greek salad

greeksalad-DSC_0053

I thought after posting the carby sugary post that I shared yesterday, it would only be right to share something healthy and veggie-laden today.

This is one of the easiest, yummiest salads in my repertoire. Sometimes I make it as a side salad, and sometimes I top it with grilled chicken strips and make it the main event.

for 4 BIG salads:

8 cups mixed spring greens, lamb’s lettuce leaves or baby spinach

1 cup grape tomatoes

1 cup coarse chopped bell pepper (this time I used orange and yellow)

6 oz. greek olives (drained)

1 cucumber, cubed

1/3 cup feta chopped and rolled in Italian herbs

1 thick slice purple onion, chopped fine

big croutons (homemade are best!)

4 grilled, boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips (optional)

for the dressing:

1/2 cup unfiltered extra virgin olive oil

4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar

juice of one large lemon

2 teaspoons lemon zest

1 large garlic clove, minced

2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Combine all salad ingredients in a big salad bowl until all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Place all of the dressing ingredients in a canning jar and shake well until thoroughly mixed. Pour all of the dressing over the salad. Mix well. Sprinkle salad with coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

10 comments for “greek salad

1. Joan
    April 7, 2013 at 9:44 am

Great salad the family loved it. Would definitely make it again, fact making it this weekend for another family event. Always looking for a great salad recipes. Thanks…..

April 8, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hi Joan! I’m so pleased you like the greek salad 🙂 definitely a favorite around here too…so pretty, yummy and healthy! Thanks for visiting!

2. Jacqueline Howard
    May 27, 2013 at 8:21 am

Thank you for your beautiful recipe:) perfect for tonight. Xx

May 27, 2013 at 8:32 am

My pleasure, Jacqueline! Thanks for visiting! enjoy! 🙂

3. Stephanie Chester
    June 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Awesome Salad! Had a good time spending quality time with my 13 year old as we topped the veggies together and talked. Had an even better time eating it! All my kids loved it!

June 1, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Hi Stephanie! So happy you and your kids liked the recipe! thanks for visiting and letting me know 🙂 xo

4. Judy
    August 6, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I look at your picture of this salad I see herbs.. not listed, so I’m guessing oregano or thyme?

August 7, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Hi Judy! In the recipe I just said “Italian herbs”… which is usually a combination of oregano, basil, marjoram, and parsley 🙂 Hope that helps! ~M

5. Ruth Cobb
    August 12, 2016 at 9:52 am

Hi Melissa. Making this weekend for an Izaak Walton League family picnic. Tables loaded with wonderful, grilled chicken. can’t wait

August 12, 2016 at 2:38 pm