thousand island dressing

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

~ thousand island dressing ~

When we make reuben sandwiches  we always like to slather them with thousand island dressing. It totally makes the sandwich. What takes them and your everyday tossed salad to a whole new level is making the thousand island dressing yourself. I like my version because it’s not just creamy and sweet, it also tastes like fresh vegetables and offers a slightly spicy kick. Try it and see for yourself. I bet you’ll never go back to the store bought stuff again. PS…also a lovely topping for grilled burgers!

In the bowl of a blender, combine:

2/3 cup real mayonnaise

1/3 cup spicy-sweet chili sauce ( I use Mae Ploy) OR ketchup

6 bread and butter pickle chips

6 pimento stuffed green olives

2 Tablespoons chopped green pepper

2 chopped green onions

1 Tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce

1 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning

Zip in the blender, pulsing until evenly mixed and slightly chunky. Adjust seasonings. Transfer to a canning jar or cruet, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep in the fridge for up to a week.

17 comments for “thousand island dressing

1. Janet McGrandle
    April 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

what happens if you don,t have Sriracha hot sauce , can you use another hot sauce instead?????

April 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm

You sure can, Janet! Use your favorite! thanks for inquiring! xo

2. Mary Jo
    May 6, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I can’t wait to try your yummy dressings! Where did you find the beautiful lace topper on the thousand island dressing jar?

March 25, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Thanks, Mary Jo! I bought a set of glass toppers to keep bees and other stuff out of my beverages when we dine outside. :) Enjoy the recipes! XOXO

3. Danielle
    March 25, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Oooo, loving it! Gotta try and I love that you include veggies so that it’s infused with “real” food instead of just a gunky mayo-based dressing. Mmmm!

March 25, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Thanks, Danielle! Yes, this dressing is one of my favorites. I’m proud of it. It’s awesome on Reuben/Rachel sandwiches too! Enjoy! I agree… too many people throw ketchup or chili sauce in mayo and call it dressing. ;) XOXOXO

4. Cyndi
    March 25, 2014 at 6:35 pm

This sounds yummy… can’t wait to try it!

March 25, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hi Cyndi! Thanks for stopping by to comment :) Enjoy! XOXO

5. Sue
    March 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Where did you buy the glass toppers from?

March 25, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Hi Sue! I bought them at a tearoom where I use to work. They’re beaded wine glass covers. :) I’m sure you can purchase something similar online. Thanks for stopping by! XO

6. vickihampton@bellsouth.net
    March 25, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I so ♥ your Thousand Island Dressing Melissa as for the person who didn’t there is only one explanation…there is no accounting for taste ;)

March 25, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hi Vicki! I’m so pleased you like my recipe :) You’re so sweet! Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the dressing. XO

7. linda techlowec
    March 26, 2014 at 3:32 am

I so love all your recipes keep them coming!

March 26, 2014 at 7:07 am

Thanks so much for saying so, Linda :) You’re a sweetie. XOXO ~M

8. Holly
    March 29, 2014 at 9:53 pm

You know some people are just plain miserable and have to have something to complain about. There’s always one in a group haha! I love your recipes! Found you through my niece’s Facebook page. Let your haters be your motivators right?! ;D

March 29, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Hi Holly :)

Yes, you’re right. Some people are just miserable. I try to keep in mind that everyone is on a journey, including myself. I also try to remember that some people are miserable and sad because they have awful circumstances that are challenging them on their journey.

That being said, I can’t quite figure out what makes these sad individuals lash out at food bloggers. LOL :) Really, if I was sad about something I think the last thing I would think is, “Hey, let’s get online and terrorize people who take pretty photos of food and share their recipes for free!” Just sayin’…

So glad you visited me!

XO,

9. August 29, 2014 at 7:04 am

Ok now I see, I need to find a tea or wine room to buy the toppers. Guess I should have read the comments. :)

Sara