reubens

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

~ reubens ~

This classic sandwich is our “go-to” St. Patrick’s Day meal. Piles of flavorful corned beef, Polish-style sauerkraut, gooey swiss cheese, buttery toasted marble rye and plenty of creamy thousand island dressing for dipping. It has it all!

To make them, just line up the slices of bread the way you would for building grilled cheese sandwiches. Get your griddle hot, On the bottom slices of bread place a layer of thinly sliced swiss cheese, a generous layer of thinly shaved corned beef,Β another layer of thinly sliced swiss cheese and a layer of sauerkraut (blotted dry). Top with another slice of marble rye. Butter well, and grill slowly on a skillet or griddle so the bread doesn’t get too toasty before the inside of the sandwich is warm. Flip half way through cooking time. Don’t cover the sandwiches while they’re cooking or they’ll get soggy.

Serve with thousand island dressing and your favorite dark beer!

reuben2013-DSC_0029

11 comments for “reubens

1. April 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm

This looks delicious! I Would love to have you link up to my 2 carnivals today….http://www.aroundmyfamilytable.com/2012/04/feed-your-soul-5/ (anything food related) and http://everydaymomcakes.com/sugar-me-up-5/ (deserts only). Hope to see you around!

2. Melissa
    April 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I would love to! thanks so much for stopping by and for the invite. I’m so pleased you like the recipe πŸ™‚ xo

3. April 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Hi Melissa,
    The Reuben is one of our favorite sandwiches and your sandwich looks awesome and we would really enjoy it! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

April 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Miz Helen! So pleased you like the recipe πŸ™‚

4. August 26, 2013 at 11:48 am

Hi Melissa,
    Where can I find the recipe of this curly bread?
    Regards from Portugal
    Manuela

5. March 15, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hi Melissa, what a beautiful sandwich photo. You make me want to run up to the grocery and buy some marbled rye bread and all the fixings. Thank you so much for sharing! I pinned this to my St. Patrick’s Day recipe roundup. Have a great weekend!
    Ronda

March 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Hi Ronda! Thanks so much for the sweet compliment and for including my recipe in your roundup πŸ™‚ Much appreciated. XOXO and happy St. Pat’s weekend!

6. February 7, 2015 at 11:54 am

The photos are spectacular … I believe just as good as the food. Very artistic, you have great taste!

7. Debbie
    September 7, 2016 at 9:15 am

years ago in Seattle I worked ar a restaurant that introduced me to Reuben’s but they didn’t use thousand island dressing but Russian – that slightly sweet was perfect with the sauerkraut. I lick my lips just thinking about them. yum

September 7, 2016 at 10:43 am

Yum! Yes, I can imagine Russian dressing would be good with Reubens too. Thanks for commenting, Debbie! Maybe I’ll try that the next time I make them. πŸ˜‰