they all came to visit last week. She added a bit of proscuitto, some cheese, chives and a few capers, they are all converted & now looking to buy egg coddlers for their own kitchens 🙂

April 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Lynne, thanks for reminding me! I was going to add that to my post. Feel free to experiment with fun ingredients, and adjust cooking time accordingly 🙂 xo

3. April 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Melissa! I LOVE coddled eggs… 🙂

April 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm

They’re soooo good! thanks for commenting my sweet friend!

4. April 2, 2012 at 2:54 am

Ha, I had no idea what a coddled egg was – so it’s kind of like boiling an egg but in a pot instead of the shell? Is it very different? I’m very curious as to what it’s like – bet it’s great to dip some toast points inside! 😀

April 2, 2012 at 6:42 am

It is quite a bit like a soft boiled egg…or hard boiled if you let it go too long. 🙂 I like the “Coddler” because it seems a little more “fancy” and contains all of the drippings instead of being all over a plate. Yes! perfect for toast points! They’re also neat because you can add a little fresh, chopped herbs, bacon, chives and other seasonings if you wish. They’re fun to experiment with.

5. April 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

I want egg coddlers! Aaaaand now I’m going to have to call in sick to work to start the search…

April 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

hee hee 🙂 have fun Movita! xoxo

6. April 3, 2012 at 8:51 am

Where does a person find an egg coddler? They look so clever!

April 3, 2012 at 9:08 am

Hi Ann! 🙂 You can get egg coddlers on Amazon.

7. June 14, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’ve never even heard of coddled eggs! Fun! Love the egg coddlers too. How warm and cozy. I love me some eggs so I think I’m gonna have to try this recipe! Have a great day, Melissa!

June 15, 2012 at 5:45 am

Hi Melissa! Enjoy the coddled eggs! they really are fun. I like to add a little bit of fresh chives and bacon to mine 🙂 xo