ghirardelli hot cocoa

~ ghirardelli hot cocoa ~

Hello my lovelies! Here’s the second surprise in this weeks line up of Valentine’s treats. Ghirardelli cocoa! There’s nothing quite like this rich, wonderful cocoa. 12 years ago Jeff and I visited San Francisco California and just had to stop in at Ghirardelli Square. We ate some lovely chocolate treats and purchased several cans of their cocoa to share with friends back in Minnesota.

I asked my facebook friends what the best additions to hot cocoa are, and I received lots of different, interesting responses. Among them were:  orange, coconut, cinnamon, red (cayenne) pepper, vanilla, peppermint schnapps, grand marnier, kahlua and whipped cream! My personal favorites are English toffee Torani syrup or Chambord (raspberry liqueur.)

To make Ghirardelli hot cocoa just follow the package directions, substituting milk for the water…or, another family favorite… homemade Hershy’s hot cocoa. Add your favorite embellishments and top with whipped cream, marshmallows and sprinkles!

10 comments for “ghirardelli hot cocoa

1. February 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I am still drooling the hot cocoa looks divine! I didn’t notice on facebook the marshmellows but that makes it all the better with the sprinkles! Your blog is lovely! Have a wonderful week!

February 9, 2012 at 9:25 pm

thanks for commenting! you have a wonderful week too! xoxo

2. Jennifer | Mother Thyme
    February 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I want some of this now! This looks delicious! I love hot cocoa and this looks decadent!

February 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm

thanks so much! xo

3. February 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Oh my! I love the color! So pretty 🙂 This is a wonderful idea!

February 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Thanks Anna!

4. February 10, 2012 at 7:09 am

All of the addition ideas for the hot chocolate sound fantastic, each with it’s own twist, but I think I’d also like the Chambord!

February 10, 2012 at 7:40 am

Hi Carrie! It really is good. LOVE the combination of chocolate and raspberry. 🙂 enjoy!

5. February 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Mmm, nice! I remember back in the day, when I was younger, my parents never had a microwave. Making hot chocolate or cocoa was a real performance which involved scrubbing a scabby milk pan at the end – it’s so easy now with microwaves. Beautiful photo Melissa!

February 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Hee hee, yes, the microwave is quite the invention. Although I do make the cocoa that needs to be made on the stovetop from time to time. Hershey’s cocoa is great made this way with whole milk and a little vanilla. Thanks so much for the compliment about the photo. Have a lovely weekend my friend! 🙂