penelope’s rosemary-mint sugar & salt scrub

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

~ penelope’s  rosemary-mint sugar & salt scrub ~

I just love making homemade pampering products for family and friends. They add a personal touch to any gift basket, and you can let your imagination run wild while dreaming up new scents in your little kitchen “apothecary.”

Today I decided to get the ingredients together to make a rosemary-mint sugar and salt scrub. My friend Alice sent me a whole BUNCH of fresh rosemary to play with, and so far I’ve baked some into savory muffins and batter bread, scented my favorite garlic roasted, baby bliss potatoes and chopped up a little to add to this beautiful scrub!

To make:

In a glass bowl, mix 1 cup sugar,

1 cup epsom salts,

1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped fine,

1 cup pure grapseed oil,

20-30 drops pure rosemary essential oil,

and 20 drops pure peppermint essential oil.

Mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.

Scoop into glass containers, seal with tight fitting lids, and label.

To use:

This beautiful scrub can be used as an all-over body smoother while bathing or as an exfoliating hand treatment. Simply scoop out a generous amount while bathing or showering and apply to your body after you’ve finished washing. Rub all over, excluding face and genital area. Rinse thoroughly, and pat dry. This will leave your skin silky smooth and smelling wonderful! For a quick, moisturizing and aromatherapeutic “one minute manicure” just keep a jar of this lovely scrub next to your bathroom or kitchen sink and scoop out a little when your hands are feeling parched. Rub all over your hands and wrists for 60 seconds, rinse with warm water, and pat dry.

36 comments for “penelope’s rosemary-mint sugar & salt scrub

1. December 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Meeeewissssahhhh!! This is divine…omg, Penelope is loving become a spa diva and look at the foods she’s gracing…YOU are a genius!! xoxo Ally

December 27, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Hello my sweet Ally! Penelope is definitely happy floating around in all that grapeseed oil ;) Thanks again for the gorgeous herbs! xoxox

2. December 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm

sounds so goooood ♥
    i will try it very soon :) kisses dear Melissa

December 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

enjoy my sweet Emily! xoxo <3

3. December 28, 2011 at 8:55 am

This looks so amazing! I can just imagine the lovely smells … I have gotta get some of those oils so I can make it. My little pot of rosemary is thriving :)

December 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

Hello Ann! This is a great little spa recipe. It’s so easy with a very pleasing end result. Have fun playing with the herbs and essential oils. I like making a different scent every time I get the salt, oil and sugar ;) The rosemary mint is nice this time of year. Very invigorating. xoxoxo

4. December 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

I LOVE this! What a wonderful story of where Penelope came from. It makes this all the more special. Beautiful photo as well. I’ll be pinning this on Pinterest. :)

December 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

Hello Mama J! Ally is just a honey! So generous. I’ve been having so much fun figuring out different uses for Penelope :) Thanks for the compliment! That means a lot coming from you. LOVE your photography. :) xoxoxo

5. December 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love home-made pampering products too. My wife made a facial scrub using corn flour (the stuff used for cornbread, not corn starch) and unrefined honey. I was a bit reluctant at first but after a bit I “got my girl on” and scrubbed up my face with my wife :D Face felt so smooth afterwards ;)

December 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Love that story, Charles! So cute. If you like homemade pampering products, may I suggest my first books, Chin Deep in Bubbles and Welcome Home? They both contain tons of homemade pampering recipes. Available on Amazon ;) xo

6. Margie Ricker Show
    March 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Leisa Leaper, Congrats on being a new mother of the bride. Can’t believe it! I am a great mother in law so you can copy my good example!! Oh, and where the heck does one get rosewater? I want to make Turkish Delight. Have a happy and don’t forget to go all out for St. Patrick’s Day. Margie

March 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Maggie May :) I will copy your good example. Remember hanging from the trees while grapevine hunting? I will never forget that day. SO funny. You can buy culinary rosewater online and at specialty food stores. I’m sure places like the coop in stillwater and the Wedge carry it. Turkish delight is awesome. Thanks so much for commenting! xoxo Leisa Leaper :)

7. Nicole
    April 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I don’t know if anyone will see this question but….I have a ton of rosemary and fresh mint. Can I infuse the grape seed oil with the herbs and skip the essential oil?

April 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hello Nicole! You definitely can, but the scent will be much more mild. :)

• April 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm

You can “speed up” the infusing process a bit too by pouring the oil and herbs into a large pan and heating through… not too hot. Allow the oil to cool and then pour back into the bottle through a funnel.

April 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thanks Charles! :)

8. Liz
    September 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Looking forward to trying this. How long can I store scrubs containing fresh herbs? Should I put this in the fridge when not in use?

September 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hi Liz! the sugar and salt will act as preservatives for the fresh herbs…if you’re planning on making up a bunch for yourself then keep the extras in the fridge. the scrub will keep for a few weeks without being refrigerated. :) enjoy!

9. November 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything rosemary mint! One of my fav combos! Do you think dried rosemary will work as well as fresh?

10. Melissa
    November 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Hi Sara :) I’m not sure that dry rosemary would work….but maybe you could use some rosemary essential oil along with the mint instead? hope that works for you! xo

11. Karen Janetzke
    November 18, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Can I substitute olive oil for the grape seed oil?

November 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm

sure :)

12. Marla Burton
    February 4, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Where can I find these essential oils on line?
    Thx

13. Bren
    March 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Mmmmm I can’t wait to try this!!! :-)
    Can I ask where you got those pretty lids for the jars? And how you made the labels?

March 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi there, Bren :) the jars, lids and labels are all “Better Homes & Gardens” brand, purchased at Wal Mart. Enjoy the recipe! xo ~Melissa

14. Patricia
    June 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love the sound of this. I am definitely going to try it, blog about it and link the credit back to you Melissa. :D

You can find me at http://www.beautyinformer.wordpress.com

If you visit me, please check out my ‘blogger in focus’ series. Details are on the side bar xx

June 26, 2013 at 12:20 am

Thanks so much Patricia! I appreciate it. Enjoy :)

15. July 17, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Hi Melissa,

that looks absolutely wonderful…definitely something I would be interested in trying. Where do you get the rosemary and peppermint essential oils from?

Thanks,
    Sandi

July 18, 2013 at 6:21 am

Hi Sandi, I’m so happy you like the recipe. It’s so much fun to make your own “home spa” treatments. I purchase my essential oils at several different natural food/ whole foods grocery stores around the Twin Cities area. I’ve also gotten essential oils from online suppliers before. Aura Cacia is a brand I use often… here’s a link…

hope that helps!
      XO,
      Melissa

16. December 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm

This looks awesome Melissa! This is for sure going to be a gift making project for me!
    thanks!
    Jean

December 10, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hi Jean! I’m so glad you like this! Such a lovely scent for the holidays, and it really does make a great addition to Christmas gift baskets. XO :)

17. Jill
    April 24, 2014 at 10:55 am

About how many jars did you fill with this recipe?

April 29, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Hi Jill!
      This makes approximately 4 (1/2 pint) jars :)

~M

18. Aditi
    April 25, 2014 at 7:29 am

Amazing recipe….!!!
    Whatz the shelf lyf of this scrub??