bacon jam

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

There was this whole “bacon jam” frenzy a couple years ago that I completely missed. I planned on buying jars of  this ambrosia for my many bacon-loving friends but that never actually happened. I recently came across a very old post-it to myself  while perusing my blog files that simply said “bacon jam” on it. I decided to look up a few recipes and then, in the end completely change them to make something uniquely MINE called bacon jam. Well, here it is!

1 and 1/2 lb applewood smoked bacon

1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard

2/3 cup strong brewed coffee

1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar

1 shot bourbon

3 Tablespoons maple syrup

2 Tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce

salt and pepper to taste

Render bacon in a large, heavy skillet on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Remove meat with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but 2 Tablespoons of the bacon grease. Add butter to skillet. Melt while scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Add onion, and sugar. Stir and cook over medim-low heat for 15 minutes. Add garlic, dark corn syrup and all spices. Cook for 5 more minutes, watching carefully and stirring so the mixture doesn’t burn. Add coffee, vinegar, bourbon, maple syrup, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until evenly combined. Add bacon back to skillet. Cook on low heat, uncovered for one hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Cool for 20 minutes. Pour into a food processor and pulse until consistently chunky. Cool and skim off the fat. Spoon into a one pint canning jar, and cover tightly. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. You may need to let the portion of bacon jam that you’d like to use for your recipe set out at room temperature for 15 minutes before using to make it more spreadable.

Lovely in place of bacon on a BLT, drizzled over your breakfast eggs, add a spoonful to your pancake batter, as a chutney or make a peanut butter and bacon jam panini!

13 comments for “bacon jam

1. Karen Toocheck
    September 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm

WOW! This sounds crazy delicious Melissa! Do you know how long it will store for? Could I can this in a pressure-canner and store at room temperature?

September 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m not sure, Karen :) Never tried it. I would assume that would work, but don’t take my word for it…it seems you would can it as you would other meats? hmmmm….I do know that it will keep in your fridge for 10 days. XO, and thanks for stopping by! enjoy.

• Shana
      May 18, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Of course you could! We can meats and use the pressure-canner(cooker) no different. Now wondering if you even need to pressure, as bacon is bought cooked and ready to go right off the store shelf.

May 22, 2014 at 7:50 am

I’m not sure, Shana :) I’ve never tried canning this. Please, if you try, send the directions my way and I’ll post them. Thanks so much for visiting! XO

2. Lynda
    September 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Sounds really good. I think I might use it as a quick hors’dourve on cream cheese with crackers.

September 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Lynda! It’s so yummy. It would be perfect with cheese and crackers! also, I just posted a recipe for little BLT bruschettas using the jam. Easy and delish! xo

3. September 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I was going to ask the same question about keeping time. When I used to make chutney, I would make for the whole year, but the addition of bacon would mean that’s not possible I guess?
    Perhaps an alternative would be to make small batches by mixing rendered bacon into a portion of your favourite chutney or chilli jam? I guess I’ll just have to try it out for myself ; )
    Thanks for sharing.

September 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

enjoy Vonnie! thanks for visiting :)

4. Kris
    September 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’m so excited to try this recipe. I have to change the dark corn syrup though because of family issues with corn syrup. My thought is wouldn’t molasses work?? I have a day off soon and can’t wait to try it :)

October 1, 2012 at 4:02 am

Hi Kris! I’m pretty sure you could use molasses, Lyle’s golden syrup, or honey in place of the corn syrup…or even brown sugar! :) enjoy!