dollywood cinnamon bread {copycat}

One of the things on my “bucket list” is to visit the Dollywood Theme Park in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. I’ve been a fan of Dolly Parton ever since I was about 8 years old, so naturally I have to see this park at some point.

While doing a little research into places we could possibly take a road trip this summer, I looked up Dollywood online. While reading, I came across a recipe for the famous Dollywood Cinnamon Bread! I just knew I had to make some!

It turns out this recipe is very easy if you use pre-made, frozen bread dough which can be found in the freezer section at most grocery stores. Just allow the dough to come to room temperature and then rise until doubled in size which takes anywhere fro 4 to 7 hours. You could leave the dough on the counter overnight, and in the morning it will be ready. Bake some Dollywood Cinnamon Bread to go with your cup of morning coffee!

Once dough is thawed and doubled in size, just follow this easy recipe. You won’t believe how easy and delicious this bread is, and it makes your whole house smell amazing as it bakes!

serves 8 to 16

~ preheat oven to 300 degrees F. ~

for the bread:

2 loaves Rhode’s frozen bread dough, thawed and risen

1 and 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup  cinnamon

2 sticks of melted butter

Line two 8x4x2 inch loaf pans with cooking parchment, or spray with Baker’s Joy.

Once dough is ready (thawed and doubled in size), using a very sharp knife, cut 4, deep crosswise slits across the top of the loaves, approximately 1 inch apart. Be careful not to cut all the way through the loaves.

Melt butter in a shallow bowl or pan. Mix cinnamon or sugar together in a separate bowl or pan.

Dredge each loaf, one at a time, in the melted butter, and then in the cinnamon and sugar mixture, making sure to get it in the grooves you made with the knife. Transfer loaves to prepared pans. Place pans on top of the preheating oven and allow bread to rise again for 45 to 60 minutes, or until doubled in size. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, turning loaves half way through baking time so they evenly cook and brown. Loaves are done when they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.

Remove from pans and place on cake plates. Pull parchment away from loaves. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before drizzling with the glaze.

for the glaze:

3 cups powdered sugar

juice from two lemons

Whisk powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice together in a bowl until smooth. Generously drizzle over loaves.

31 comments for “dollywood cinnamon bread {copycat}

1. Brenda Shettler
    May 12, 2017 at 11:45 am

yummmmmmmmmmmmm

2. Debbie
    May 17, 2017 at 4:41 pm

After the dough rises and you cut the slits, you remove it from the pan to dredge it? If you handle the dough, doesn’t it fall and you have to let it rise again?

May 19, 2017 at 1:30 pm

You let the dough rise on a flat surface the first time. Then you cut the slits. Then you dredge in butter and coat with the cinnamon and sugar… then, you put it in the pans and allow it to rise again.

• Debbie
      June 23, 2017 at 4:21 pm

What do I put in the bowl to get it all started thank you so much I would love to make so load of bread with icing on it

3. Teena
    May 29, 2017 at 4:03 am

Can you make your own bread dough as this is obviously an American recipe and we can’t buy frozen bread dough here in Perth Western Australia

May 30, 2017 at 9:24 am

You can absolutely use homemade bread dough. I make this with frozen bread dough mostly for convenience, and there’s not much difference in flavor. Rhode’s is a high quality, frozen bread dough. Thanks so much for stopping by. ~M

4. Amy D.
    May 31, 2017 at 1:03 am

Can you substitute the lemon juice to make other flavored glazes? Like vanilla, chocolate, almond?

• Pamela Urello
      June 4, 2017 at 8:56 am

What do you mean by turning the loaves. Im confused. Are you saying you actually turn the half baked hot bread over in the pan?

June 5, 2017 at 5:30 pm

You just turn the loaf pans around and put them back in the oven so the loaves bake evenly. You don’t remove the loaves from the pans. Hope that helps!

