baked apples & cream

bakedapples-DSC_0019

I spent most of the day writing, and am just now surfacing to write a blog post to share with all of you. Sometimes it’s hard to switch gears after a day of intense creativity, know what I mean?

I made these delicious baked apples with cream last week as a side dish for a new pork roast recipe I invented. They turned out perfect. Jeff likes them when the “caramel” gets almost burnt. To achieve that, just let them go longer and continue to baste them with the brown sugar/butter mixture until it turns thick, sticky and black. Scrape as much as you can over the apples and serve warm with cream poured over the top….

or…you can make them this way…

3 to 4 medium size apples, unpeeled and cored

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

cream

Place apples in a small, glass baking dish. Stuff each apple with a little of the butter and brown sugar and place the rest of the butter and brown sugar around the apples. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and bake at 375 degrees F. until the apples are very soft, and the skins are wrinkled. Roll the apples around in the sauce to coat a few times during baking. Remove the apples to little serving bowls and place the sauce in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced and sticky like caramel. Pour a little of the sauce over each apple and top with cream.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

8 comments for “baked apples & cream

1. October 2, 2013 at 10:23 am

I I want to try these. They look delicious. Can you please tell me for how long did you approximately bake them for just to have a ball park figure. Thanks.

October 2, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hello! I would say about an hour 🙂 thanks for stopping by and for commenting!

2. October 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for replying Melissa.
    I follow Chindeep on facebook too. Keep up the great work.
    I will let you know when I try these.

October 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Hi there! thanks for visiting! enjoy 🙂 xoxo ~M

3. Ruth Cobb
    October 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Could these be peeled? My brother is allergic to fruit skins or most likely the sap on the skins. His eyes will swell enough to almost lay on his cheeks, his throat will swell and he gets hives, so I have to be careful. This looks so good though so I want to ask you.

October 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I’ve never tried peeling an apple before baking it…It seems like they would dry out. :/ thanks for stopping by, Ruth. Please let me know if the peeled version of this recipe is successful. 🙂

4. Abby
    January 6, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Baked apples my kids favorite I’ve only ever done them peeled I add a bit of water to the pan and stir once in a while. Doesn’t dry out. I chop them up in large chunks.

January 7, 2014 at 8:08 pm