grilled salmon BLT

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

~ grilled salmon BLT ~

There’s just something about a BLT in the summer, wouldn’t you agree? We usually make them “wrap” style…or breakfast style…and it got me thinking about one I had tried at a restaurant when we were on vacation in Florida a few years ago. It was served on a crusty, chewy ciabatta roll and topped with a grilled piece of fresh salmon. Our version of this sandwich turned out fantastic…with the addition of a very special rub on the salmon, Parmesan mayonnaise, avocado and onions. YUM!  If you’re a salmon fan, I think you’re going to love this!

buttered and grilled ciabatta rolls (we used multi grain)

baby spinach/arugula mix or iceberg lettuce

thinly sliced Roma tomatoes

mayonnaise mixed with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped basil

fresh, spice-rubbed, wild salmon fillets

applewood smoked bacon, fried crispy

avocado slices

thinly sliced onion

for the salmon rub:

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 Tablespoons smoked paprika

2 Tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ginger

1 Tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon cumin

2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1 Tablespoon coarse sea salt

Blot salmon fillets dry and apply spice rub all over. Grill over charcoal. Remove to a tray and cover with aluminum foil. Grill the buttered ciabatta rolls until just toasted. Top with the Parmesan mayo, salmon fillets, avocado slices, tomatoes, onion slices, lettuce and bacon. Enjoy with firecracker sweet potato wedges!

HEALTHY MAKEOVER: If you’d like to try a healthier, lighter version of the above recipe….simply substitute a whole grain sandwich thin for the roll, turkey bacon for the applewood bacon, and light mayonnaise in place of the fully loaded stuff. Still amazing! Enjoy!

17 comments for “grilled salmon BLT

1. June 14, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Every Friday, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday. This burger was recommended to me by Jenn from I’m Cookin’ in My Kitchen blog – and I’m so glad she introduced me to your blog. I’m featuring this post as part of the Friday roundup (with a link-back and attribution) and I hope you have no objections. It’s a pleasure following your creations…

June 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Hi there! Welcome to ChinDeep! Thanks so much for visiting my page, and I would be honored to share my recipes. Feel free to link back to as many as you like. I appreciate the interest. Best, ~Melissa

2. Pingback: Before It's News
  3. Ann
    June 23, 2012 at 9:51 am

Love the rub, love the whole combination….perfect meal for summer!

June 23, 2012 at 10:05 am

Thanks Ann! enjoy ;)

4. Bonner
    April 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm

How long do you grill the salmon, Melissa?

April 15, 2013 at 5:31 pm

that’s a bit of a tough one, Bonner….it depends on the thickness of your salmon. I cook mine over charcoal and check it after about 2 minutes and flip it…you cook salmon until just flaky. doesn’t take that long…watch closely :) xo, and thanks for stopping by!

• Bonner
        April 15, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I knew it might be tricky. Do you put the salmon on a hot grill for searing, as with tuna, or a fire with a medium ash, as with beef steaks or boned chicken breasts? My “rule” for cooking salmon, in parchment paper or aluminum foil, in a 350 degree oven is 10 minutes, per 1 inch of thickness. “Don’t want no dried out salmon!” Guess it’s gonna be trial and error, for my first attempt … that’s okay, though.

April 15, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I would say to sear it as you would tuna…I use sushi grade salmon and tuna…so, really it could be eaten raw ;) xo

May 6, 2013 at 8:54 am

thanks for the mention Party Craft’n Mommy ;) so happy you enjoyed the sandwiches! xoxo ~Melissa

5. lori
    May 20, 2014 at 1:07 pm

love your site

May 22, 2014 at 8:43 am

Thanks so much, Lori! I love comments like yours. They totally make my day. XO ~M