banana ricotta cake with malibu chocolate drizzle

~ banana ricotta cake with malibu chocolate drizzle ~

We had a bunch of ripe bananas on the counter and ricotta left over from the Christmas gnocchi. I decided to get creative in the kitchen and make some banana ricotta magic. What I came up with is the moistest most flavorful banana cake I’ve ever tasted. Jeff and Gracie loved it, and Gracie is enjoying a piece with a glass of milk for her after-school snack as I write this. I made a simple Malibu rum chocolate drizzle instead of frosting, and garnished the pretty slices with a sprinkle of toasted coconut and a banana slice.

for the cake:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

1/4 cup olive oil

2 and 1/8 cup sugar

3 large eggs

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup ricotta cheese

1/2 cup buttermilk

2 teaspoons lemon juice

5 mashed, very ripe bananas

2 Tablespoons Malibu rum

3 cups all-purpose flour

In the bowl of a table top mixer, combine the softened butter, oil, eggs, vanilla, soda, salt, ricotta, buttermilk, lemon juice, bananas and Malibu rum. Using the whisk attachment, mix on medium speed until just combined. Add the flour, one cup at a time and mixing in between each addition until the dough is combined, and still slightly lumpy. Don’t overmix.

Pour into a buttered, 9 x 13 glass cake pan. Bake for an hour at 350, or until the cake is set and pops back when you gently press the middle with your index finger. Cool completely in the pan. Cut into squares and garnish with Malibu rum chocolate drizzle, toasted coconut and banana slices. Cover cake and refrigerate.

for Malibu chocolate drizzle:

In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup Hershey’s chocolate syrup and 3 Tablespoons Malibu rum. Using a spoon, drizzle over individual cake slices just prior to serving.

10 comments for “banana ricotta cake with malibu chocolate drizzle

1. January 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm

This looks amazing, although I’ve never been a massive fan of ricotta – though I reckon it probably wouldn’t be too “ricotta-like” once it was all baked up, right?

January 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm

exactly right. it just makes this cake super light and moist and perfect! such an easy recipe. enjoy 😉

• January 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Nice, thanks a lot 🙂 Oh, I didn’t tell you – I got a french press coffee jug from my Aunt-in-law (is that a correct term??) for Christmas! Yay… I’m sitting here drinking French press coffee right now 😀

January 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Well….ya know what that means! Please send measurements of the circumference and height…time for me to make a French press cozy 🙂 xo

• January 8, 2012 at 7:44 pm

<3 I was hoping you wouldn't forget 😀

Ok, here we go:

Total height (not including the little knob on top): 20 cm

Knob on top is an extra 2 cm of height

Diameter = 10.8 cm
            Circumference = 30.5 cm

In case it matters, the handle starts at the top, is 11 cm long, 2.5 cm wide.

Not sure if you need any extra dimensions… or maybe a photo or something to clarify the measurements!

Thanks so much Melissa – I can't wait to see it, and I'll spend some time thinking of some fun stuff to send you from France in the meantime! 🙂

January 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm

xo, Mister! will look at this and figure out what i need to do 😉

2. January 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

Oh, wow. It’s Saturday morning for me right now and I could absolutely do that for breakfast.

Wow.

January 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

hee hee…that’s funny because I was just thinking the same thing 🙂

3. Lanier Cordell
    October 5, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was trying to find something to do with ricotta cheese.

October 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

you’re so welcome! a great way to use up ripe bananas too! enjoy 😉