vanilla buttermilk pancakes

My friend Ann has been participating in an A to Z recipe challenge and asking her facebook peeps to share their recipes for the respective letter every day too. Yesterday was “V for Vanilla” and I was SO surprised that I hardly have any posts on my blog featuring vanilla. I shared my recipe for one of our favorite spicy summer beverages, Horchata, which showcases Mexican vanilla … and I shared my sister Robin’s recipe for Luna salad which is topped with these dreamy vanilla candied almonds. But other than that…I really couldn’t think of any other recipes I could share. What is your favorite recipe featuring vanilla?

This morning my daughter Gracie asked if we could have pancakes for breakfast…and I thought, “Why not add a few teaspoons of vanilla to my favorite buttermilk pancake recipe?” Well, let me just tell you…it revolutionized these pancakes. Light and fluffy and scented with delicious vanilla. mmmmmm…. sooooo good!

3 cups all-purpose flour

3 Tablespoons white sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 scant teaspoon salt

3 cups buttermilk

3 large eggs

1/3 cup melted butter

3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately. Heat griddle to medium-high. When the griddle is the right temperature, combine the wet and dry ingredients together just until evenly incorporated. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to measure my pancake batter. Pour into griddle. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve with butter, powdered sugar and hot, pure maple syrup!

24 comments for “vanilla buttermilk pancakes

1. August 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm

These sound delicious! I realized I needed more vanilla recipes on my blog too! 🙂

August 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm

thanks Sheena 🙂 xoxo

2. August 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm

What beautiful pancakes! I’ve never tried vanilla in mine before either but I’m definitely going to give it a go next time.

August 30, 2012 at 9:37 pm

thanks Maureen! yeah, a simple addition, but it really makes a big difference in the flavor. thanks for visiting!

3. Sarah
    October 27, 2012 at 8:55 am

Made these this morning & they are by far the best pancakes I have ever made!! Thank you so much for a delicious recipe!!!!

October 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

YAY! so glad you liked them Sarah! 🙂 xo

4. Kathy
    December 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I’ve always added vanilla and cinnamon to pancake mix every time I make them. So yummy!

December 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm

ohhhh! awesome Kathy! i like a little nutmeg myself 🙂 thanks for visiting!

5. Becky
    February 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I’m a pancake FREAK!!! I can’t wait to try these. Thank-you so much for sharing this recipe!

February 23, 2013 at 7:41 am

Hi Becky! Hope you love them! they’re our favorite! 🙂 thanks for visiting!

6. February 22, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I whipped up the batter tonight so that I can have them in the morning as I tend to rise before my husband and don’t want to wake him with the beaters going. I had the most delicious pancakes when I lived in CT at Georgie’s Diner in West Haven and I’m hoping these mimic the flavor. Otherwise it’s my usual Saturday morning pancakes from Fiber One with light butter and light syrup. Tomorrow I indulge in real flavors. 🙂

February 23, 2013 at 7:41 am

Awesome, Niki1 I hope you love them as much as we do! I’ve never tried making the batter the night before, let me know how that works for you 🙂 enjoy!

7. June 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Tried this recipe this morning, loved it. Thank you for sharing, now my go-to pancake recipe. I love that the recipe makes enough to feed my family of seven, normally I have to double recipes.

June 15, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Hi Crystal! I’m so glad you like the recipe! yes, it does make a big batch 🙂 thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment!

8. Ruth Cobb
    August 22, 2013 at 8:31 am

I always add vanilla to homemade pancakes or even the box mixes. It just adds a nice flavor to an otherwise pretty bland pancake. I also sprinkle some cinnamon on top.

9. Pingback: Breakfast Ideas
  10. Virginia
    February 6, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Two thing happen where I live:
    1) pancakes don’t exist. we call “panqueques” to a thinner kind of mix, like creppes.
    2) buttermilk doesn’t exist (I don’t really know what it is)

can I replace the buttermilk with regular milk? do I have to change the proportions or add something else?

February 6, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Hi Virginia 🙂 You can add a little lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk to make an excellent buttermilk substitute. (About 1 Tablespoon juice or vinegar per cup of milk will work.)

11. Kendra
    July 8, 2014 at 8:37 am

I can’t wait to try this! Do you think I could premix the wet ingredients and have it mixed for a couple days for a camping trip?

July 10, 2014 at 2:51 pm

That sounds like it would work to me, Kendra! Just keep it cold and give it a good shake before frying 🙂 Enjoy!

12. Susan
    May 25, 2015 at 10:16 am

I just made these pancakes this morning and they were delicious! I used homemade vanilla made with Wild Turkey and they were the best pancakes I have ever had. Thank you for sharing this recipe.