5. Bev Christian
    June 19, 2017 at 7:05 am

We have a wall oven so I am concerned just leaving the loaf pans on the counter top would not give them the heat needed to rise. Have you tried this not having the stove top? This sounds delish but I have never had good luck with breads raising. Oh, I hope you can get to Dollywood some day. We live 15 miles from there & have never been.

June 19, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Hi Bev,
      My advice would be to let the dough rise in a warm spot in your kitchen. I’m not exactly sure what a wall oven is? I’ve always had great success with this easy recipe. ~M

• steve
        July 18, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Mellissa when you have a cook top or a range top, you have a oven or double oven placed in a cabinet copy the link below, my question is what does a wall oven have to do with anything, good lord woman place the bread in a warm spot, and when you say turn the pans what is hard about that?? people turn the pan in the oven unless you have convention and you don’t have to do that, lets see how many more dumb questions you can come up with people
        steve

• Karen
          August 11, 2017 at 7:42 pm

I think you mean convection Steve not convention

• Gail
            August 28, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Good one, Karen!
            Now if we could just get someone to delete Steve’s rude remarks.
            Your recipe looks delicious, Melissa! I’m anxious to try it.

• Diane
        August 24, 2017 at 5:56 pm

How do u post recipes on line and give advice when u don’t know what a wall oven is! Go to Home Depot or Lowes and go into their kitchen section and see what a wall oven is.

August 26, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Diane,
          Are you talking to me?

• Robert
      September 7, 2017 at 3:50 pm

I always rise bread in a warm oven. Turn on a cold oven for 1 minute then turn off. Put bread in until doubled. I always proof yeast in 115 degree water. 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp sugar. The sugar will not affect the bread. You can use flour instead of sugar. Tho oven temp should be 110 to120 degrees.

6. Shirley
    June 22, 2017 at 6:31 pm

I would slice the dough and layer it in a loaf pan with the cinnamon sugar mixture in between to make a Pull-A-Part bread. Yum!

7. Marg Girard
    June 23, 2017 at 9:43 am

On coo days I just put my dough in the ove with the oven ight on….I find y dough rises much faster thus way…

8. Jan
    June 23, 2017 at 5:53 pm

I have a cool house, so sometimes I raise dough inside the oven. Heat it to warm ( turn off heat) and put dough in. I aways put a cake pan with water in it in the oven too, so bread won’t dry out.

• Tracy Johnson
      June 26, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Thanks for that info!

• Lunette
      June 26, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Jan This sounds like a much better idea than “preheating oven for the 45 – 60 min” it should take to double in size. I’m thinking seriously about trying this recipe if I can purchase frozen bread dough—- sounds yummy!!!

9. Becky
    July 7, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Oh my
    Goodness, Bless Your Hearts..

• steve
      July 18, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Becky, can these people find there way out of paper bag

10. Lindz
    July 9, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Where can I purchase the bread dough? Also is there a certain size to get?

July 10, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Hello, Lindz!
      I get the bread dough in the freezer section at my grocery store. It’s “Rhode’s” brand, and each loaf is 1 lb. Hope that helps! ~M 🙂

11. Steve
    July 18, 2017 at 2:47 pm

so do I have to ,move off the sofa to make this? do I have to go to the store to buy what is needed, can I eat the bread when it is still in the oven? do I have to turn the oven on to cook it, what should I wear when I make this, did you like Maryann or Ginger on Gilligan Islands, thanks

12. Lori
    August 2, 2017 at 7:36 am

We live in Sevier County and have Dollywood season passes. We go every weekend and smell the bread and always comment on how good it smells but we have never bought it. My 18 year old asked this past weekend if we can get it this coming weekend. I am going to make this recipe this week for him and surprise him with it. Thanks for the recipe!!

August 2, 2017 at 8:56 am

Yay!!! Enjoy, Lori! 🙂

13. Nancy
    September 7, 2017 at 8:15 am

As someone who have never had good luck with bread, I appreciate all the questions and answers. Most recipes assume we are at least slightly familiar with bread baking. Hints and explanations of terms are wonderful for getting the best results. Thank you. I want to try this myself.