maple granola with cranberries & toasted coconut

~ granola ~

“I went to a cafe that had a sign advertising ‘breakfast anytime,’ so I ordered French toast during the Renaissance.” ~Stephen Wright

Ready for some of the best granola you’ve ever had? Then you’ve come to the right place. This is everything granola should be. Super crunchy, just sweet enough, with the chewy tanginess of dried cranberries and the yummy finish of toasted coconut. We’re having this for breakfast this cold, snowy Minnesota morning. What’s in your cereal bowl?

preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

5 cups old fashioned rolled oats

3 cups coarsely chopped pecans

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup dark brown sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon dry ginger

2 teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon nutmeg

3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/3 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup clover honey

3 Tablespoons olive oil

6 oz. dried cranberries

2 and 1/2 cups toasted sweetened coconut

In a very large mixing bowl, mix oats, pecans, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg.

In a small saucepan, warm the applesauce, maple syrup, honey and oil. Combine the applesauce mixture with the dry mixture until completely incorporated and everything is evenly mixed. Divide the granola between two large jellyroll pans. Bake for 45-55 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until the granola is a deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely. Mix in dried cranberries and toasted coconut. Store in a large, airtight container. Keeps up to one month.

Happy breakfast to you!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

14 comments for “maple granola with cranberries & toasted coconut

1. February 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Beautiful looking granola Melissa – I love granola, it’s so crunchy and yummy, although I never used maple syrup before… it’s so expensive 🙁 I tried putting goji berries into the cooked granola last time… wouldn’t bother with that again… they’re a real waste of time when dried… they seem to have no flavour :/

February 4, 2012 at 10:39 pm

this turned out really good. my first try too! You could try substituting any sugary syrup for the maple and maybe use a little maple extract? or just use more honey. 🙂 sorry to hear that the goji berries didn’t work out. they seem like they’d be great in granola.

2. March 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’m making your granola this morning … it smells SO good cooking! I can’t wait to taste it 🙂

March 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

eee!!! I get so excited when people try my recipes 🙂 hope you love it! I’m going to try a new version of the same recipe this week with dried blueberries and orange honey. enjoy Ann!

3. March 5, 2012 at 11:54 am

You are making me soooooooo happy with this granola 🙂 I love yogurt with fresh fruit and granola in the morning (or any other time)so now I’m inspired to make my own again. The recipe I have is fine, but nothing like this one! Thanks dear Melissa… making my grocery list right NOW! Luv ya!

March 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi there honey bear! Thanks for the sweet note 🙂 I too love yogurt (Greek vanilla Oikos or Chobani) layered with juice-soaked berries and homemade granola. I just posted a breakfast parfait a couple weeks ago that I’ll share on your fb page. This granola is yummy when added to pancakes too, or as the crust for ice cream cake 🙂 xoxoox

4. March 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

This sounds like my type of granola! Anything with coconut is my favorite.

March 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm

YAY! so glad you like it! enjoy and thanks so much for stopping by! 🙂

5. Alison Arsenault
    September 15, 2012 at 11:27 am

I will have to try this, I love the combinationof maple & cranberries but will substitue almonds for the pecans as I like this combination the best.

September 15, 2012 at 5:09 pm

enjoy! 🙂

6. Angela Ortega
    January 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm

What can I use instead of Maple Syrup? I’m a diabetic, but would love to try this recipe and not sacrifice the taste. Thanks for your help! 🙂

January 12, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Hi Angela! maybe sugar free maple syrup?